Medical Flight To USA?

J

Jumbo

Does anyone have experience with medical flight to the states. For those that remember SosuaBilly he had a massive stroke in Jamao Sunday morning. In very bad condition. Hoping to get some first hand experience with the process. Trying to help his daughter figure this sh!t out. So any experience ( especially what has been paid in the past ) would be appreciated. I remember someone about 10 years ago saying it was 27K from POP to Miami. Thank you.......

C

Caonabo

Is this a legitimate posting? If so, please send me a private message.

J

Jumbo

Is this a legitimate posting? If so, please send me a private message.

Yes, trying to weight options. But most likely money spent on a Medflight is wasted and best used on rehab in the DR.
Please close thread.

Thank you

C

cobraboy

Does anyone have experience with medical flight to the states. For those that remember SosuaBilly he had a massive stroke in Jamao Sunday morning. In very bad condition. Hoping to get some first hand experience with the process. Trying to help his daughter figure this sh!t out. So any experience ( especially what has been paid in the past ) would be appreciated. I remember someone about 10 years ago saying it was 27K from POP to Miami. Thank you.......
It is probably more now. I have had a lot of experience with med-evac companies.

Z

zoomzx11

Its ultra expensive unless you are a man of means or have half of a man of means.
If the price makes your eyes water then you are fine right where you are for a while.

D

DR Solar

We still have the same medical insurance company that we used while living full time in the U.S., but the rates dropped with us living full time in the D.R. (have never been close to being over the U.S. $5K deductible here in the D.R..) We added emergency medical air and our rates are still lower then what we paid while in the U.S. and covers us anyplace in the World as long as our main home/residence is in the D.R.

Our Dominican auto insurance also has an emergency helicopter air rescue if we are in a car accident here and needed.

Sorry about your friend. Sometimes the airlines can give you advice and help.

K

keepcoming

You may be able to get a Med Flight to the USA for 27k or so. You may also be able to get it cheaper if a Med Flight is coming back empty from the area. Does your friend have Medicare or other ins in the USA? May be worth it to go back to the USA for Rehab/Skilled Facility.

J

Jumbo

Rehab is my main concern. The doctors in Moca are fantastic. That is after a gringa showed up with Benjamin’s. He has been living in DR for over 20 years but still has VA and Medicare medical ins.. Going to Moca tomorrow. Since someone tried to force feed him food got in the lungs and causing pneumonia. I appreciate all the replies and will update this thread if Medflight assistance is done. This event has me thinking and am going to look into all insurance options when I retire and live full time in the DR. For now Allianz travel insurance has an under 100USD medical policy including medflight for 55 and under.

For those that may remember Billy he is the character with the website expatinparedise that hung at the Shark Bar on the beach in the early to mid 2000’s. He is an all around great guy and better host....