Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Playero grocery baggers

In the past 6 weeks I noticed that all the young grocery baggers were gone. We were stuck bagging our own stuff and once in a while somebody would help out. Today there were 3 adult baggers with blue playero t-shirts. As the girl loaded my groceries into my car I asked her what happened. She said that since they were basically kids, were not employees and only worked for tips, the government would no longer allow it. She said there were about 30 baggers. If kept, they would have to be made employees. That would cost a fortune in salaries.

So here are 30 kids who want to work, willing to work for tips and now the government has put them on the street. Much better for them to panhandle or steal than to be earning an honest living. This city is getting to civil. Bagging service will be terrible at playero now.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkey View Post
    In the past 6 weeks I noticed that all the young grocery baggers were gone. We were stuck bagging our own stuff and once in a while somebody would help out. Today there were 3 adult baggers with blue playero t-shirts. As the girl loaded my groceries into my car I asked her what happened. She said that since they were basically kids, were not employees and only worked for tips, the government would no longer allow it. She said there were about 30 baggers. If kept, they would have to be made employees. That would cost a fortune in salaries.

So here are 30 kids who want to work, willing to work for tips and now the government has put them on the street. Much better for them to panhandle or steal than to be earning an honest living. This city is getting to civil. Bagging service will be terrible at playero now.
    i fail to see why baggers work, anyway. i have never seen anyone giving them a peso, anyway. they are not salaried, so i fail to see why they show up to do free service for millionaire owners.

i once asked the owner of a POP supermarket if he ever though of the novel concept of putting a tip box at the end of the checkout counter...he never even bothered to respond.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say that the bagging services were all that good to begin with. The predominant operational philosophy was to shove everything that would fit into a bag into the bag without much concern for the fragility of the item. A bag of chips with other items piled on top. The fresh bread getting scrunched up at on end because a jar of jam and a bottle of pop occupied the same bag.

Baggers aside, I'm not sure what the stock people and the distributors do with the merchandise before it gets to me. I bought a bag of snack food onion rings the other day and the bag contained 4 complete rings and the rest of the contents were ring fragments. Potato chips often seem to have a really hard life by the time I get around to opening the bag and finding the contents much too small to eat with a dip.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Very few people are interested in their jobs, they only think of the pesos.

5. Dislikes wuarhat disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Au contraire...

I find the boy baggers to be excellent...
    Soft , crushables go on top.
    Cool things for my ice go in one bag

Yes, I give a bit of direction... they aren't FORD VP's ya know

I often calculate their earnings... not shabby
    My usual tip is 10-25 pesos - depending
    They make how many runs an hour... I see people tipping ALL THE TIME !

Easy approaching 100pesos/hour....
    beats begging.... IMO

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    Very few people are interested in their jobs, they only think of the pesos.
    baggers don't have jobs. they hustle a few pesos. guys go to Playero and shell out 15k pesos for a shopping cart of stuff, the kids bag it, and nobody gives them a centavo. where are these pesos they are thinking about?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Au contraire...

I find the boy baggers to be excellent...
    Soft , crushables go on top.
    Cool things for my ice go in one bag

Yes, I give a bit of direction... they aren't FORD VP's ya know

I often calculate their earnings... not shabby
    My usual tip is 10-25 pesos - depending
    They make how many runs an hour... I see people tipping ALL THE TIME !

Easy approaching 100pesos/hour....
    beats begging.... IMO
    with you all the way, ww. the guys in POP seem to do a decent job. my stuff gets home quite nicely, thank you.

9. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    baggers don't have jobs. they hustle a few pesos. guys go to Playero and shell out 15k pesos for a shopping cart of stuff, the kids bag it, and nobody gives them a centavo. where are these pesos they are thinking about?
    Ok it is not a job but a hobby. Not even interested in their hobby then.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I was referencing Playero....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, I was talking in general.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast