The PR Campaign Has Started

C

cobraboy

EcDmmc.jpg

E

El Rey de Mangu

yes, they have brought in consultants to pull them out of the downward MSM spiral. Probably spending millions and politicians taking cuts on the contracts. I also didn't think they needed to spend money on consultants to do what they do best, and blindly deny any possible wrongdoing.

C

chico bill

Start with giving package specials on AI stays, and make sure whatever killed those people is not covered up.
If it is later found out there was an environmental factor as the cause of the deaths and sicknesses that was hidden by the investigators or resorts, the PR campaign won't help

N

NanSanPedro

Politicians spending money. It's what they're good at. What a waste of time and money!

H

Harleysrock

It makes me sick, the DR does not give one sh*t about it’s tourists. I hope this bites them in the ass hard!

A

Africaida

The campaign should be aimed at foreigners/tourists, particularly American and Canadian...

That PR team needs to be fired ASAP.

E

El Rey de Mangu

It makes me sick, the DR does not give one sh*t about it’s tourists. I hope this bites them in the ass hard!

I guess spiritually they [Dominicans] don't care. Money-wise they [tourists] are bled for every last nickel

C

chico bill

I guess spiritually they [Dominicans] don't care. Money-wise they [tourists] are bled for every last nickel

Well it is hard to form a relation with someone here for a week. And some tourists from Europe and North America are haughty, plus most don't speak Spanish.

I find Dominicans personally likable (except for the tigures, and you see nothing but hatred in their eyes, and there are a lot of them).

Whether Dominicans are friendly because they are looking for a tip or being sincerely warm natured I can't always tell but I seldom experience the outright disdain. Last time I felt that was from the manager of a well known auto tire & mechanic shop in POP, and I think he was drunk at the time.

Of course the drivers do exhibit an offensive & aggressive rude behavior, but since my windows are super-tinted, it is unlikely they are showing less respect for me because I am a foreigner than just that they are rude to every other driver on the road.

C

cobraboy

Why is anyone surprised with this PR campaign aimed at it's citizens? This is not aimed at foreigners.

Nobody likes it when their baby is called ugly.

I interpret this campaign as "prove them wrong, step up your game."

But opinions vary...

F

Fulano2

And not only about tourists. Look how you are treated when trying to get residency, you have to get Photos they only take in Europe from criminals and treat you as a walking ATM.

I

irishpaddy

I think its going to take a lot more than this ...I bet Boca Chica will be a lot quieter than it was in March

N

NALs

I have yet to find a destination where the people genuinely like the tourists. Some destinations the niceness of the people is closer to reality than in other places, but nowhere is it like in the tourists zones. In many cities of Europe, like Barcelona, many of the natives want to get rid of the tourists and they are very vocal about it. In Orlando the people that live there are annoyed by the tourists and blamed them for the stuff people often do behind a wheel. In NYC anyone that is caught looking up is categorized as a tourist, whether the person is or isn’t one, and are treated like a tourist (which usually means overcharging.) Basically, many people that live in tourists areas don’t genuinely like the tourists. I find it ironic because usually most people that live in tourists areas were once a tourists too in that same area and moved from somewhere else to the tourists areas.

Its outside the tourists areas where the real nature of the locals is seen. In some places they are about as nice as in tourists zones and in other places not so much. Generally in the DR people tend to be nice outside of tourists zones. The same can’t be said of other islands in the Caribbean.

Last edited:
C

Cdn_Gringo

A PR campaign usually has at least two prongs. The first is the soft sell intended for the locals - to show that their govt is responding to a perceived problem and as a message to reinforce the second prong. Intended for the Int'l market, the hard sell, to counter the negative publicity and stress that the DR remains an appealing destination for their vacation.

For now the 2nd prong is sort of on hold. Not much a PR firm will want to say until the medical findings are in and a definitive cause for the recent deaths is announced. They would not wish to be caught with their pants down if the evidence contradicts even more public assertions.

Once the investigation is over, phase 2 will kick into full swing with the message:

1) The issues have been identified and corrected, bring your family and come see for yourself.

or

2) See, just as we said, everything is great here, see you soon.

F

Fulano2

You're right NALs, in Amsterdam they are tired of tourists, and in Bruges, Belgium people are asking for a ley to avoid getting in so many tourists.

B

bob saunders

And not only about tourists. Look how you are treated when trying to get residency, you have to get Photos they only take in Europe from criminals and treat you as a walking ATM.

And europeans don't treat tourists as walk ATMs? I have been to every country in South America except Bolivia and Uruguay and the country worst for treating tourists was Argentina ( Buenos Aires) , however in Bariloche the locals treat tourists very well. When you do your residency you get the same treatment from the Dominican government as Dominicans get, so it is nothing to do with being from another country. This current PR campaign is just more of the same no es mi culpa. I believe behind the scenes they are doing a diligent hunt for the truth, however it is yet to be seen if they will reveal the truth or what. All I know is we are going taking approx 70 people to a north coast resort next sunday for 3 days and we are worried about it.

K

KyleMackey

You're right NALs, in Amsterdam they are tired of tourists, and in Bruges, Belgium people are asking for a ley to avoid getting in so many tourists.

Same for Venice. But Urban Euro tourism is different than resort tourism. There is not 250K tourists clogging the streets of Santo Domingo, where the infrastructure if for the people that live, work and commute.

F

Fulano2

Well it's easier here for a Dominican, when qualifying of course, to get the paperwork done than Vice versa. And I was not talking about tourists seen as a walking ATM, please read again, thank you.

@Bob