Best Restaurants in Santo Domingo

E

ElVenao

I've been to all of them except #10 Il Bacareto. However for #8 Shibuya and #5 Trattoria Angiolino, I've only been once to those places.

Like most rankings, specially these based in culinary accomplishments, the opinions are fairly biased and relative. Most people are bound to disagree with these as everyone has their own different gauges of what constitutes a good restaurant. Additionally, it is hard to compare different types of foods and different price levels, etc.

Having said all this, I think the list is pretty solid. I wholeheartedly disagree with La Cassina even being a top 5. I believe it is extremely pricey for what they bring to the table. Almost every single time I've been there I have left disappointed. I think most of these restaurants are getting more notoriety due to being "flashy" and "upscale" rather than for the quality of their food (the quality of their food is good, nonetheless).

I strongly agree with Nipau, I think it is a very good & solid restaurant and I am happy to see it in this list. I agree with Pat'e Palo as well, very solid restaurant. The rest you could argue.

M

Mcinbrass

I've been to all of them except #10 Il Bacareto. However for #8 Shibuya and #5 Trattoria Angiolino, I've only been once to those places.

Like most rankings, specially these based in culinary accomplishments, the opinions are fairly biased and relative. Most people are bound to disagree with these as everyone has their own different gauges of what constitutes a good restaurant. Additionally, it is hard to compare different types of foods and different price levels, etc.

Having said all this, I think the list is pretty solid. I wholeheartedly disagree with La Cassina even being a top 5. I believe it is extremely pricey for what they bring to the table. Almost every single time I've been there I have left disappointed. I think most of these restaurants are getting more notoriety due to being "flashy" and "upscale" rather than for the quality of their food (the quality of their food is good, nonetheless).

I strongly agree with Nipau, I think it is a very good & solid restaurant and I am happy to see it in this list. I agree with Pat'e Palo as well, very solid restaurant. The rest you could argue.

Keep in mind though that when sitting peacefully in one of these establishments some thug can ride up on a motorcycle and rob or shoot you in the back.

E

ElVenao

Keep in mind though that when sitting peacefully in one of these establishments some thug can ride up on a motorcycle and rob or shoot you in the back.

as can happen as well when you're in your home or office sitting quietly and posting in DR1...

funny comment to make? lets shed a better light around here brother :)

F

Fulano2

Try this in Don Pepe, have you been there?

Last edited:
A

alexw

Im positive none of these establishments are on Avenida Venezuela. Tranquilo

J

JDJones

Try this in Don Pepe, have you been there?

I can never get in the place. The parking lot is always full of Ultra expensive vehicles. Seriously.

If you wondering if a place is good and expensive, just check to see how many govt. jeepetas there are in the parking lot.

Meanwhile, back at the cafeteria, thousands of dollars of expensive food is tossed every day. (But that's another thread)

T

TropicalPaul

I have been to Pat e Palo several times and every single time I think it is terrible. The last time we went my food was cold and my colleague was served fish which had definitely gone off. While we were waiting for replacement dishes, having not eaten anything at all, the waiter returned and asked if we wanted dessert or coffee. A lot of people I know are saying that it has seriously gone down.

I think that Buche Perico is far better for food quality, ambience and value for money. I'm surprised they didn't make it onto the list.

K

keepcoming

Don Pepe is good, crowded but good. Their Paella is really good, pricey though.

J

Joe Boots

I know when in Dom Rep it is great to visit local restaurants. But I went to Tony Romas there because I was a bit homesick. And man they took it to another level. I had a great time. I remember the small one in the Malecone Center. This new one is huge and the staff were great, food was excellent and price was right. Just saying....Davey Crockets was a nice steak house good place for a beef hunger. In Juan Dolio, Paladart and El Meson are winners! Also for some excellent local fast food the Corner of Pasteur and Ave Independencia Villar Hermanos bakery has a whole selection of great stuff. I also like the Grand on conde and Independencia, Lunch trays are very good, and try the Issy Iced Cappuccino sweet but OMG!

C

cobraboy

Restaurante Il Cappuccino on Capitán Eugenio de Marchena, just down the street from Leonel Fernandez's office is outstanding! Old Sccool Italian, cosmic pizza and a freezer full of gelato!

H

hard times doug

Restaurante Il Cappuccino on Capitán Eugenio de Marchena, just down the street from Leonel Fernandez's office is outstanding! Old Sccool Italian, cosmic pizza and a freezer full of gelato!

Il Cappuccino has been my go to restaurant for years. Got to know the owner and they prepare whatever I request. Once you find a restaurant like this you become a fixture. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

A

AlterEgo

Il Cappuccino has been my go to restaurant for years. Got to know the owner and they prepare whatever I request. Once you find a restaurant like this you become a fixture. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

We went there once, with mountainannie when she still lived in Santo Domingo, excellent food AND desserts

K

keepcoming

El Meson is a oldie but goodie. Haven't been in awhile but always bring our out of town guests there. Good food but even better atmosphere. Miss the days when Vesuvio use to be really good and the place to go.

P

playacaribe2

El Meson is a oldie but goodie. Haven't been in awhile but always bring our out of town guests there. Good food but even better atmosphere. Miss the days when Vesuvio use to be really good and the place to go.

Ahhhh Vesuvio........in another time..........that was the place to see and be seen in Santo Domingo.........and the food was even great back then........until......

Don Pepe when it was in Gazcue.

Sully's for seafood.

The old Chalet Suisso or was it Suisso Chalet......when Peter ran it.

My other go to place that will not make a top ten list for snobbery........but I always had a good meal there is Vizcaya.

Certainly others.........Mediterranean place whose name escapes me at the moment (Sharazad?).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

T

TropicalPaul

Ahhhh Vesuvio........in another time..........that was the place to see and be seen in Santo Domingo.........and the food was even great back then........until......

Don Pepe when it was in Gazcue.

Sully's for seafood.

The old Chalet Suisso or was it Suisso Chalet......when Peter ran it.

My other go to place that will not make a top ten list for snobbery........but I always had a good meal there is Vizcaya.

Certainly others.........Mediterranean place whose name escapes me at the moment (Sharazad?).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I agree about Vizcaya, you always see lots of guys have secret lunches with their secretaries there and it's the kind of place that you could imagine being in a scene from a spy film.

J

jinty05

No at all possible in La Bottega or Don Pepe.....2sets of security doors with armed watchmen