No photos of traffic accident victims

W

waytogo

This is long overdue.......

The Chamber of Deputies passed the bill received from the Senate that bans the publishing of pictures of victims of tragic events. The bill seeks to protect the image, intimacy and family honor of the victim. A penalty of 10 minimum wages is set for those found in violation. The bill now passes to the Executive Branch for signing and publication for it to become law.

DR1 Daily News - Wednesday, 19 June 2019

T

the gorgon

This is long overdue.......

The Chamber of Deputies passed the bill received from the Senate that bans the publishing of pictures of victims of tragic events. The bill seeks to protect the image, intimacy and family honor of the victim. A penalty of 10 minimum wages is set for those found in violation. The bill now passes to the Executive Branch for signing and publication for it to become law.

long overdue. i remember many years ago, there was a magazine called Sucesos, and they always posted the most grotesque images on the front pages. they were not for the weak of stomach. i always wondered how the government allowed them to continue doing it, but i see we are now looking at a case of ''better late than never''.

A

Andre585

Its about time. Nothing is worse than how they throw the deceased images all over the news.

B

BermudaRum

What about video, if yes one would believe that Detrasdelrumor will no longer exist.

C

carlos

A definite step in the right direction. Hope they sign this ASAP.

M

melphis

Long over due. I can't imagine losing a loved one in a car wreck then having to see whats left of them in the local news. They should set the penalty higher on the media that publishes anything.

T

Tom0910

That won't stop the locals from posting photos and videos on Feiboo which is where most people see them anyway....

T

the gorgon

That won't stop the locals from posting photos and videos on Feiboo which is where most people see them anyway....

very true....

at least the dimension wherein someone is profiteering from a disgusting practice will be expunged.

L

Luperon

A good start...Now if they would enforce traffic laws, equipment regulations and stop the crazy taxes on safer new car imports, they could end 90% of the deaths.

They are the main culprit.

P

PJT

Hope this bill includes a ban of published photos of victims in hospitals/clinics or deceased victims in repose at la funerarea. The only exception(s) would be if the family provides a signed release. Privacy in the DR is usually reserved for the powerful, privilaged, and those who can afford it.

It is about time the common folk get some respect. Damn shame it has to be by mandate.

Regards,

PJT

L

lifeisgreat

After a few get charged after a complaint ,word will get around..most use real names which makes it easier...

C

CristoRey

Laws in this country are often worth less than
the paper they are printed on.. in practice. Tho I
do think its long over due.

A

AlterEgo

Today’s DR1 news, it’s been signed into law

Law enacted to protect honor and privacy of deceased and accident victims
President Danilo Medina enacted Law 192-19 that penalizes the publishing in any media of pictures that could affect the image, reputation or privacy of the deceased or injured persons and the family. The law bans the publishing of private life details of an injured or deceased person. It prohibits the publishing of videos, or photographs of naked dead persons or a person in underwear by any media.

Accident victims may claim the protection of their rights to privacy and their own image when, without their authorization, these have been disclosed by any means of communication.

In the same way, article 7 of the referred law establishes that the relatives of a deceased person or the authorized person, have the right to initiate a lawsuit for the illegitimate intrusion in their personal data or the disclosure of private images without authorization, or in violation of the honor and the image of the deceased and the family privacy.

https://presidencia.gob.do/noticias/...midad-familiar

M

mobrouser

I assume that Law 192-19 also includes not releasing detailed autopsy results, except to the family.....

J

JDJones

Time will tell. I have my doubts. There's 101 "News outlets" on Facebook alone dedicated to showing gory details.

N

NALs

Many Dominicans actually like to look at victims of all sorts. There was (or maybe its still in circulation) a magazine that was very popular, I think it was called Sucesos. The whole magazine was of photos of victims either that died in an accident, committed suicide, etc with a few descriptions. I wish I was kidding.

It's great that it has signed into law, but once it's in effect it remains to be seen if the police enforce it. Many foreigners think it's disrespectful, but many Dominicans think nothing of those type of photos.

J

JDJones

Many Dominicans actually like to look at victims of all sorts. There was (or maybe its still in circulation) a magazine that was very popular, I think it was called Sucesos. The whole magazine was of photos of victims either that died in an accident, committed suicide, etc with a few descriptions. I wish I was kidding.

It's great that it has signed into law, but once it's in effect it remains to be seen if the police enforce it. Many foreigners think it's disrespectful, but many Dominicans think nothing of those type of photos.

Back in the day Sucesos came stapled shut, then later in a plastic sheath to stop people from browsing through them without paying.

Puerto Rico had their own version of blood soaked newspaper as well. (the name slips my mind at the moment)