Santo Domingo Malecon full of plastic and garbage

F

frank recktenwald

Google translation:
According to the research on the oceans carried out by the National Geographic, every year some eight million tons of plastic end up in the sea, which take centuries to disappear, and the beach at Fort San Gil joins every day this fateful statistic for lack of intervention.

The Malecón de Santo Domingo has recently been renovated by the City Council of the National District and also by the Ministry of Public Works and Communications, however, the local authorities and the central government have forgotten to rescue this space where hundreds of tourists, families and friends arrive to have a good time looking towards the sea, but find this unpleasant view of garbage.

Likewise, this accumulation of lilacs, bottles, organic waste and sometimes dead animals emanate in the area a pestilent stench and stagnant water.

In different areas of the country they have been placed in rivers and gorges biobardas, which are made with loop, mesh and plastic bottles to create a barrier for solid waste and thus prevent contamination from reaching the channels.

In other scenarios, the authorities have ensured the acquisition of a special mesh to retain these wastes, but so far no government agency has been interested in achieving a solution to this evil that affects all Dominicans.

Also an Internet campaign directed to the Dominican public alleges that "we are more animals" and "less human", stating that animals do not throw garbage when they go to beaches, forests and mountains, however, citizens do. Meanwhile, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), in a commercial analysis in fisheries indicates that "The plastic penetrates the aquatic environment through the current and disintegrates in plastic waste of greater or smaller size

These elements normally come from untreated wastewater, as a result of inadequate industrial control or also due to inappropriate human behavior and fishing gear abandoned or lost. "

Water impact

The study points out that because of the contamination of the oceans and coasts by plastics, around one million birds and more than 100 thousand aquatic mammals die because they confuse the plastic with food that later reaches humans in the most exuberant dishes in restaurants and the homes.

Present inside marine foods

Likewise, it emphasizes that microplastics have been found in twelve of the twenty-five most important species and genera that contribute to the world's marine fisheries and pose an emerging problem in terms of "food safety due to the toxicity of plastic and its components" (polymerized monomers, additives) present in the oceans that has not been evaluated by the international scientific committees of experts.
https://www.elcaribe.com.do/2019/06...TdX4ZayfTuCJf0wy8_ItvcTe7nMOJ1XdXjkDKyWdm2IgI

B

bienamor

They have had several cleanups on the Malecon of late and removed several tons of trash. In addition we now have cleanup boats on the 2 rivers in SD that are cleaning up the trash and plant life. Its loaded onto trucks and taken somewhere. but they do seem to be trying of late. believe this was all reported in DR! daily news at some point

R

Riva_31

They have had several cleanups on the Malecon of late and removed several tons of trash. In addition we now have cleanup boats on the 2 rivers in SD that are cleaning up the trash and plant life. Its loaded onto trucks and taken somewhere. but they do seem to be trying of late. believe this was all reported in DR! daily news at some point

Will get more and bigger cleanner boats.

M

mountainannie

Google translation:
According to the research on the oceans carried out by the National Geographic, every year some eight million tons of plastic end up in the sea, which take centuries to disappear, and the beach at Fort San Gil joins every day this fateful statistic for lack of intervention.

The Malecón de Santo Domingo has recently been renovated by the City Council of the National District and also by the Ministry of Public Works and Communications, however, the local authorities and the central government have forgotten to rescue this space where hundreds of tourists, families and friends arrive to have a good time looking towards the sea, but find this unpleasant view of garbage.

Likewise, this accumulation of lilacs, bottles, organic waste and sometimes dead animals emanate in the area a pestilent stench and stagnant water.

In different areas of the country they have been placed in rivers and gorges biobardas, which are made with loop, mesh and plastic bottles to create a barrier for solid waste and thus prevent contamination from reaching the channels.

In other scenarios, the authorities have ensured the acquisition of a special mesh to retain these wastes, but so far no government agency has been interested in achieving a solution to this evil that affects all Dominicans.

Also an Internet campaign directed to the Dominican public alleges that "we are more animals" and "less human", stating that animals do not throw garbage when they go to beaches, forests and mountains, however, citizens do. Meanwhile, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), in a commercial analysis in fisheries indicates that "The plastic penetrates the aquatic environment through the current and disintegrates in plastic waste of greater or smaller size

These elements normally come from untreated wastewater, as a result of inadequate industrial control or also due to inappropriate human behavior and fishing gear abandoned or lost. "

Water impact

The study points out that because of the contamination of the oceans and coasts by plastics, around one million birds and more than 100 thousand aquatic mammals die because they confuse the plastic with food that later reaches humans in the most exuberant dishes in restaurants and the homes.

Present inside marine foods

Likewise, it emphasizes that microplastics have been found in twelve of the twenty-five most important species and genera that contribute to the world's marine fisheries and pose an emerging problem in terms of "food safety due to the toxicity of plastic and its components" (polymerized monomers, additives) present in the oceans that has not been evaluated by the international scientific committees of experts.
https://www.elcaribe.com.do/2019/06...TdX4ZayfTuCJf0wy8_ItvcTe7nMOJ1XdXjkDKyWdm2IgI

This is a HUGE global problem certainly not confined to the DR.

The Malecon suffers particularly, I think, because of the currents. The sea simply brings whatever trash there is back onshore to crash against the rocks. There it gets trapped. I saw more than one or two or three or .... heroic and massive beach clean-ups there.

During travels to Central America during the 80s, I also noted the issue of the plastic trash around- but certainly less than in the DR. Back in the days before WW2 - before the advent of plastic, trash was all biodegradable.

When I first got to StoDom, I thought the Dominicans were Very Dirty People because I saw all the trash lying about the streets, and the sidewalks, and parks. I saw Dominicans just Drop their trash on the street. I was astonished to learn how impeccably clean the insides of all the Dominican homes that I visited were. I still can't explain this. Are they simply used to having maids? Are there not enough trash cans? Even in the Women's Rooms of UPSCALE places like the Blue Mall, the toilet paper gets dropped on the floor? What Is Up with That?

There needs to be a BAN on plastic bottles on the Island. Simple as that. The Coca Cola Company needs to set up a plant to reclaim and recycle their glass bottles - refill them - and all those plastic "Dasani" bottles? Need to be picked up - and turned into something USEFUL. Now any sort of work with Plastic is going to be Toxic and everyone will scream about putting a plant to do it in Their Neighborhood - but On The Border? There is not only - essentially - No neighborhood - there is extreme poverty and already a government incentive to build factories and jobs.

A simple DEPOSIT tax for all plastic bottles? Well, of course - No Tax in the DR (or perhaps ANYWHERE) will go to the purpose for which it is designated....

But in Las Terrenas, even back in 2012- they were collecting plastic to recycle it.

And the Shame and Blame stuff works. Many can remember when American highways were littered with trash. It was LadyBird Johnson who started the campaign of "don't be a litterbug" - and now there is an "adopt a highway program"..

The DR is in a very sensitive and precarious position because there is NO Where to put the stuff... I am not even sure where the land fills are? How the trash is taken care of? Where it is taken from Santo Domingo. Certainly in Santo Domingo it was just NOT picked up frequently enough. Sure - in Nato and Piantini, perhaps - but not even in Gazcue.

The Malecon is very beautiful.

But I do believe that the Hilton Hotel straight pipes their sewage into the sea along the Malecon. Or at least it smells that way.

The stench does not all come from Dominicans nor the local garbage.

Not an easy issue and one that we all are facing.

but particularly pressing for an Island.

M

mountainannie

A song by a friend of mine

written apropos of how folks lived in the mountains of North Carolina - where there was no trash pick-up

B

bigbird

There is another thread floating around here somewhere talking about recycling..........

The initiative has begun, albeit small but you have to start somewhere.

Bon Helado for one no longer uses plastic straws and those tiny taste sampling spoons have been replaced with a paper type spoon. Both are somewhat flimsy but you only used the tasting spoon for a few seconds and the straw maybe 5 to 10 minutes.

Agora Mall Food Court has totally eliminated plastic straws. So far no vendor has switched to paper straws. Agora for awhile has had three separate trash containers, paper, plastic, and garbage.

It's a start .............

D

Derfish

There is another thread floating around here somewhere talking about recycling..........

Bon Helado for one no longer uses plastic straws and those tiny taste sampling spoons have been replaced with a paper type spoon. Both are somewhat flimsy but you only used the tasting spoon for a few seconds and the straw maybe 5 to 10 minutes.

