Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rentista naturalization

Has anyone with RENTISTA residency successfully obtained naturalization? One attorney told me, after checking with the the new Director [late last year], says due to fast track nature or something like that, Rentista is not truly permanent residency and won't accept naturalization application. Likewise, our cards are only good for 2-year periods when others get 4.

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

The requirements for ordinary naturalization which would be your category, just say you need to have had 2 years of permanent residency. There are no requirements for different types of residency categorisation so I really can't see that rentista as opposed to married to a dominican, as opposed to inversionista, as opposed to residency by virtue of work contract would make any difference.

http://www.mip.gob.do/index.php/requisitos-ordinarios

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums
    www.DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

In reality.... all 'Permanent' residencies need renewing - 1yr, 2yr , 4yr or 10 yr

In that sense NONE are permanent

Go to Citizenship when you can - after 2 yrs residency...IMO

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Man.... This looks harder than getting the US citizenship... My sister in law wants to do this for her husband but they live in the US

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Not that 'hard'..... but tedious........

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asan View Post
    Man.... This looks harder than getting the US citizenship... My sister in law wants to do this for her husband but they live in the US
    Acquiring DR citizenship is NOT as difficult as acquiring US citizenship by any stretch of the imagination. Moreover, the US process does not occur as quickly and requires compliance with numerous obstacles such as presence in the country for particular time periods. The DR system is fairer as well. The DR may have its issues, however, the citizenship process for the average person is easier to navigate than that for the US and rich countries.

7. Likes windeguy, TropicalPaul liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I am gathering the documents at this time for naturalization. Tedious it is and will be.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Once the papers are in order....it's not that hard at all - Citizenship

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nekokatt View Post
    Has anyone with RENTISTA residency successfully obtained naturalization? One attorney told me, after checking with the the new Director [late last year], says due to fast track nature or something like that, Rentista is not truly permanent residency and won't accept naturalization application. Likewise, our cards are only good for 2-year periods when others get 4.
    The only downside to the Rentista visa as far as I am concerned is that you have to pay something like RD$ 22,000 every two years to renew. But there are a lot of advantages. Firstly you breeze through Migracion when you do renew, you are handled in a separate office and it is always very quick and very professional. Secondly there are quite a lot of tax breaks for people with Rentista visa (which you would not get if you naturalized). For example Rentistas pay 50% of the IPI tax and 50% of any property transfer taxes. In addition, if you naturalize and have a problem in Dom Rep, your former country's embassy will have nothing to do with you (even if you have dual citizenship this is the case). So if you were arrested for example, as a visa holder the embassy has to visit you and has to get involved. This would not be the case if you naturalized. And there are quite a lot of issues back home if you do naturalize, for example if you open a bank account or do anything financial or to do with insurance, the question often pops up whether you are citizen of any other country. So think very hard before going down the naturalization route.

11. Likes cavok, nekokatt liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Paul- I believe your talking about the USA when you cite these hurdle/difficulties

Canad has no such rules that I know of

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast