Playero grocery baggers

S

Seamonkey

In the past 6 weeks I noticed that all the young grocery baggers were gone. We were stuck bagging our own stuff and once in a while somebody would help out. Today there were 3 adult baggers with blue playero t-shirts. As the girl loaded my groceries into my car I asked her what happened. She said that since they were basically kids, were not employees and only worked for tips, the government would no longer allow it. She said there were about 30 baggers. If kept, they would have to be made employees. That would cost a fortune in salaries.

So here are 30 kids who want to work, willing to work for tips and now the government has put them on the street. Much better for them to panhandle or steal than to be earning an honest living. This city is getting to civil. Bagging service will be terrible at playero now.

T

the gorgon

In the past 6 weeks I noticed that all the young grocery baggers were gone. We were stuck bagging our own stuff and once in a while somebody would help out. Today there were 3 adult baggers with blue playero t-shirts. As the girl loaded my groceries into my car I asked her what happened. She said that since they were basically kids, were not employees and only worked for tips, the government would no longer allow it. She said there were about 30 baggers. If kept, they would have to be made employees. That would cost a fortune in salaries.

So here are 30 kids who want to work, willing to work for tips and now the government has put them on the street. Much better for them to panhandle or steal than to be earning an honest living. This city is getting to civil. Bagging service will be terrible at playero now.

i fail to see why baggers work, anyway. i have never seen anyone giving them a peso, anyway. they are not salaried, so i fail to see why they show up to do free service for millionaire owners.

i once asked the owner of a POP supermarket if he ever though of the novel concept of putting a tip box at the end of the checkout counter...he never even bothered to respond.

C

Cdn_Gringo

I wouldn't say that the bagging services were all that good to begin with. The predominant operational philosophy was to shove everything that would fit into a bag into the bag without much concern for the fragility of the item. A bag of chips with other items piled on top. The fresh bread getting scrunched up at on end because a jar of jam and a bottle of pop occupied the same bag.

Baggers aside, I'm not sure what the stock people and the distributors do with the merchandise before it gets to me. I bought a bag of snack food onion rings the other day and the bag contained 4 complete rings and the rest of the contents were ring fragments. Potato chips often seem to have a really hard life by the time I get around to opening the bag and finding the contents much too small to eat with a dip.

F

Fulano2

Very few people are interested in their jobs, they only think of the pesos.

W

william webster

Au contraire...

I find the boy baggers to be excellent...
Soft , crushables go on top.
Cool things for my ice go in one bag

Yes, I give a bit of direction... they aren't FORD VP's ya know

I often calculate their earnings... not shabby
My usual tip is 10-25 pesos - depending
They make how many runs an hour... I see people tipping ALL THE TIME !

Easy approaching 100pesos/hour....
beats begging.... IMO

T

the gorgon

Very few people are interested in their jobs, they only think of the pesos.

baggers don't have jobs. they hustle a few pesos. guys go to Playero and shell out 15k pesos for a shopping cart of stuff, the kids bag it, and nobody gives them a centavo. where are these pesos they are thinking about?

T

the gorgon

Au contraire...

I find the boy baggers to be excellent...
Soft , crushables go on top.
Cool things for my ice go in one bag

Yes, I give a bit of direction... they aren't FORD VP's ya know

I often calculate their earnings... not shabby
My usual tip is 10-25 pesos - depending
They make how many runs an hour... I see people tipping ALL THE TIME !

Easy approaching 100pesos/hour....
beats begging.... IMO

with you all the way, ww. the guys in POP seem to do a decent job. my stuff gets home quite nicely, thank you.

F

Fulano2

baggers don't have jobs. they hustle a few pesos. guys go to Playero and shell out 15k pesos for a shopping cart of stuff, the kids bag it, and nobody gives them a centavo. where are these pesos they are thinking about?
Ok it is not a job but a hobby. Not even interested in their hobby then.

T

the gorgon

Ok it is not a job but a hobby. Not even interested in their hobby then.

it is not a hobby. the kids you see there are mostly from desperately poor households, hoping to make a few pesos to put some salami on the table. they are not there to finance their stock portfolios. if you bagged the groceries of 100 people, and 5 gave you 10 pesos, you would not be interested, either.

W

william webster

Me??
I'd be the kid just outside the front door waiting to help you

I cut lawns all over every weekend in my youth... knew every old lady for blocks

Same with snow shoveling ... Friday night snow was my gold mine !!!

F

Fulano2

Why are you always trying to explain situations here? Do you really think you are the teacher educating tourists here?
I have lived here for over ten years, part-time teaching spanish to foreigners, and have done voluntary work in barrios of the capital where you probably never have been. So I know what a bagger is, yes.

@Gorgon of course.

T

the gorgon

Me??
I'd be the kid just outside the front door waiting to help you

I cut lawns all over every weekend in my youth... knew every old lady for blocks

Same with snow shoveling ... Friday night snow was my gold mine !!!

exactly. then again, you grew up in an ecosystem which valued you. when you shoveled snow, you normally did it in your own neighborhood. when you showed up with your shovel, you were Mrs Webster's little boy. when you were done, you probably got a cup of hot chocolate, with marshmallows. Miss Martha probably gave you a slice of pie to take to your mom.

the kids are Playero are ne'er do well urchins who do not know the value of work.

W

william webster

No - not quite..... but yes...if I wanted that
treatment, I knew where to go

I was just cold calling at 8am on a Saturday morning... cute kid and all !!!!
haha

T

the gorgon

Why are you always trying to explain situations here? Do you really think you are the teacher educating tourists here?
I have lived here for over ten years, part-time teaching spanish to foreigners, and have done voluntary work in barrios of the capital where you probably never have been. So I know what a bagger is, yes.

@Gorgon of course.

if you knew what a bagger is, you would not suggest that his exertions constitute a hobby. your wealth of understanding would have informed you otherwise. poor people do not amuse themselves by working free for people who have way more money than they do.

W

william webster

Like somebody I know....

I had no set asking price..........
Whatever is fair....

and therein lies the comparison to the baggers

S

Seamonkey

As if!!! Everybody I know tipped the baggers. You just know very cheap people if they can't be bothered to tip somebody providing a service.

S

Seamonkey

it is not a hobby. the kids you see there are mostly from desperately poor households, hoping to make a few pesos to put some salami on the table. they are not there to finance their stock portfolios. if you bagged the groceries of 100 people, and 5 gave you 10 pesos, you would not be interested, either.

Try more like 50 pesos being the average tip for the Playero baggers on a decent size order.