The $10 Fee On Airline Tickets To DR...

J

jimmythegreek

If you buy a fully refundable fare ticket....refund the ticket, but the $10 to DR still disappears...so more of the same in this country, but now collecting a tax on something that never existed...is there any way to reclaim? If there is..be assured it is probably a bureaucratic nightmare....Airlines say there is nothing that they can do about it...lol.

L

Luperon

If you buy a fully refundable fare ticket....refund the ticket, but the $10 to DR still disappears...so more of the same in this country, but now collecting a tax on something that never existed...is there any way to reclaim? If there is..be assured it is probably a bureaucratic nightmare....Airlines say there is nothing that they can do about it...lol.
I tried to claim the $10 on-line. The upload failed on my phone, several times. Should have used a computer but was too lazy.

link.

https://dgii.gov.do/TturistaWeb/ReembolsoTT/ReembolsoTT/RegistrarReembolso

I hope the overall DR corruption and this $10 fee somehow work its way into the recent national news stories, might be the start of a big change.

D

drstock

I believe you have to find some reference to it on your paperwork from the airline, which I have never managed to do. Most people just accept being ripped off for the $10 because trying to get it back is just too much hassle. So much for the advantages of Residency!

C

chico bill

Who cries over $10 after getting their airfare refunded except for that ?
I say consider it too much work to chase that $10

R

Riva_31

As I book online in webpages out of the DR I have to claim my refund every time and works, maybe you think is too much work but after you do it first time find it easy next time. The refund go str8 to your credit card, they says can take up to 10 business days to be reflect in your credit card but to me always takes no more than 3 days.

F

franco1111

This seems strange. It seems you say that you ask for a refund of the ticket price that you paid and the airline does not refund the $10 tourist tax? Obviously, not right since you did not take the flight and arrive in DR on that ticket. The airline owes you the $10 not the DR.

F

franco1111

I believe you have to find some reference to it on your paperwork from the airline, which I have never managed to do. Most people just accept being ripped off for the $10 because trying to get it back is just too much hassle. So much for the advantages of Residency!

The tax is labeled L8. You have to get a receipt from the airline that lists all the charges including taxes. Easy with some airlines you just click on a link in the email from them that confirms your ticket. A bit more difficult with Jet Blue for example, you have to request the receipt by email. But, they do send it.

The last couple times, it has taken only three days for DGII to refund the tax and for it to be in my credit card account.

The only work involved is to scan your ticket and receipt. Send with copy of passport and residency card which I keep on the computer so do not have scan each time. About 10 minutes, so arguably not worth the time?

R

Riva_31

The tax is labeled L8. You have to get a receipt from the airline that lists all the charges including taxes. Easy with some airlines you just click on a link in the email from them that confirms your ticket. A bit more difficult with Jet Blue for example, you have to request the receipt by email. But, they do send it.

The last couple times, it has taken only three days for DGII to refund the tax and for it to be in my credit card account.

The only work involved is to scan your ticket and receipt. Send with copy of passport and residency card which I keep on the computer so do not have scan each time. About 10 minutes, so arguably not worth the time?

With Jetblue if you click on top of the tax word above the tax amount you get the tax brakedown.

F

franco1111

With Jetblue if you click on top of the tax word above the tax amount you get the tax brakedown.

Thanks. I will look next time. I think I have tried everything. They also have a link that does not work to get a receipt for tourist tax. They fly planes better than they do receipts. Usually : )

D

drstock

The last couple of times I entered the DR was with Eurowings and I could find no reference to L8 on their paperwork. I don't think I'll be able to use them in the future, so I'll try to somehow remember L8 to look for on the next airline's paperwork.

F

franco1111

The last couple of times I entered the DR was with Eurowings and I could find no reference to L8 on their paperwork. I don't think I'll be able to use them in the future, so I'll try to somehow remember L8 to look for on the next airline's paperwork.

It is specifically a receipt for purchase of the ticket that you need. A receipt that shows all costs of the flight, including the DR tourist tax. You have to upload a scanned copy of the receipt to DGII web site to get the refund. And, a copy of your actual ticket, or the electronic copy. Is it possible that European airlines show the tourist tax with different designation than L8? L8 is U.S. airlines for sure, I have flown at least two different U.S. airlines that show it as L8.

J

jimmythegreek

This seems strange. It seems you say that you ask for a refund of the ticket price that you paid and the airline does not refund the $10 tourist tax? Obviously, not right since you did not take the flight and arrive in DR on that ticket. The airline owes you the $10 not the DR.

The airline..Jet Blue..claims that they can not recover the tax even on a fully refundable ticket. Also, there is a disclaimer on their website that claims for all US citizens and others...non DR citizens and residents...the tax is non refundable at the time the ticket is purchased outside DR.

T

TropicalPaul

I have claimed it a few times. It probably takes about 10 minutes to claim and I do it as a matter of principal since we should not be charged if we have residency.

B

bigbird

I have claimed it a few times. It probably takes about 10 minutes to claim and I do it as a matter of principal since we should not be charged if we have residency.

Same here. You have thirty days from the date of your arrival flight to claim the $10 bucks. Anything after 30 they won't pay, I learned from experience.

F

franco1111

The airline..Jet Blue..claims that they can not recover the tax even on a fully refundable ticket. Also, there is a disclaimer on their website that claims for all US citizens and others...non DR citizens and residents...the tax is non refundable at the time the ticket is purchased outside DR.

Hard to believe. This means the moment you make the reservation and pay, they send the $10 to DGII? And, then they cannot retrieve it. The logical approach would be that when the plane lands in DR, tourist tax for everyone on the plane is sent to DGII account electronically. I don't think the excuse can be illogical DR process, but I guess it is. As you say, more BS. At least they warn you in the fine print.