Book on the History of the Border

M

mountainannie

Don't think that I ever posted here on this book on the border

"On The Edge - Writing the Border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic"

Maria Christina Fumagalli

Published by
Liverpool University Press

Christina was referred to me through a message board on Haiti and we wrote back and forth before she first came to the DR to start her "on the ground" research. When she said that he was taking her 9 month old up to Dajabon. I insisted that I come with them. We also made a long journey of a week down to Pedernales/Anse a Pitres together. After those trips, she - along with her husband Jon and their son, Ernesto, and I became fast friends over the next three years, spending two Christmas celebrations together.

It is an academic book drawn from literature published in French and Spanish. Christina did a lot of research in the National Library in Santo Domingo where she was given a private office as a visiting scholar.

Christina is Italian and a professor of English at the University of Essex, specializing in the Caribbean. (Oh- how those multi-lingual Europeans fill me with envy!)

Written in English and dating back to 1791, and carrying on to the present day, it will most iikely be of many Dominicans on this Board.

I was honored to be included in the Acknowledgements.

I am not sure where it can be purchased but am sure that it is in both the National Library and that of Funglode.

Last edited:
N

NanSanPedro

Don't think that I ever posted here on this book on the border

"On The Edge - Writing the Border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic"

Maria Christina Fumagalli

Published by
Liverpool University Press

Christina was referred to me through a message board on Haiti and we wrote back and forth before she first came to the DR to start her "on the ground" research. When she said that he was taking her 9 month old up to Dajabon. I insisted that I come with them. We also made a long journey of a week down to Pedernales/Anse a Pitres together. After those trips, she - along with her husband Jon and their son, Ernesto, and I became fast friends over the next three years, spending two Christmas celebrations together.

It is an academic book drawn from literature published in French and Spanish. Christina did a lot of research in the National Library in Santo Domingo where she was given a private office as a visiting scholar.

Christina is Italian and a professor of English at the University of Essex, specializing in the Caribbean. (Oh- how those multi-lingual Europeans fill me with envy!)

Written in English and dating back to 1791, and carrying on to the present day, it will most iikely be of many Dominicans on this Board.

I was honored to be included in the Acknowledgements.

I am not sure where it can be purchased but am sure that it is in both the National Library and that of Funglode.

It's got a picture of the River Massacre. I bathed in that river about 12 years ago! ;)

N

NALs

It's got a picture of the River Massacre. I bathed in that river about 12 years ago! ;)
The Spanish always called that river Dajabón (the Spanish town that was built as a post on the northern border took part if its name from the river; I think the town full name is San Joaquín de Dajabón.) Once the Spanish made a massacre of the French in that vicinity, on French maps the Dajabón River became the Massacre River. Lets all wonder why the French renamed the river. Some say it was in the final decades of the XVII century.

More info here: The Origin Of The Massacre Name For The Dajabon River