Puerto Plata Post office

N

Neargale

I am moving permanently to the DR from Canada.
I need an address in the DR.
If I give my house address what is the chance that the mail will get delivered to me?
I thought about setting up a post office box at the Post Office in Puerto Plata but I am told that they no longer offer post office boxes as they were often broken into and their contents stolen. But they promise to deliver to my house should I get any mail.

I think some of you use something like the EPS address in Miami but I would prefer a Dominican address if possible.

What do you guys do?

M

mountainannie

I am moving permanently to the DR from Canada.
I need an address in the DR.
If I give my house address what is the chance that the mail will get delivered to me?
I thought about setting up a post office box at the Post Office in Puerto Plata but I am told that they no longer offer post office boxes as they were often broken into and their contents stolen. But they promise to deliver to my house should I get any mail.

I think some of you use something like the EPS address in Miami but I would prefer a Dominican address if possible.

What do you guys do?

I can not speak to Puerto Plata - I lived in both Las Terrenas - also on the North - and in Santo Domingo.

I got a PO box when I moved to Las Terrenas. I had put my mail into a forwarding service in FL which was going to go through it and sort out all the junk mail and then forward on only the First Class Stuff...It was working OK.. And I was just Thrilled To Have PO Box 9, Las Terrenas. I adored the clerks.

One day, I got a notice that I had a package that had had to clear through customs.It was an unexpected Christmas gift from my sister.It arrived about mid- Feb. So I made a plan to get on over to Samana town to get it. I did not have a car so this involved some serious Gun-Gua Travel.

The clerks at the Post Office looked at me and pointed to this HUGE CANVAS SACK behind them. I am talking Santa Claus size of a Sack. They said "If you are going to Samana, would you mind taking this mail that we have been collecting?"

Ok - that was 2004.

But if you actually want to get anything there is Vimenpaq

But those who are now residents might have better NEWER news.

M

mountainannie

I can not speak to Puerto Plata - I lived in both Las Terrenas - also on the North - and in Santo Domingo.

I got a PO box when I moved to Las Terrenas. I had put my mail into a forwarding service in FL which was going to go through it and sort out all the junk mail and then forward on only the First Class Stuff...It was working OK.. And I was just Thrilled To Have PO Box 9, Las Terrenas. I adored the clerks.

One day, I got a notice that I had a package that had had to clear through customs.It was an unexpected Christmas gift from my sister.It arrived about mid- Feb. So I made a plan to get on over to Samana town to get it. I did not have a car so this involved some serious Gun-Gua Travel.

The clerks at the Post Office looked at me and pointed to this HUGE CANVAS SACK behind them. I am talking Santa Claus size of a Sack. They said "If you are going to Samana, would you mind taking this mail that we have been collecting?"

Ok - that was 2004.

But if you actually want to get anything there is Vimenpaq

But those who are now residents might have better NEWER news.

In all fairness - LT was the Edge of the Earth then - before the Samana highway. It took 5 hours by car.

and Puerto Plata was always more civilized - as reported on this Board.

I just took the opportunity to tell the story.

My American friend and I were Doubled Over over the request since it is a Federal Offense here to tamper with the US mail.

Note that there are complicated customs requirements/taxes for packages and Vimenpaq - the service that I used in the Capital - is well versed in how to order things/send things etc.

D

Derfish

I tried and tried to get mail direct. The post Office says so, but the letters never arrive. What most of us expats do I believe is get a courier service with a USA address that sends the mail to you. One has to go pick it up, but that is basically the same as a PO box. But it ain't cheap! I had my nephew send me my motorcycle helmet. $14.10 US postage, that got it to Miami. Then when I picked it up hewre in Puerto Plata I paid out another 1300 pesos ($26.00) and then it got stolen a week later, but that is not the fault of the Post Office, or the courier service! I can recommend dsifferent courier services if you like.
Derfish

N

NanSanPedro

I tried and tried to get mail direct. The post Office says so, but the letters never arrive. What most of us expats do I believe is get a courier service with a USA address that sends the mail to you. One has to go pick it up, but that is basically the same as a PO box. But it ain't cheap! I had my nephew send me my motorcycle helmet. $14.10 US postage, that got it to Miami. Then when I picked it up hewre in Puerto Plata I paid out another 1300 pesos ($26.00) and then it got stolen a week later, but that is not the fault of the Post Office, or the courier service! I can recommend dsifferent courier services if you like.
Derfish

What's your opinion of EPS?

W

william webster

I get mine in Cabrera....

Go to the Post Office & introduce yourself
tell them where you live

it will work from there

or pass by once a week to pick up the mail

D

drstock

A guy I knew lived out in the campo. One day he was amazed to see a post office van arrive outside his house. He hoped it was a long awaited package being delivered. But when he spoke to the driver he was told: "There's a package for you at the post office"!

G

Gadfly

last year i mailed a letter from usa to a barrio on east coast RD to 'familia lopez, etc, tercer calle, parte detras, (city name, barrio name), etc., just this long address, all in spanish, and it arrived in the RD, was stamped by the RD, but returned 'undeliverable' to me back in usa a month later because i forgot to write the casa #... so I did it again, added the casa #, and it ARRIVED at the house in the barrio a month later. a barrio w/dirt streets and no street signs, and NO house #'s on the houses

W

william webster

The postal system works -- usually---like all things Dominican

They found my friend's house.. and he swore he was invisible....WRONG !!!

Not straightforward.... but workable...

Love it or leave it !!