I want to purchase equity in a law practice

R

rogerramjet1

Hi
I seek to purchase equity in a law practice.
I am not a lawyer. Is this possible in the DR?

THANKS

F

Fabio J. Guzman

Yes, but highly unusual. I don't know of any instance when it has happened.

R

rogerramjet1

Thank you.
I was reading in that such investment in the USA by a non-lawyer is illegal. I was curious about the DR stance on this matter

D

Dr_Taylor

Thank you.
I was reading in that such investment in the USA by a non-lawyer is illegal. I was curious about the DR stance on this matter
The problem in the USA is not that it is "illegal," the various professional conduct codes deem it unethical. With very rare exceptions, professional conduct codes make it unethical for a lawyer to report to a non-lawyer when the lawyer is engaged in the practice of law. Exceptions such as the Attorney General reporting to the President occur; however, the non-lawyer cannot direct the practice of law.

L

lifeisgreat

The problem in the USA is not that it is "illegal," the various professional conduct codes deem it unethical. With very rare exceptions, professional conduct codes make it unethical for a lawyer to report to a non-lawyer when the lawyer is engaged in the practice of law. Exceptions such as the Attorney General reporting to the President occur; however, the non-lawyer cannot direct the practice of law.
No ..but he can get fired...;) ;)

L

LTSteve

Hi
I seek to purchase equity in a law practice.
I am not a lawyer. Is this possible in the DR?

THANKS

If you want to loose your investment be my guest. Why would you think this would be a good move for a gringo? I think the key is you are not a lawyer and I'm assuming you are not bi-lingual either. Someone will take your money and adios amigo. I've read many of your posts and you seem to want to dive into the shallow end of the pool most of the time. Tread lightly. If you really want to throw your money away I can suggest better places to do it?

E

El Rey de Mangu

If you want to loose your investment be my guest. Why would you think this would be a good move for a gringo? I think the key is you are not a lawyer and I'm assuming you are not bi-lingual either. Someone will take your money and adios amigo. I've read many of your posts and you seem to want to dive into the shallow end of the pool most of the time. Tread lightly. If you really want to throw your money away I can suggest better places to do it?

This guy isn't serious LTSteve, come on. And here he is wasting Dr. Guzman's time. His posts are racially charged against Dominicans, so where is he going with this.

L

LTSteve

This guy isn't serious LTSteve, come on. And here he is wasting Dr. Guzman's time. His posts are racially charged against Dominicans, so where is he going with this.

The sad thing he is serious. He has posted a lot of crazy questions and hair brain schemes. It may all be an act.

C

chico bill

Any legal practice that is successful wouldn't want the interferenc nor give away growing equity. Some lousy law firm with few clients and debts mounting might do it.

In the end a fool and his money are soon parted..........

R

rogerramjet1

Stevo, it's best to enter into the shallow end, rather than enter into the DEEP end which is obviously more dangerous. I won’t be following your advice on that one. But, I take your point, you tried. Secondly, It is ‘lose' not 'loOse'. Again you tried. You assumed that I am NOT Bi-lingual...I am bi-lingual. You are 3 down!!

Let me explain my world to you on a level that you can understand. I am a business man with 20+ years experience, a successful one at that! I own 10 properties in the DR, all of which have made a 5-7% return via rental activity. I own 2 other business in the DR. I also own a number of businesses in 2 other countries + properties. I didn't get to my level of success and wealth by being 'hair-brained'. I do not need to work, and I have just gone 50. In fact I could have retired at 30 years of age but there was still money to be made. I am an entrepreneur. I am an inventive, creative 'go-getter', and a very successful wealthy one at that.

I research before investing in 'anything' which translates to asking questions, questions, and more questions which I believe is the main function of this board. I like to ask whimsical questions, of the common people, people like you. I want to know what is happening on the ground, so to speak.

All business people research, I am no different. You mentioned that I am involved or interested in 'hair brained' schemes. This is another assumption. I find that the workers; and retirees with nothing to do are quite well informed on the whole, but can be prone to ‘running their mouth’ because they are bored, inebriated, bitter or jealous.

I found your opinion about not investing in a law practice to be commensurate with opinions I have received from other educated highly placed people / officials. Well done Stevo! You got one right! That’s one for the common people!!
As a result, I have dropped this idea of owning a portion of a legal practice. Thank you for your contribution!

I am however quite sure, that should I have DIVED into the shallow end I would have certainly struck my head leaving me with an inability to spell the word 'lose’, or a predilection to assume things incorrectly.

Stevo, you don't know me at all, so I would suggest you put your head back down onto the bar next to your Presidente and continue onward with your life, which by all accounts includes you commenting on things/people you know nothing about (i.e yours truly!). I on the other hand shall continue buying the DR, and/or any other business I can get for a song. Thanks for the learning moment.
I’m ready for a Presidente, your SHOUT Stevo..waddayasayyyyyyy????

E

El Rey de Mangu

I am a business man with 20+ years experience, a successful one at that! I own 10 properties in the DR, all of which have made a 5-7% return via rental activity. I own 2 other business in the DR. I also own a number of businesses in 2 other countries + properties. I didn't get to my level of success and wealth by being 'hair-brained'. I do not need to work, and I have just gone 50

I was taught that if you have to go around telling folks how good you are at something, most likely you're not that good at it. :ermm: