Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysrock View Post
    It makes me sick, the DR does not give one sh*t about it’s tourists. I hope this bites them in the ass hard!
    And not only about tourists. Look how you are treated when trying to get residency, you have to get Photos they only take in Europe from criminals and treat you as a walking ATM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Nobody likes it when their baby is called ugly.

that about sums it up

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its going to take a lot more than this ...I bet Boca Chica will be a lot quieter than it was in March

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to find a destination where the people genuinely like the tourists. Some destinations the niceness of the people is closer to reality than in other places, but nowhere is it like in the tourists zones. In many cities of Europe, like Barcelona, many of the natives want to get rid of the tourists and they are very vocal about it. In Orlando the people that live there are annoyed by the tourists and blamed them for the stuff people often do behind a wheel. In NYC anyone that is caught looking up is categorized as a tourist, whether the person is or isn’t one, and are treated like a tourist (which usually means overcharging.) Basically, many people that live in tourists areas don’t genuinely like the tourists. I find it ironic because usually most people that live in tourists areas were once a tourists too in that same area and moved from somewhere else to the tourists areas.

Its outside the tourists areas where the real nature of the locals is seen. In some places they are about as nice as in tourists zones and in other places not so much. Generally in the DR people tend to be nice outside of tourists zones. The same can’t be said of other islands in the Caribbean.
    Last edited by NALs; 06-16-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Polls Forum Moderator

5. Likes cobraboy, Caonabo, bienamor liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

A PR campaign usually has at least two prongs. The first is the soft sell intended for the locals - to show that their govt is responding to a perceived problem and as a message to reinforce the second prong. Intended for the Int'l market, the hard sell, to counter the negative publicity and stress that the DR remains an appealing destination for their vacation.

For now the 2nd prong is sort of on hold. Not much a PR firm will want to say until the medical findings are in and a definitive cause for the recent deaths is announced. They would not wish to be caught with their pants down if the evidence contradicts even more public assertions.

Once the investigation is over, phase 2 will kick into full swing with the message:

1) The issues have been identified and corrected, bring your family and come see for yourself.

or

2) See, just as we said, everything is great here, see you soon.

7. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right NALs, in Amsterdam they are tired of tourists, and in Bruges, Belgium people are asking for a ley to avoid getting in so many tourists.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    And not only about tourists. Look how you are treated when trying to get residency, you have to get Photos they only take in Europe from criminals and treat you as a walking ATM.
    And europeans don't treat tourists as walk ATMs? I have been to every country in South America except Bolivia and Uruguay and the country worst for treating tourists was Argentina ( Buenos Aires) , however in Bariloche the locals treat tourists very well. When you do your residency you get the same treatment from the Dominican government as Dominicans get, so it is nothing to do with being from another country. This current PR campaign is just more of the same no es mi culpa. I believe behind the scenes they are doing a diligent hunt for the truth, however it is yet to be seen if they will reveal the truth or what. All I know is we are going taking approx 70 people to a north coast resort next sunday for 3 days and we are worried about it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    I believe behind the scenes they are doing a diligent hunt for the truth,
    I can assure you, based on some conversations, you are 100% correct.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    You're right NALs, in Amsterdam they are tired of tourists, and in Bruges, Belgium people are asking for a ley to avoid getting in so many tourists.
    Same for Venice. But Urban Euro tourism is different than resort tourism. There is not 250K tourists clogging the streets of Santo Domingo, where the infrastructure if for the people that live, work and commute.

12. Likes Caonabo, NanSanPedro liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it's easier here for a Dominican, when qualifying of course, to get the paperwork done than Vice versa. And I was not talking about tourists seen as a walking ATM, please read again, thank you.

@Bob

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast