General Stuff - Everything w/o a Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

william webster

I have been traveling and therefore absent --- but I saw this [post in passing

DR1
Post Thanks / Like
With all the bickering, accusations, insults, etc., this thread is a hanging by a fine thread to stay open. The same people are repeating themselves over and over and over (see how annoying that is?)

I’ve had multiple complaints about this and a couple of other threads.

From this point forward, across the board in all threads, there will be decorum. No insults, no accusations, no repeating of your personal assessment of what happened. We already know what you think.

Post links, NOT Your opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I , for one, have a comment.

Unlike another poster who took offense to it - I welcome it.

This type of 'debate' or 'opinion' has become commonplace here and to me , isn't productive.

Our dear dissenter , postulates that we are to entitled to give 'opinions' on internet forums.
I agree
It's not the opinions being criticized here... but their delivery.

It seems this poster got the medicine he requested.... c'est la vie.

Those of us longer term members have seen the gradual deterioration that can occur without proper moderation........ or improper moderation (if you will)

Will that breakdown ever be repaired ?
Can it be repaired ?
That's the question.

Many of the long term posters left .
Some have died.
Some may have left the island.

On occasion, I still find a nugget of useful information here.
On occasion, I try to offer such a nugget.

I haven't quit yet.....
And moderation like AE's recent edict give me encouragement.

I am interested in hearing the thoughts of others.... we all should be !!
If we want to continue to have a worthwhile forum.

Sorry about the length of my post....
I would hate to challenge the record holder !!!

hahaha

D

Derfish

Right, we need good moderation. It seems to have gotten better the last few years.
Derfish

E

El Rey de Mangu

I have been traveling and therefore absent --- but I saw this [post in passing

DR1
Post Thanks / Like
With all the bickering, accusations, insults, etc., this thread is a hanging by a fine thread to stay open. The same people are repeating themselves over and over and over (see how annoying that is?)

I’ve had multiple complaints about this and a couple of other threads.

From this point forward, across the board in all threads, there will be decorum. No insults, no accusations, no repeating of your personal assessment of what happened. We already know what you think.

Post links, NOT Your opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I , for one, have a comment.

Unlike another poster who took offense to it - I welcome it.

This type of 'debate' or 'opinion' has become commonplace here and to me , isn't productive.

Our dear dissenter , postulates that we are to entitled to give 'opinions' on internet forums.
I agree
It's not the opinions being criticized here... but their delivery.

It seems this poster got the medicine he requested.... c'est la vie.

Those of us longer term members have seen the gradual deterioration that can occur without proper moderation........ or improper moderation (if you will)

Will that breakdown ever be repaired ?
Can it be repaired ?
That's the question.

Many of the long term posters left .
Some have died.
Some may have left the island.

On occasion, I still find a nugget of useful information here.
On occasion, I try to offer such a nugget.

I haven't quit yet.....
And moderation like AE's recent edict give me encouragement.

I am interested in hearing the thoughts of others.... we all should be !!
If we want to continue to have a worthwhile forum.

Sorry about the length of my post....
I would hate to challenge the record holder !!!

hahaha

I got the smack-down the other day as well, but privately. It doesn't bother me. I can appreciate that this is an operation with a history. Also a reputation. On the Internet, things can degrade quickly to utter disgustingness, especially when politics are involved.

I remember when I first moved here in December of 2004, my ex had gained valuable info from this community which helped our transition, although she was herself Dominican. I appreciate that. The past 10 years have been difficult for me here and I have spent 8 raising my 2 daughters solo, due to the Fiscalia NNA granting me full custody. I have come back ro DR1 and still find it a nice, friendly place to hang out, learn, help out and have some fun. So I can take getting disciplined - I'm over the ego stuff.

What I don't appreciate are double standards, bullying, etc., shutting someone down just because they are republican, democrat, 20K posts or 10 posts, male or female, resident or visitor. This happens way too much. But I assume the mods are doing their best in a tough industry.