Agora Mall Food Court has totally eliminated plastic straws. So far no vendor has switched to paper straws. Agora for awhile has had three separate trash containers, paper, plastic, and garbage.

But when one uses the three trash containers does the garbage truck follow through or dump them all on top of each other as happened in Miami for years?

B

bob saunders

Eliminating styrofoam use to be much better than worrying about plastic straws, not that there is any reason not to ban both.

B

bigbird

But when one uses the three trash containers does the garbage truck follow through or dump them all on top of each other as happened in Miami for years?

Can't answer that Derfish. Probably wouldn't make much difference now because first you have to get the people to learn to properly use the containers. I have seen plastic go in paper. Paper in garbage, garbage in plastic, etc.

B

bigbird

Eliminating styrofoam use to be much better than worrying about plastic straws, not that there is any reason not to ban both.

OH please ............ that would put one big grin on my face, completely outlaw styrofoam containers and cups.

B

bob saunders

This is a HUGE global problem certainly not confined to the DR.

The Malecon suffers particularly, I think, because of the currents. The sea simply brings whatever trash there is back onshore to crash against the rocks. There it gets trapped. I saw more than one or two or three or .... heroic and massive beach clean-ups there.

During travels to Central America during the 80s, I also noted the issue of the plastic trash around- but certainly less than in the DR. Back in the days before WW2 - before the advent of plastic, trash was all biodegradable.

When I first got to StoDom, I thought the Dominicans were Very Dirty People because I saw all the trash lying about the streets, and the sidewalks, and parks. I saw Dominicans just Drop their trash on the street. I was astonished to learn how impeccably clean the insides of all the Dominican homes that I visited were. I still can't explain this. Are they simply used to having maids? Are there not enough trash cans? Even in the Women's Rooms of UPSCALE places like the Blue Mall, the toilet paper gets dropped on the floor? What Is Up with That?

There needs to be a BAN on plastic bottles on the Island. Simple as that. The Coca Cola Company needs to set up a plant to reclaim and recycle their glass bottles - refill them - and all those plastic "Dasani" bottles? Need to be picked up - and turned into something USEFUL. Now any sort of work with Plastic is going to be Toxic and everyone will scream about putting a plant to do it in Their Neighborhood - but On The Border? There is not only - essentially - No neighborhood - there is extreme poverty and already a government incentive to build factories and jobs.

A simple DEPOSIT tax for all plastic bottles? Well, of course - No Tax in the DR (or perhaps ANYWHERE) will go to the purpose for which it is designated....

But in Las Terrenas, even back in 2012- they were collecting plastic to recycle it.

And the Shame and Blame stuff works. Many can remember when American highways were littered with trash. It was LadyBird Johnson who started the campaign of "don't be a litterbug" - and now there is an "adopt a highway program"..

The DR is in a very sensitive and precarious position because there is NO Where to put the stuff... I am not even sure where the land fills are? How the trash is taken care of? Where it is taken from Santo Domingo. Certainly in Santo Domingo it was just NOT picked up frequently enough. Sure - in Nato and Piantini, perhaps - but not even in Gazcue.

The Malecon is very beautiful.

But I do believe that the Hilton Hotel straight pipes their sewage into the sea along the Malecon. Or at least it smells that way.

The stench does not all come from Dominicans nor the local garbage.

Not an easy issue and one that we all are facing.

but particularly pressing for an Island.

Plastc can be recycled in to fence posts, picnic table, highway barriers blocks...etc. Where there is a will there is a way.

D

Derfish

Can't answer that Derfish. Probably wouldn't make much difference now because first you have to get the people to learn to properly use the containers. I have seen plastic go in paper. Paper in garbage, garbage in plastic, etc.

Actually first should be to find someone or some company which can make use of the plastic before seperating it out. It does no good to seperate it if not.
Derfish

B

bienamor

have known 2 companies go belly up trying to recycle the plastic bottles. there must be 200 thousand bottles or more sitting beside the idled machines.

F

frank recktenwald

Yes they have to be taught but then it also has to be enforced and that won't be easy in the DR.
We have garbage inspectors here who get stiffies when they find some plastic in the paper bin so they can hand out tickets.

N

NanSanPedro

It won't be easy, that's for sure. The small malecon here in San Pedro is cleaned daily, with sheet all over the place. I see trash cans not used. It will take a generation to change things.