Gizmos and Gadgets

M

mountainannie

{We used to have a popular thread on What To Bring as Gifts to the Dominican Republic-
Perhaps Mods could resurrect that thread and add this to that? )

Of all the things that I brought to the DR, by far the most useful was the little headlamp. They are very cheap now- and go perhaps up to $25. Although useful in SD where there are frequent black outs, they are wonderful in the Campo where they will allow one to walk about in the dark.

Another thing that is very useful and that I once gave away - even though I had JUST bought it - was the auxiliary charger for cell phones/Kindles and the like. You plug in, you have it charged - it will keep your cell and Kindle going. Folks who have cars will most likely have the capacity to charge Cells etc from their cars - but most Dominicans do not have cars.

As I sit by my computer, I have plugged into it my OPALAR tiny desk fan which plugs into it. It has some sort of huge battery in it that I have never seen that I assume is rechargeable. it will run for a certain time unplugged.. not really sure how long - but I used it during the last hurricane here when the power went out and it was a godsend....

The other thing - which is in my hurricane kit - is a hand crank and battery powered flashlight/radio combo. I am certain that would delight anyone who lives either in a Barrio or the Campo.

B

beeza

Those that do have cars, should have a dash cam. Essential equipment for the driving gringo in my opinion. Mine have got me out of a few awkward situations already.

Very affordable these days.

M

mountainannie

This year I saw a few Dominicans with solar powered back up packs for their cellphones. They're about the size of a cellphone, and can be recharged either by sun or by electricity. They would be a godsend in the campo. Mini inverters.

I actually brought one down with me, but never used it.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=solar+ph...KA8J&sprefix=solar,aps,181&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_5

On a visit to Haiti once, I went to a little village close to the border at Jimani/Malpasse which was entirely without either running water or electricity. One enterprising young man had a solar panel - about 2x3 - which he said his brother in the Capital had bought for him. From that, he had plugged in an extension cord from which there were plugged in 10 cells phones charging.

I am not sure if there are little dusty towns on the DR side of the border without electricity? Most of them probably have it - even if it might be intermittent. Certainly the major ones - Dajabon, Elias Pinas, Pedernales - do.

But even for the campesinos up in Samana, I reckon that little cell phone solar charger would

Make a GREAT GIFT!

B

Buffness

The other thing - which is in my hurricane kit - is a hand crank and battery powered flashlight/radio combo.

Hurricane kit we tried and tested in DR :

1. Emergency Power Failure LED Light Bulbs - Lights Up Automatically When Power Fails - Rechargeable Battery - Works Like Ordinary Bulbs - 3500K Hurricane 9W 120V 60W ....all 4 worked

2. Portable Generator Rechargeable Lithium Battery Pack Solar Generator with 110V AC Outlet, 12V Car, USB Output Off-grid Power Supply for CPAP Backup Camping Emergency ....worked for the fans, the small TVs ( under 32’) and computers .