British Airways London-Punta Cana

D

drstock

It's a pity they couldn't send just one of them to Puerto Plata.

J

John Boyter

British Airways will have direct flights 4 days a week between London and Punta Cana, December through March

https://almomento.net/informe-turistico-british-airways-tendra-nueva-frecuencia-londres-punta-cana/

I have taken this flight several times now Punta Cana to Gatwick London. I thought it had been 4 days a week for some years now. It is also easy from Santo Domingo. I take the Bavaro Express bus from Ave Maximo Gomez and it goes directly to the airport and is a very comfortable bus and the station in a very safe area. Very easy. But then from the airport to Santo Domingo you need to go the bus station in Veron. I don't know why they dont pick up people at the airport.

T

TropicalPaul

They are increasing the frequency to 4 per week just for three months - it starts mid December and runs to the end of March. After that they are going back to 3 days per week. I am aware that they have been asked officially if they would consider running a service to Santo Domingo and their response is always that they code-share with Iberia - part of the same company - who fly almost daily from Madrid to Santo Domingo. Let's hope the 4 days per week works out for them and becomes permanent. Worth noting that Air France flies 10 times per week Paris - Punta Cana so BA is well behind the curve on this one. Also worth noting that Virgin Atlantic doesn't fly at all from London - Dom Rep even though they have a direct service to most other Caribbean islands including Cuba. Would be wonderful if they started a service to give BA some more competition.

B

Buffness

I have taken this flight several times now Punta Cana to Gatwick London. I thought it had been 4 days a week for some years now. .

Yes, I was thinking the same .This sounds like the same old BA2204 route . We were regulars on this route and I think it has changed frequency several times from to 3 or 4 times a week over the years. It used to stop at Antigua for an hour or so....to pick up new passengers and/or crew ( not sure if that still happens ) .

They used to spray the cabin with some insecticides or something, they then feed you , shut off the lights and wake you up ...an hour or so before landing.... to feed you again with heated English breakfast ....and by 8:25 am you will be at the airport in Gatwick....freezing cold and missing the DR already ..... We took this route twice a month for 3 years .

T

TropicalPaul

Yes, I was thinking the same .This sounds like the same old BA2204 route . We were regulars on this route and I think it has changed frequency several times from to 3 or 4 times a week over the years. It used to stop at Antigua for an hour or so....to pick up new passengers and/or crew ( not sure if that still happens ) .

It's only ever been 3 times a week up until now. December will be the first time they go 4 times a week. And they have flown direct Gatwick - Punta Cana for about 4 years now.

J

John Boyter

The flight is very convenient for me as I have family in Kent, England and Gatwick is the closest airport. I don’t find it an issue that its from Punta Cana. The bus station in Santo Domingo for the Bavaro Express is close for me. Going to and from the Las Americas airport can be uncomfortable anyway. Also Punta Cana airport is much better and immigration easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U

Uzin

As I have said many times before, it is a great opportunity for an entrepreneur to set up a bus or min-van service from Punta Cana to Cabarete, Sosua, Puerto Plata and return to coincide with this flight's arrival and departure at a reasonable cost. I am sure it will work well, imagine setting up a web page with booking and foreign CC paying option and you are good to go. Even 20 people out of this flight picked up and returned (good thing is you always get the returns too as they buy a return flight) and he/she will be making a "killing" - sorry bad wording for current DR propaganda.... ! lol

As far as I have checked, there is no easy way and I would not want to do that trip with luggage twice ! Now with family and kids, forget it.... But a direct, reliable service, many might consider it.

P

PJT

I have taken this flight several times now Punta Cana to Gatwick London. I thought it had been 4 days a week for some years now. It is also easy from Santo Domingo. I take the Bavaro Express bus from Ave Maximo Gomez and it goes directly to the airport and is a very comfortable bus and the station in a very safe area. Very easy. But then from the airport to Santo Domingo you need to go the bus station in Veron. I don't know why they dont pick up people at the airport.

It is great there will be more access to the DR from London.

Now, to get to the object of this post is the reason the buses do not pick up at the airport proper is because the taxi sindicates have a lock on the public's for hire carriage. They are violently protective of this license.

Regards,

PJT

J

John Boyter

It is great there will be more access to the DR from London.

Now, to get to the object of this post is the reason the buses do not pick up at the airport proper is because the taxi sindicates have a lock on the public's for hire carriage. They are violently protective of this license.

Regards,

PJT

I just got back from Europe taking the BA flight from Punta Cana to Gatwick and visiting family in England and then Denmark flying Heathrow-CPH-Aarhus. Not easy to get to Aarhus where I am originally from. Then when I flew back and landed in Punta Cana the issue again of getting the bus in Veron to Santo Domingo as it does not pick up at the airport. So as easy it is when leaving as difficult it is when arriving. I ended up staying a night in a hotel and next day take a taxi to the bus station. I dont think I will do it that way again. Ridiculous with those taxi sindicates. Same reason they dont have Uber or other competition out there.

R

Riva_31

I just got back from Europe taking the BA flight from Punta Cana to Gatwick and visiting family in England and then Denmark flying Heathrow-CPH-Aarhus. Not easy to get to Aarhus where I am originally from. Then when I flew back and landed in Punta Cana the issue again of getting the bus in Veron to Santo Domingo as it does not pick up at the airport. So as easy it is when leaving as difficult it is when arriving. I ended up staying a night in a hotel and next day take a taxi to the bus station. I dont think I will do it that way again. Ridiculous with those taxi sindicates. Same reason they dont have Uber or other competition out there.

What about stop in MAD and la d in Santo Domingo with Iberia? They have codeshare

T

TropicalPaul

What about stop in MAD and la d in Santo Domingo with Iberia? They have codeshare

Coming from London, the problem with MAD is that Spain is generally one hour ahead of the UK and that flight normally leaves MAD at 12 mid-day. So you need to leave Heathrow at 7am (which means a 5am check-in) to make the connection. It's the same with Air France, their flight to Santo Domingo / Punta Cana from Paris leaves about 12 so it isn't easy to do from London. Routing from London to Miami then American to Santo Domingo, or London to Atlanta / New York then Delta to Santo Domingo are also options, but you need to leave time for a long connection in case there are long waits at US immigration. The BA2205 from Gatwick normally lands at 4.15pm earliest, sometimes 7.15pm. Both of which are too late to make the Expreso Bavaro bus even if you get straight out and jump into a taxi to Veron. So to me, if you're coming from London, the only sensible way is the direct BA flight and stomach the cost of a taxi from Punta Cana - which you can get down to US$ 100 if you shop around.

Getting back to London is much easier. Iberia going from Santo Domingo to London works well. You leave Santo Domingo at about 4pm, arrive in Madrid at 6am and there are a lot of connecting flights to London which leave Madrid at 9am. Or you can use Expreso Bavaro to Punta Cana, the bus drops right outside the terminal, and then get the direct BA to London.

U

Uzin

Good analysis and suggestions, but also note that one-way flights costs on most major airlines (like BA) are far more expensive than half the return flights prices. Something to bear in mind if coming via one route and returning via another....

This is not so much with smaller airlines that do chartered flights and package holidays, like TUI or Eurowings etc...

W

william webster

I book a lot of 1 way flights.... and see little difference-----USA to RD, Canada to RD

S

SKY

Sometimes it is cheaper to book 2 one way flights from the Dr than a return duo. Something about the way they tax the tickets.