B

bob saunders

I got the smack-down the other day as well, but privately. It doesn't bother me. I can appreciate that this is an operation with a history. Also a reputation. On the Internet, things can degrade quickly to utter disgustingness, especially when politics are involved.

I remember when I first moved here in December of 2004, my ex had gained valuable info from this community which helped our transition, although she was herself Dominican. I appreciate that. The past 10 years have been difficult for me here and I have spent 8 raising my 2 daughters solo, due to the Fiscalia NNA granting me full custody. I have come back ro DR1 and still find it a nice, friendly place to hang out, learn, help out and have some fun. So I can take getting disciplined - I'm over the ego stuff.

What I don't appreciate are double standards, bullying, etc., shutting someone down just because they are republican, democrat, 20K posts or 10 posts, male or female, resident or visitor. This happens way too much. But I assume the mods are doing their best in a tough industry.

Too bad the rest of the board doesn't know who the complainers are, so we would know if they have a legit complaint or are using the complaint as a weapon.

W

william webster

I have been given infractions.... but never an explanation of why or what was offensive.

Just a long generic list of possible reasons for the penalty.

I like the better direction we get now

C

chico bill

Seems it would be better to have a PM with a warning, a friendly explanation with details as to why.

Just issuing infractions, and sometimes for little to no reason, reminds me of a old time Southern sheriff hiding behind a tree on a country back road, just waiting to issue a Yankee a ticket because you saw the license plate.

I find Carlos to be the fairest in this regard.

F

frank12

The Trolls: Sofa Surfing Cowboys

How to make DR1 great again.

I think everyone wants to see DR1 get better and flourish.

People turn to DR1 everyday to get information and check up on any relevant updates to the island. It's a treasure trove of important information and experts from all walks of life.

Unfortunately, the Trolls are bringing it down to the lowest common denominator.

People with well-reasoned, well-balanced opinions, arguments and information are immediately pushed to the edges until they teeter there for a minute before being pushed off.

A lot of good people have left or are now silent. Anyone with a moderate, reasonable opinion will not touch most things on here because of this pack mentality and desire to attack, repeatedly, and relentlessly.

On the occasion when someone with a moderate view does comment, they are immediately lambasted for consuming oxygen and occupying the same planet.

Who has the energy, or the time...or the inclination to argue back and forth all day over something as innocuous as a misspelling or misplacement of a word?

Why are all Trolls men?

There's got to be a good psychological reason for that? I don't know why that is. I don't know if anyone here knows why that is? Why are most psychopaths in this world men? Why are most serial killers men? Why are most winners of Darwin Awards, America's Dumbest Criminals, etc...all men?

Members come, and members go, and some members die or get sick. I get that. I understand it. This is true for every group out there. But rarely do you see a group shrink and slowly die off, only to be dominated by a few rampant, vicious, and truly mean individuals.

Here are some examples of what could be:

I got two FB pages that i started. One was started in November of 2014. The other i believe was started less then 1.5 years ago. The moderators are only me and a previous member on here "Pollogringo." We get between 20-member to 70-member requests a day to join the groups. Both groups started with less then 30-members. I could have immediately added all of my friends from my other pages and had over a thousand members on the first day, but i hate when people add me to a groups of which i know nothing about, nor have any interest in. We let the groups and membership grow naturally. Whenever someone starts trolling a thread, we immediately kick them out, or until recently, FB has added a few controls where you can "Mute" the member, or make it so that whenever that member comments, a moderator has to "approve" the comment before it is seen by anyone else.

Back to the Trolls.

I don't know what the answer is here. But one answer is not allowing the same 5 or 6 people to dominate every single thread. Who wants to participate in a thread where the same people are coming on and overwhelming the thread with their negativity and constant criticism?

A few members on here have taken it up a whole new level, where, if certain people comment, they immediately go into "Attack Mode" and start trolling that person, effectively driving the person underground or completely out of the thread--possibly out of DR1 completely.

Some people will try to reason with certain individuals, but that in itself requires too much energy because if you step away to, say...go to work, go pick up your children, or even go to the bathroom, by the time you get back these 4 or 5 individuals have added more then three or four pages of Troll comments. At that point, there is no use in trying to respond to them, because that will bring on another 3 or 4 pages of additional Trolling comments.

Basically, what's going on is this: a moderate view or opinion can bring on an onslaught of vicious attacks that will quickly dominate the discussion.

There's simply not enough free time or hours in the day to counter things. It requires too much energy. Also, the same 4 or 5 individuals can overwhelm any reasonable argument.

Sofa Surfing Cowboys on the move...

There are many toxic individuals. Way too many. I suppose that the biggest reason for this is because a lot of people here are retired and have nothing better to do. I get that. I understand it. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with it up until people become so toxic in their comments that they have to criticize a spelling mistake, a person's physical feature, a person's occupation, a person's hobby, a person's place of residence, etc.

The bigger the Troll, the bigger the criticisms the troll makes.

The Trolls have one thing on their side that many others do not: Time. They have the time to pursue every single thread and disagreement available. They have the ability to overwhelm and dominate every topic to such a degree that no one person could possibly keep up.

H

Harleysrock

I hope this doesn’t get closed bc you are 100% correct, 10 people have ruined this site for people who actually want or need help. It’s quite sad. Luckily I don’t have time to read it all anymore!

C

cavok

You're misusing the word "troll". Some people have a lot more to say than others. Limiting the number of posts someone an make is a bad idea. Let the moderators decide on this. Most of the do a very good job. I don't want to hear just mediocre, moderate opinions. Posters are entitled to their opinions, regardless of how crazy they might seem to others.

Last edited:
E

El Rey de Mangu

People turn to DR1 everyday to get information and check up on any relevant updates to the island. It's a treasure trove of important information and experts from all walks of life.

Unfortunately, the Trolls are bringing it down to the lowest common denominator.

People with well-reasoned, well-balanced opinions, arguments and information are immediately pushed to the edges until they teeter there for a minute before being pushed off.

A lot of good people have left or are now silent. Anyone with a moderate, reasonable opinion will not touch most things on here because of this pack mentality and desire to attack, repeatedly, and relentlessly.

On the occasion when someone with a moderate view does comment, they are immediately lambasted for consuming oxygen and occupying the same planet.

Who has the energy, or the time...or the inclination to argue back and forth all day over something as innocuous as a misspelling or misplacement of a word?

Why are all Trolls men?

There's got to be a good psychological reason for that? I don't know why that is. I don't know if anyone here knows why that is? Why are most psychopaths in this world men? Why are most serial killers men? Why are most winners of Darwin Awards, America's Dumbest Criminals, etc...all men?

Members come, and members go, and some members die or get sick. I get that. I understand it. This is true for every group out there. But rarely do you see a group shrink and slowly die off, only to be dominated by a few rampant, vicious, and truly mean individuals.

I got two FB pages that i started. One was started in November of 2014. The other i believe was started less then 1.5 years ago. The moderators are only me and a previous member on here "Pollogringo." We get between 20-member to 70-member requests a day to join the groups. Both groups started with less then 30-members. I could have immediately added all of my friends from my other pages and had over a thousand members on the first day, but i hate when people add me to a groups of which i know nothing about, nor have any interest in. We let the groups and membership grow naturally. Whenever someone starts trolling a thread, we immediately kick them out, or until recently, FB has added a few controls where you can "Mute" the member, or make it so that whenever that member comments, a moderator has to "approve" the comment before it is seen by anyone else.

Back to the Trolls.

I don't know what the answer is here. But one answer is not allowing the same 5 or 6 people to dominate every single thread. Who wants to participate in a thread where the same people are coming on and overwhelming the thread with their negativity and constant criticism?

A few members on here have taken it up a whole new level, where, if certain people comment, they immediately go into "Attack Mode" and start trolling that person, effectively driving the person underground or completely out of the thread--possibly out of DR1 completely.

