Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 319
  1. #101
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by franco1111 View Post
    "The first is the low average IQ, which is in the 80 range..." Can you post the source of this "fact." I have a number of Dominican people that do work for me and none of them seem to have a low IQ. They may have other difficulties but I don't believe low IQ is one of them.

    Once we know the source of the information, then you may want to consider the following:

    "Kids who score higher on IQ tests will, on average, go on to do better in conventional measures of success in life: academic achievement, economic success, even greater health, and longevity. Is that because they are more intelligent? Not necessarily. New research concludes that IQ scores are partly a measure of how motivated a child is to do well on the test. And harnessing that motivation might be as important to later success as so-called native intelligence.

    "Researchers have long debated what IQ tests actually measure, and whether average differences in IQ scores--such as those between different ethnic groups--reflect differences in intelligence, social and economic factors, or both. The debate moved heavily into the public arena with the 1994 publication of The Bell Curve by Richard Herrnstein and Charles Murray, which suggested that the lower average IQ scores of some ethnic groups, such as African-Americans and Hispanics, were due in large part to genetic differences between them and Caucasian groups. That view has been challenged by many scientists. For example, in his 2009 book "Intelligence and How to Get It," Richard Nisbett, a psychologist at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, argued that differences in IQ scores largely disappear when researchers control for social and economic factors."

    This is not intended to be an argument, by the way. Just curious. Your point of view on this and other matters, is usually quite unique. Buena suerte.
    the ability of the average Dominican youngster to figure out the most complicated intricacies of a smartphone leads me to the conclusion that they are no dumber than anyone else. certainly no dumber than the folks in the USA who get asked questions by people like Jay Leno.

  2. Likes bienamor, drstock liked this post
  3. #102
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The number of Chinese tourists coming to the DR will never, ever, ever come even remotely close to the number of Americans coming here.

  4. Likes jinty05 liked this post
  5. #103
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    The number of Chinese tourists coming to the DR will never, ever, ever come even remotely close to the number of Americans coming here.
    who said it would?

  6. #104
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    974
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by franco1111 View Post
    "The first is the low average IQ, which is in the 80 range..." Can you post the source of this "fact." I have a number of Dominican people that do work for me and none of them seem to have a low IQ. They may have other difficulties but I don't believe low IQ is one of them.

    Once we know the source of the information, then you may want to consider the following:

    "Kids who score higher on IQ tests will, on average, go on to do better in conventional measures of success in life: academic achievement, economic success, even greater health, and longevity. Is that because they are more intelligent? Not necessarily. New research concludes that IQ scores are partly a measure of how motivated a child is to do well on the test. And harnessing that motivation might be as important to later success as so-called native intelligence.

    "Researchers have long debated what IQ tests actually measure, and whether average differences in IQ scores--such as those between different ethnic groups--reflect differences in intelligence, social and economic factors, or both. The debate moved heavily into the public arena with the 1994 publication of The Bell Curve by Richard Herrnstein and Charles Murray, which suggested that the lower average IQ scores of some ethnic groups, such as African-Americans and Hispanics, were due in large part to genetic differences between them and Caucasian groups. That view has been challenged by many scientists. For example, in his 2009 book "Intelligence and How to Get It," Richard Nisbett, a psychologist at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, argued that differences in IQ scores largely disappear when researchers control for social and economic factors."

    This is not intended to be an argument, by the way. Just curious. Your point of view on this and other matters, is usually quite unique. Buena suerte.
    Here is the link:

    https://new-iq-test.com/dominican-re...verage-iq.html

    I don't mean to imply that Dominicans are stupid, I estimate that out of a population of ten million there are probably 250,000 Dominicans that would be classified as geniuses with IQs above 150. My own IQ is 119 (above average) and even in my family (and my relatives aren't that bright, everyone knew from an early age that I was smarter than average.

    So there are Dominicans much smarter than me. Here is the problem Franco, in the DR it doesn't matter, because the Dominican government and ruling families are too corrupt to harness the power of their brightest citizens. My conclusion after living in the DR for 7 years is that the government here does everything it can to keep Dominicans poor, I will give some examples.

    The first are the power outages. There is NO REASON why the DR should continue to have power outages on a daily basis. They spend hundreds of millions to build these resorts and high rises, so if they wanted they could upgrade the power grid and stop the power outages for good. But they simply don't want to. The second is Western Union quotas.

    I found out from someone that has lived here for years that Dominicans have quotas for how much they can get through Western Union. I'm not talking about transfer limits, the quotas are different, there is a limit to the total amount Dominicans can receive through Western Union, which makes no sense. But the reason I think is because the DR government knows many Dominicans depend on Western Union for remittances since they lack bank accounts and placing caps on how much Dominicans get through Western Union allows them to limit their income.

    Third are the attempts by DR Customs to Limit how much Dominicans can buy online. Again, this makes no sense, since Customs always make money from every product shipped in, so why do they care how much Dominicans order online? Again the real reason is because Customs doesn't want Dominicans buying and reselling at a profit.

    You see Franco, the name of the game is to keep Dominicans in poverty. The reason is because the government and oligarchy cannot afford for the DR to get a middle class, because sociology and economics shows that a Middle Class is the foundation of a free society since they keep both the government and ruling classes in check. The powers that be in the DR want rich and poor, that's it. And the history I've read on the Dominican Republic suggests a long struggle between the tiny elite at the top and the impoverished on the bottom, it is a tug of war that has been ongoing for centuries and in some cases led to outright civil war.

    Unfortunately the chickens have come home to roost. Now that the Dominican government has prioritized tourism instead of manufacturing or other sectors Dominicans are at the mercy of the whims of foreigners, who can easily take vacations to other countries the moment bad new emerges here, such as the deaths of these tourists at the resort. What I'm trying to say is that the ruling class and government in the DR is shortsighted, and this is why they will probably lose hundreds of millions just this summer in tourism revenue.

  7. #105
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    812
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    the ability of the average Dominican youngster to figure out the most complicated intricacies of a smartphone leads me to the conclusion that they are no dumber than anyone else. certainly no dumber than the folks in the USA who get asked questions by people like Jay Leno.
    With acknowledgement that generalizations are often specious, I have to say that I think Dominicans in general can give the Chinese a run for their money in terms of obstinant resistance to foreign ideas at all levels.

  8. #106
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    the ability of the average Dominican youngster to figure out the most complicated intricacies of a smartphone leads me to the conclusion that they are no dumber than anyone else. certainly no dumber than the folks in the USA who get asked questions by people like Jay Leno.

  9. Likes bob saunders liked this post
  10. #107
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    812
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Scorpion View Post
    Here is the link:

    https://new-iq-test.com/dominican-re...verage-iq.html

    I don't mean to imply that Dominicans are stupid, I estimate that out of a population of ten million there are probably 250,000 Dominicans that would be classified as geniuses with IQs above 150. My own IQ is 119 (above average) and even in my family (and my relatives aren't that bright, everyone knew from an early age that I was smarter than average.

    So there are Dominicans much smarter than me. Here is the problem Franco, in the DR it doesn't matter, because the Dominican government and ruling families are too corrupt to harness the power of their brightest citizens. My conclusion after living in the DR for 7 years is that the government here does everything it can to keep Dominicans poor, I will give some examples.

    The first are the power outages. There is NO REASON why the DR should continue to have power outages on a daily basis. They spend hundreds of millions to build these resorts and high rises, so if they wanted they could upgrade the power grid and stop the power outages for good. But they simply don't want to. The second is Western Union quotas.

    I found out from someone that has lived here for years that Dominicans have quotas for how much they can get through Western Union. I'm not talking about transfer limits, the quotas are different, there is a limit to the total amount Dominicans can receive through Western Union, which makes no sense. But the reason I think is because the DR government knows many Dominicans depend on Western Union for remittances since they lack bank accounts and placing caps on how much Dominicans get through Western Union allows them to limit their income.

    Third are the attempts by DR Customs to Limit how much Dominicans can buy online. Again, this makes no sense, since Customs always make money from every product shipped in, so why do they care how much Dominicans order online? Again the real reason is because Customs doesn't want Dominicans buying and reselling at a profit.

    You see Franco, the name of the game is to keep Dominicans in poverty. The reason is because the government and oligarchy cannot afford for the DR to get a middle class, because sociology and economics shows that a Middle Class is the foundation of a free society since they keep both the government and ruling classes in check. The powers that be in the DR want rich and poor, that's it. And the history I've read on the Dominican Republic suggests a long struggle between the tiny elite at the top and the impoverished on the bottom, it is a tug of war that has been ongoing for centuries and in some cases led to outright civil war.

