Details for transfering Canadian to Dr drivers license.

S

silverjane

Just completed Temp Resident visa and now have cedula. What is process to obtain DR driver license using Canadian license. I live in Puerto Plata.

C

chico bill

Get a letter of Good Conduct, pay the Banreservas bank the DL fees, then go take the DR Exams (Written and Driving) and hang onto your Canadian License and drive on that until you pass..not too hard

A

amordecanada

Get a letter of Good Conduct, pay the Banreservas bank the DL fees, then go take the DR Exams (Written and Driving) and hang onto your Canadian License and drive on that until you pass..not too hard

I think you are wanting the easy way out (although the written exam which is 20 questions and the practical exam is a 5 min drive around the baseball diamond) i have been told you can go to Santo Domingo to Canadian embassy and get the approval letter that allows you to get the dominican license.
Contact the embassy in SD

B

bob saunders

You go to the Canadian Embassy and get the letter that says your licence is valid ( you pay for this) , then you have to have this letter translated if it's not in Spanish, get it legalised ( pay a fee and taxes) then once you have these go to the licencing ministry with your tax receipt and paperwork. They will give you an eye-exam, blood test if your blood type is not listed on your residency or cedula, take your picture and 30 minutes later you walk out with a Dominican drivers licence good for 4 years.

W

william webster

I had my Cdn birth certificate legalized there.... maybe they send it to SDQ
But it saves a trip

W

william webster

BTW
I did all that by guagua from Cabrera

The driver took it ..
Delivered it... went back to pay and retrieve it...

I never left Cabrera

W

william webster

from the twin thread

Today, 07:55 AM #53
Regular
Post Thanks / Like
We just got ours. We went to the Canadian consulate in Puerto Plata and had our QC driver licenses certified. It took a couple of hours, but it depends on the consul availability. With certifications in our hand we went to Santo Domingo, paid the fee at Banreserva and then at INTRANT office got a small blood test to determine the blood type and that was it. They gave us the Dominican Republic licenses on the spot. No other medicals or anything else was necessary. At 11AM we were on our way back home.
Good luck.

B

BruceWayne

You go to the Canadian Embassy and get the letter that says your licence is valid ( you pay for this) , then you have to have this letter translated if it's not in Spanish, get it legalised ( pay a fee and taxes) then once you have these go to the licencing ministry with your tax receipt and paperwork. They will give you an eye-exam, blood test if your blood type is not listed on your residency or cedula, take your picture and 30 minutes later you walk out with a Dominican drivers licence good for 4 years.

Hi Bob,

Is this valid when you are on a Temp work Visa as well?
Thanks

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
some have cedulas, some use their home country license which is good for 30 days or 3 months depending on who you talk to and others just drive around without a legal license at all....take your pick..its all about your comfort level and risk