Some people will try to reason with certain individuals, but that in itself requires too much energy because if you step away to, say...go to work, go pick up your children, or even go to the bathroom, by the time you get back these 4 or 5 individuals have added more then three or four pages of Troll comments. At that point, there is no use in trying to respond to them, because that will bring on another 3 or 4 pages of additional Trolling comments.

Basically, what's going on is this: a moderate view or opinion can bring on an onslaught of vicious attacks that will quickly dominate the discussion.

There's simply not enough free time or hours in the day to counter things. It requires too much energy. Also, the same 4 or 5 individuals can overwhelm any reasonable argument.

There are many toxic individuals. Way too many. I suppose that the biggest reason for this is because a lot of people here are retired and have nothing better to do. I get that. I understand it. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with it up until people become so toxic in their comments that they have to criticize a spelling mistake, a person's physical feature, a person's occupation, a person's hobby, a person's place of residence, etc.

The Trolls have one thing on their side that many others do not: Time. They have the time to pursue every single thread and disagreement available. They have the ability to overwhelm and dominate every topic to such a degree that no one person could possibly keep up.

A long, lengthy and subtle diatribe. I don't know if this is Frank from Everything Cab, but here you join the ranks of Cdn_Gringo. Long-winded, condescending lectures targeted at the folks you simply don't agree with.

I've been reading this forum for 10 years. There's nothing wrong with a little spirited debate, humor or maybe even some sarcasm or expression of disappointment, frustration or anger. No room for insults or bullying, but as long as members keep in line with the rules, then it's just all good information and entertainment.

Go see a ballgame or something.

C

chico bill

There is a similar thread in the open forum dealing with the status quo of dr1 ...........

https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/175489-General-Stuff-Everything-w-o-a-Home

just my two pesos but why not have the talks there so everone (including lurkers) can read..

On a side note the changes in the past few months give hope and were long overdue.
yes William Webster started a similar thread this AM before Frank's.

Maybe combine them and as far as trolls go Frank you use that word in almost every one of your posts.
It becomes worn out.

I might add Frank - your posts are the longest winded on the forum. I never can read through all of them .

C

carlos

Frank,

I sent you a PM regarding your trolling concern. You either missed it or ignored it.

do you consider yourself part of the usual 4 or 5 guys you mentioned? I ask because you open new threads which are controversial in nature and people will have their opinions.

As for those that don't post any longer, that's on them. No one is putting a gun to their head to stay away. They don't post but are lurking so I encourage them to come back. If they don't that's ok too.

As for you, I would advise you to come up with good counter opinions when someone posts something you don't agree with. You'll get more respect than just screaming trolls.

I think you sometimes intentionally post to be provocative and some people fall for it. I don't know if it's shame on you or shame on them.

B

bob saunders

Why are all Trolls men?

Back to the Trolls.

Such a good example of a passive aggressive troll and flamer combined in the same post.

C

carlos

I hope this doesn’t get closed bc you are 100% correct, 10 people have ruined this site for people who actually want or need help. It’s quite sad. Luckily I don’t have time to read it all anymore!

if you don't have time to read it then you have nothing to worry about.

The good news is that you can switch the channel when you see a thread or forum you don't like.

C

carlos

Such a good example of a passive aggressive troll and flamer combined in the same post.

and Bob, your response is a perfect example of what I wrote to Frank. He should not be surprised to receive a reply like yours when he posts what he did.

Does not make what he wrote right or wrong, but he needs to understand this.

and I allow it until it gets out of hand from both sides....

F

Fulano2

yes William Webster started a similar thread this AM before Frank's.

Maybe combine them and as far as trolls go Frank you use that word in almost every one of your posts.
It becomes worn out.

I might add Frank - your posts are the longest winded on the forum. I never can read through all of them .
Frank definitly uses a dictaphone when posting, otherwise...

B

bigbird

maybe the "new dr1" will allow members to make suggestions? sort of like a suggestion box. i know under the old rule any thoughts on change a member was told dr1 is not a democracy and if you don't like it your membership money will be refunded.

Status
Not open for further replies.