    Unfortunately the chickens have come home to roost. Now that the Dominican government has prioritized tourism instead of manufacturing or other sectors Dominicans are at the mercy of the whims of foreigners, who can easily take vacations to other countries the moment bad new emerges here, such as the deaths of these tourists at the resort. What I'm trying to say is that the ruling class and government in the DR is shortsighted, and this is why they will probably lose hundreds of millions just this summer in tourism revenue.
    Right. That's what I was getting at. Domincans are not stupid. From first hand experience I agree with your following statement and your examples. The explanation for all this is complex. And, I don't know anyone who can give a right answer. I don't believe there is one. I admire your affinity for complex topics.

    "Here is the problem Franco, in the DR it doesn't matter, because the Dominican government and ruling families are too corrupt to harness the power of their brightest citizens. My conclusion after living in the DR for 7 years is that the government here does everything it can to keep Dominicans poor, I will give some examples."

  11. #108
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    812
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Speaking of specious, what is this? Certainly not an easily recognized credible source.

    Here is the link:

    https://new-iq-test.com/dominican-re...verage-iq.html

    I don't find it credible in terms of accuracy. I could be wrong.

  12. #109
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Scorpion View Post
    Here is the link:

    https://new-iq-test.com/dominican-re...verage-iq.html

    I don't mean to imply that Dominicans are stupid, I estimate that out of a population of ten million there are probably 250,000 Dominicans that would be classified as geniuses with IQs above 150. My own IQ is 119 (above average) and even in my family (and my relatives aren't that bright, everyone knew from an early age that I was smarter than average.

    So there are Dominicans much smarter than me. Here is the problem Franco, in the DR it doesn't matter, because the Dominican government and ruling families are too corrupt to harness the power of their brightest citizens. My conclusion af
    A lengthy, dull post folks that have lived here 20 years have seen time and again - yawn. The truth is, you make a over-winded dissertation tin foil hat dive into what is very, very simple. Third world countries do their best to keep the money and power at the top. You can't have the minions making waves at the bottom. The power grid is a privatized mafia, no mystery there and there very strict anti-money laws. Not only affecting DR, but to most Latin-american countries in attempts to keep the drug cash out of the banks and off the street, because this devalues the currency and weakens the economy.

    No tin foil hat conspiracies or mysteries in any of this stuff. It's just physics.

  13. Likes Africaida, bienamor, JDJones liked this post
  14. #110
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    974
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by franco1111 View Post
    Right. That's what I was getting at. Domincans are not stupid. From first hand experience I agree with your following statement and your examples. The explanation for all this is complex. And, I don't know anyone who can give a right answer. I don't believe there is one. I admire your affinity for complex topics.

    "Here is the problem Franco, in the DR it doesn't matter, because the Dominican government and ruling families are too corrupt to harness the power of their brightest citizens. My conclusion after living in the DR for 7 years is that the government here does everything it can to keep Dominicans poor, I will give some examples."
    My Dominican dentist is highly intelligent, and it is evident from the moment you meet her. When I go into her office she has a certificate on the wall showing she graduated from dental school in New York, she speaks English and everything. Her IQ has to be above average, doing any type of medical or dental works requires considerable intelligence.

    See, this Dominican lady did everything right. She got her training in NYC, but then returned to the DR to setup her own office. She is doing on a small scale what the Japanese did in the 19th century on a large scale. Japan, which is an island nation like the DR devoid of natural resources, begin sending their youth to colleges in Europe in the 19th century to learn Western engineering and naval technology and tactics and by 1905 the Japanese navy was so powerful they obliterated the Russian navy at the Battle of Tsushima.

    This situation with the tourist deaths at the resorts is the Dominican elite reaping what it sowed. Most Dominicans won't be affected by the fallout and loss of revenue from tourist deaths, since they are already poor. The wealthy families that own the resorts are the ones who are going to suffer.

    The Dominican government has also been warned about a looming water crisis in the DR AND the Dominican Republic has prioritized tourism over agricultural, meaning, much of their food is coming from foreign imports and if something happens to disrupt that flow of food and fuel, such as war or economic collapse in the USA or elsewhere, the Dominican government may not be able to feed the ten million people that live here, meaning possible famine on a national scale.

    This is very serious. Dominicans cannot depend on their government, and thanks to the Internet they don't have to. Dominicans who are unable to leave the island yet determined to better their lives can teach themselves English using the internet (just as I'm using it to learn Spanish) and they can use the Net to teach themselves other profitable skills they can they can apply locally to start their own businesses for profit.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •