Guayacanes?

M

mountainannie

Has anyone been out to Guayacanes recently? It is SUCH a gorgeous beach. Outside of Las Terrenas my pick for the most beautiful beach in the DR.

There is a reasonably big hotel there, right on the beach, which was closed for many years. Talk was that it had been owned by a Canadian who was deported/arrested for drugs. I did stay over at one little local place and I think that there are a couple of small European places.

When I think about returning for a visit, I always think it would be so very much nicer to stay in Guayacanes to see my friends in the Capital than to stay in the City.

Any info appreciated.

thnx

R

Riva_31

Has anyone been out to Guayacanes recently? It is SUCH a gorgeous beach. Outside of Las Terrenas my pick for the most beautiful beach in the DR.

There is a reasonably big hotel there, right on the beach, which was closed for many years. Talk was that it had been owned by a Canadian who was deported/arrested for drugs. I did stay over at one little local place and I think that there are a couple of small European places.

When I think about returning for a visit, I always think it would be so very much nicer to stay in Guayacanes to see my friends in the Capital than to stay in the City.

Any info appreciated.

thnx

Hello, can you tell us what mean reasonably price for you? Actually next to Guayacanaes beach there is a Hotel Playa Esmeralda and yes, its open.

M

mountainannie

Hello, can you tell us what mean reasonably price for you? Actually next to Guayacanaes beach there is a Hotel Playa Esmeralda and yes, its open.

Not so much a question of price -

But really a question of location

I Suppose there are different names for the several beaches in Guayacanes?

If that is the - well - about a 3 story concrete hotel?

Do you know anything more about it? Ownership? Service?

and - yes -Room prices?

M

mountainannie

It is at the Juan Dolio end of Guayacanes - when I was last there in 2010 was being run by an Italian. https://playaesmeraldabeachresort.com-dominicana.com/en/

There are also a couple of airbnb properties in Guayacanes as well.

Matilda

Oh - yes - I was there once -

spent only a nite

They put me in a room near the pool - probably thought they were doing me a favor

I could not rest

They offered me another room but I just called a cab and went back to the Capital

That is not at all the Hotel about which I am enquiring..

It is going to perhaps take a scout to go out and find out

Does any one living in the Capital here on this Board who ever go out there?

D

dulce

There used to be a small hotel right on the beach in Guayacanes called Sol y Mar. It was next to Coral Costa Caribe. Not fancy at all. I stayed there a few times because a friend of mine had an apartment across the street from it. I do not spend much time in a room so I don't care how rustic or how fancy it is. The beach in Guayacanes was my favorite in the area. I often wonder if the little hotel is still there.

M

mountainannie

yes - absolutely.. I adore the Flor de Loto - stayed there more than once - great Indian decor - easy walk to the beach - incredibly cheap rooms..

MODS - GUAYACANES is to the EAST of Santo Domingo - between Boca Chico and Juan Dolio

It is the "hidden gem' of Capitalenos

Costs about 1500 pesos to get there by taxi

It is NOT on the South West Coast

please move my Guayacanes part back to the Santo Domino Forum

A

AlterEgo

MODS - GUAYACANES is to the EAST of Santo Domingo - between Boca Chico and Juan Dolio

It is the "hidden gem' of Capitalenos

Costs about 1500 pesos to get there by taxi

It is NOT on the South West Coast

please move my Guayacanes part back to the Santo Domino Forum

Annie, it’s in the South Coast forum, which is for Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, La Romana, Bayahibe, all east of Santo Domingo. Actually, our favorite beach in that area is Embassy Beach/Playa Caribe.

M

mountainannie

Annie, it’s in the South Coast forum, which is for Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, La Romana, Bayahibe, all east of Santo Domingo. Actually, our favorite beach in that area is Embassy Beach/Playa Caribe.

ok - I was afraid it had gone Down to the SW with Los Patos!

silly me -- I know you know Where Things Are in the DR!

my bad

But I do so want to promote the Capital - and let folks know how easy it is to Get To The Beaches from there.

Often folks will just stop at Boca China -- and - well - that is One Thing - but Guayacanes is as good as anything in LT.

Do not know the beach to which you refer?

B

bigbird

But I do so want to promote the Capital - and let folks know how easy it is to Get To The Beaches from there.

Often folks will just stop at Boca China -- and - well - that is One Thing - but Guayacanes is as good as anything in LT.......

Many, many moons ago dr1 had a poster, I believe Miguel, who did a nice report on Guayacanes with photos.

R

Riva_31

my bad

Often folks will just stop at Boca China -- and - well - that is One Thing - but Guayacanes is as good as anything in LT.

The beach in Marbella area in Juan Dolio people going there is less noisy than the rest, Usually I go near by and try to get a massage with Big Mama.

Very close to the trafic light in Juan Dolio and close to the beach there is another hotel is cheap, I do not remember the name, its not so far from From di loto.

And about Playa Esmeralda resort I saw the other day a report in a tv show, not sure if they are all inclusive, but I think pricees in low season should be arround 70.00 US$.

A

AlterEgo

my bad

Playa Caribe is after Boca Chica, before Juan Dolio. It’s small, a large cove really, with lots of waves, probably the most on south coast. Only place you can body surf. The locals call it Embassy Beach, because it’s where all the folks from the American Embassy used to go, back in the day (got that name 60s-70s I believe). And all the guys from the medical school were there.

Very small sign, blink and you miss the turn-off. No restaurant or beach sellers, it’s too remote. For awhile there was a restaurant opened (with a bathroom!) but it didn’t last. Last time I saw it, it was closed and roped off. I think people were too accustomed to packing food and bringing a cooler.

But the beach itself didn’t change, it’s a hidden-in-plain-sight jewel.

Anyone else been there?

C

Caonabo

As an avid golfer and property owner within Guavaberry G&CC and Metro CC, I can first handedly advise you that there is not much of anything to see or do in Guayacanes proper at this point in time. In a sense, it may be viewed as a second-rate Juan Dolio, which has had it's own ongoing tight wire act transpiring for the last twenty years. Guayacanes has always been a notch down from Juan Dolio, and consists of local barrios consisting of persons who work in the properties of that next town over. As Juan Dolio teeters, unfortunately so does Guayacanes.

The Los Delfines Water & Entertainment Park which opened to great political theatre and fan fare, as an economic booster to the local area, has been shuttered for the last two years, literally abandoned, due to an international drug and money laundering inquiry.

Restaurants are non-existent within this town, and night life options are restricted to local "drinks" which are overrun by local tigueres.

The beach is a wide open expanse, void of shade trees, amenities, and public facilities. The rip current is notoriously strong and dangerous, resulting in an average of a drowning monthly. Not recommended.

Regardless, this has not stopped unknown investors from purchasing parcels of land, and attempting to build new condominiums. These efforts are viewed as more of "an investment" as opposed to a true revitalization and local economic stimulus.

On a positive note, the local fire brigade recently received one of the new fire engines donated to the RD by China, replacing the Balaguer era engine previously serving the community. The head of the brigade is a dear personal friend who is very happy with the acquisition.

All in all, the town of Guayacanes has a very long road in front facing it, but as Juan Dolio goes, there shall go Guayacanes with it's respective gains arriving from the hoped for economic trickle down.

M

mountainannie

As an avid golfer and property owner within Guavaberry G&CC and Metro CC, I can first handedly advise you that there is not much of anything to see or do in Guayacanes proper at this point in time. In a sense, it may be viewed as a second-rate Juan Dolio, which has had it's own ongoing tight wire act transpiring for the last twenty years. Guayacanes has always been a notch down from Juan Dolio, and consists of local barrios consisting of persons who work in the properties of that next town over. As Juan Dolio teeters, unfortunately so does Guayacanes.

The Los Delfines Water & Entertainment Park which opened to great political theatre and fan fare, as an economic booster to the local area, has been shuttered for the last two years, literally abandoned, due to an international drug and money laundering inquiry.

Restaurants are non-existent within this town, and night life options are restricted to local "drinks" which are overrun by local tigueres.

The beach is a wide open expanse, void of shade trees, amenities, and public facilities. The rip current is notoriously strong and dangerous, resulting in an average of a drowning monthly. Not recommended.

Regardless, this has not stopped unknown investors from purchasing parcels of land, and attempting to build new condominiums. These efforts are viewed as more of "an investment" as opposed to a true revitalization and local economic stimulus.

On a positive note, the local fire brigade recently received one of the new fire engines donated to the RD by China, replacing the Balaguer era engine previously serving the community. The head of the brigade is a dear personal friend who is very happy with the acquisition.

All in all, the town of Guayacanes has a very long road in front facing it, but as Juan Dolio goes, there shall go Guayacanes with it's respective gains arriving from the hoped for economic trickle down.

Clearly you and I went to TOTALLY different towns/beaches on.in Guyacanes?

Maybe we just have the towns mixed up?

The Guyacanes that I know has at least Three Good Places to eat -

or did

There was an upscale Swiss run place on the right hand as you enter from the SD direction

And then on the beach - the second beach - which is Reef Protected and Does Not Have Any Rip Tide but is a warm and shallow tropical Caribbean pool with gorgeous small rippling water - there is a Fabulous Beach Restuarant with what I used to call "palapas" - or "chaconnes" - those palm frond umbrella tables?. They serve great fish and are Always full up on weekends.

They have lounge chairs in front of the restaurant so you can spend the day there - as most folks do.

Then - on the Third Beach of Guayacanes - there is another restaurant - which I went to only once with friends from the Capital - It is also on a beach - but that one was rocky and probably did have rip tides.. Did not much like either the food or the vibes.

On the First Beach of Guaycanes - as you come it - they usually have fish shacks set up on weekends.

I have been to the little town of Juan Dolio a couple of times... Stayed over.. But the beach there is more dangerous I found.

But - of course - different strokes for different folks.

I don't play golf but I understand that the DR is a world class destination for that sport.

M

mountainannie

Playa Caribe is after Boca Chica, before Juan Dolio. It’s small, a large cove really, with lots of waves, probably the most on south coast. Only place you can body surf. The locals call it Embassy Beach, because it’s where all the folks from the American Embassy used to go, back in the day (got that name 60s-70s I believe). And all the guys from the medical school were there.

Very small sign, blink and you miss the turn-off. No restaurant or beach sellers, it’s too remote. For awhile there was a restaurant opened (with a bathroom!) but it didn’t last. Last time I saw it, it was closed and roped off. I think people were too accustomed to packing food and bringing a cooler.

But the beach itself didn’t change, it’s a hidden-in-plain-sight jewel.

Anyone else been there?

I know it! I have stopped off there on my way to Guyacanes but the surf was WAY too rough for me...

Gorgeous though!

Had I not wanted to swim, it would have been a great place for a picnic.

M

Matilda

I would agree Mountainannie. I only lived in Juan Dolio for 10 years and left 9 years ago but much preferred Guayacanes and used to visit several times a week.

There was an upscale Swiss run place on the right hand as you enter from the SD direction That was called Deli Swiss, the owner passed away but as far as I know it has been taken over with the same standard of food and service. Best for a long lunch, and when I used to go was known for having the best wine cellar on the island.

And then on the beach - the second beach - which is Reef Protected and Does Not Have Any Rip Tide but is a warm and shallow tropical Caribbean pool with gorgeous small rippling water - there is a Fabulous Beach Restuarant with what I used to call "palapas" - or "chaconnes" - those palm frond umbrella tables?. They serve great fish and are Always full up on weekends. That is El Pescador, lovely place to spend the day and food always fabulous.

On the First Beach of Guaycanes - as you come it - they usually have fish shacks set up on weekends.
That is Playa Vicini and a great place to hang out with the locals and eat from the shacks.

I have been to the little town of Juan Dolio a couple of times... Stayed over.. But the beach there is more dangerous I found. Correct. The whole beach of Juan Dolio was badly eroded and when Metro started to build the condo blocks, having knocked down the hotels which made Juan Dolio a buzzing tourist town they imported sand from Isla Catalina, and build jettys out of rock out into the sea. That altered the currents and far more people drown off Juan Dolio beaches than Guayacanes beaches.

To me, Guayacanes always had the sort of Las Terrenas vibe, without the shops, tourists, french people or quad bikes. Some great food in lovely locations and friendly local people.

Matilda

D

drstock

I'm wondering if either of you, Mountainannie or Matilda, have been to Guayacanes or Juan Dolio recently? I would agree with Caonabo having visited both recently, Juan Dolio several times. Both have a decaying air about them to me, which is a shame with such potential.

D

dulce

There never really was much in Guayacanes. That is one reasons I liked going to the beach there.
I also used to live in Juan Dolio but it is nowhere near what it used to be like. I certainly wouldn't move back there. I'm thinking if I went for a visit I would only go to Giulia's Cafe. Nothing else there is the same.