Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
    Coming from London, the problem with MAD is that Spain is generally one hour ahead of the UK and that flight normally leaves MAD at 12 mid-day. So you need to leave Heathrow at 7am (which means a 5am check-in) to make the connection. It's the same with Air France, their flight to Santo Domingo / Punta Cana from Paris leaves about 12 so it isn't easy to do from London. Routing from London to Miami then American to Santo Domingo, or London to Atlanta / New York then Delta to Santo Domingo are also options, but you need to leave time for a long connection in case there are long waits at US immigration. The BA2205 from Gatwick normally lands at 4.15pm earliest, sometimes 7.15pm. Both of which are too late to make the Expreso Bavaro bus even if you get straight out and jump into a taxi to Veron. So to me, if you're coming from London, the only sensible way is the direct BA flight and stomach the cost of a taxi from Punta Cana - which you can get down to US$ 100 if you shop around.

Getting back to London is much easier. Iberia going from Santo Domingo to London works well. You leave Santo Domingo at about 4pm, arrive in Madrid at 6am and there are a lot of connecting flights to London which leave Madrid at 9am. Or you can use Expreso Bavaro to Punta Cana, the bus drops right outside the terminal, and then get the direct BA to London.
    I will probably end up doing what you are suggesting next time. Pay a taxi into Santo Domingo. 100 USD sounds reasonable and I save the hotel.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

As I mentioned some airlines are crazy with one-way flight prices, to make a point I just checked BA now (you can try for yourself):

www.britishairways.co.uk

- Flight return from LGW to PUJ direct going 17 Nov, back 15 Dec is £603

- Flight single from LGW to PUJ direct going 17 Nov, is £1233... !?!?

- Flight single from PUJ to LGW direct going 15 Dec, is $1379.... !?!?

Just to be sure I checked on Skyscanner.net too, if you buy from Kiwi.com you get :

- Flight single from LGW to PUJ direct going 17 Nov, is £631... !?!? (the price of a return ticket to be used as one-way, I think)

- Flight single from PUJ to LGW direct going 15 Dec, $1800 ... !? (just crazy)

Check one-way flight prices before making big plans, they might not be what you expect.....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Sometimes it is cheaper to book 2 one way flights from the Dr than a return duo. Something about the way they tax the tickets.
    Flights originating in RD are taxed differently....

But not to the point Uzin examples show.
    All airlines are different, all times are different - even day to day

It can be tricky....

I have rec'd $800 credit from JetBlue to cover their price drop.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    What about stop in MAD and la d in Santo Domingo with Iberia? They have codeshare
    That would especially be a good solution if I only travel to Denmark. I have codeshare from AA with BA and Iberia. I like to travel to England too though and spend some time there visiting family there. The big advantage with both options Punta Cana - Gatwick, London or SD-Madrid is to avoid traveling via the US.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind flying through the US anymore. I have gone through the US 3 times in the last year from Santiago and so I guess they consider me a frequent flyer as when getting the printed immigration ticket I no longer have the X on the ticket which means I did not have to do the large queue in the immigration. I just flew to the UK from Santiago via Miami. Basic ticket price was U$288 then flew Miami to Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic for U$510. On my trip back I stayed in Florida for 4 days at a friends house and did a lot of Christmas shopping which has now saved me a lot of shipping costs as I usually buy everything on Amazon and have it shipped here. I have figured that just the ticket from Miami to the UK is about the same as the shipping costs for all the Christmas presents I buy for my family so I got a trip to the UK out of all that!!! I flew to the UK with an empty suitcase inside my other suitcase to avoid extra baggage fees and when I returned to Miami I went shopping and filled the sucker up....I came back to Santiago with 2 suitcases, a carry on case and a backpack, total weight of about 142lbs (52 each in the suitcase, 22 in my carry on case and 18 in my backpack) and only paid U$40 for the extra suitcase!! After figuring it all out I now know that I could fly to Miami from Santiago, have a short vacation and go shopping at Sawgrass Mill Mall, which is among the largest mall in the US which is absolutely huge and spend less money than having all the gifts I buy at Christmas shipped here by a courier service (oh, I do tend to spoil my wife and kids hence the high amount of courier fees I pay each Christmas). OK, I have the advantage of free accommodation at my friends house that keeps the expenses much lower.
    Anyway, my point was that my recent flights via the US have not been that bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    British Airways will have direct flights 4 days a week between London and Punta Cana, December through March

https://almomento.net/informe-turist...es-punta-cana/
    That's Great!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123