Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    While MA and Mangu made good points, I do believe that it is a good idea that someone gives a different perspective on DR, especially someone younger. DR is not exactly on backpacker map and it has everything to be, so why not?

Last thing, there is a tons of guidebooks as MA pointed out, never used ones for DR so I can judge on the quality, but some of these author may have spent less time on the ground than the OP (6 months!). With the internet, younger people rely less and less on guidebooks and more and more on blogs and travelers forums.

Good luck to you OP !
    How Gracious Of YOU!

I did not read 6 months-- read it somehow as 2 months!

And - indeed - I am a fossil

and so do actually Read Books

And even Internet forums such as DR1 and the Lonely Planet ones

Certainly there ought to be more BackPacking in the DR since it can be done very inexpensively

It was simply the TONE -- as in We Have Now Done Something That No One Else Has Done

But then - perhaps that is simply good marketing...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

While MA and Mangu made good points, I do believe that it is a good idea that someone gives a different perspective on DR, especially someone younger. DR is not exactly on backpacker map and it has everything to be, so why not?

Last thing, there is a tons of guidebooks as MA pointed out, never used ones for DR so I can judge on the quality, but some of these author may have spent less time on the ground than the OP (6 months!) and I can bet that none of the authors could master the guagua routes. With the internet, younger people rely less and less on guidebooks and more and more on blogs and travelers forums.

Good luck to you OP !
    I saw there was some cat looking to do real estate in San Cristobal. He may need a link to their site. Unless by "real estate", he meant "procurement" or "laser beam"

3. Likes JDJones, Africaida liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank12 View Post
    Fantastic job guys! Seriously, excellent in every way. I read your entire report. I even shared it on two different Fb pages where its getting a lot of hits.

I have bicycled around the country, motorcycled around the country, but what you guys did is absolutely fabulous! I even shared your photos!

When you are able to receive Private Messages, let me know and i will send you the links to your stuff i shared.

I have a friend in the Colonial Zone, Chris (he's a member on here) he has a Back-packing hostel right in the middle of the Colonial Zone. You might have met him? He's a super good person, and has one of the most beautiful renovated (400- 500yrs old building) Hostels i have ever stayed at in the Colonial Zone.

Anyway, great job, and ignore all the grumpy people on here.

Frank
    I Own Being Grumpy

I am Often Grumpy These Days

If YOU SAY IT IS GOOD

Then -- OK--I am down with it..

But - still? Not to read Lonely Planet? Not to Read the Moon Guide? Not to Read Petit Fute? And then Brag On That? How is that OK?

But - like you - I do hope for more tourists - and do think that there are hundreds of places not yet seen.

so -- ok

(but - really - the Mosquitos in Monte Christi Are Not To be Ignored)

5. Likes frank12, snowqueen liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gracieuse

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    How Gracious Of YOU!

I did not read 6 months-- read it somehow as 2 months!

And - indeed - I am a fossil

and so do actually Read Books

And even Internet forums such as DR1 and the Lonely Planet ones

Certainly there ought to be more BackPacking in the DR since it can be done very inexpensively

It was simply the TONE -- as in We Have Now Done Something That No One Else Has Done

But then - perhaps that is simply good marketing...
    You are welcome

I admit my first instinct was also that the OP was trying to drive traffic to his blog. However, in the current state of DR in the news, we should welcome positive advertisement for the island IMHO.
    Last edited by Africaida; 06-26-2019 at 12:20 PM.

7. Likes mountainannie, bienamor, snowqueen liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    I Own Being Grumpy

I am Often Grumpy These Days

If YOU SAY IT IS GOOD

Then -- OK--I am down with it..

But - still? Not to read Lonely Planet? Not to Read the Moon Guide? Not to Read Petit Fute? And then Brag On That? How is that OK?

But - like you - I do hope for more tourists - and do think that there are hundreds of places not yet seen.

so -- ok

(but - really - the Mosquitos in Monte Christi Are Not To be Ignored)
    We never wanted to sound like we were bragging about not reading a guidebook or anything like that. We just wanted to show that it could be done! You can fly to Costa Rica with no plan and there is free information, maps, bus schedules, hotel locations EVERYWHERE! We just wanted to provide our experience and try to help to get some of this information all in one place.

I certainly remember when I landed in DR for my first time and how nervous I was. I'm sure we all remember our first time being in DR and how overwhelming it can be at first. We just wanted to help people who might need it or are hesitant about coming to the DR.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome

I admit my first instinct was also that the OP was driving traffic to his blog. However, in the current state of DR in the news, we should welcome positive advertisement for the island IMHO.
    well they sure seemed to get some free press on this site this morning. Too bad it's a little late to help poor Roy Van Tinteren or Darryl F (RIP)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr-backpacking View Post
    No we do not make any money on the site right now. These are no affiliate links, just links to help visitors find the items we liked easier

Could you explain what you mean with the more useful ads? What kind of things would you be interested in?
    It will be interesting to see how long you can resist the lure of placing ads on the site. You already have the ads that drive traffic to Amazon. Either intentionally, or intentionally. Maybe others, it took less than five minutes to find the Amazon ads. Most sites now have the intention to make money. It's great to make money to finance your adventures, the site, etc. The possibilities are vast. But, it does change the landscape. Good luck. And, thanks for the great photos.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr-backpacking View Post
    We never wanted to sound like we were bragging about not reading a guidebook or anything like that. We just wanted to show that it could be done! You can fly to Costa Rica with no plan and there is free information, maps, bus schedules, hotel locations EVERYWHERE! We just wanted to provide our experience and try to help to get some of this information all in one place.

I certainly remember when I landed in DR for my first time and how nervous I was. I'm sure we all remember our first time being in DR and how overwhelming it can be at first. We just wanted to help people who might need it or are hesitant about coming to the DR.
    A truly interesting concept indeed. Very popular globally. May I ask what measures of personal defense you utilized or recommend for others while backpacking within RD, especially outside of the tourist areas?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

13. Likes dr-backpacking liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by franco1111 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how long you can resist the lure of placing ads on the site. You already have the ads that drive traffic to Amazon. Either intentionally, or intentionally. Maybe others, it took less than five minutes to find the Amazon ads. Most sites now have the intention to make money. It's great to make money to finance your adventures, the site, etc. The possibilities are vast. But, it does change the landscape. Good luck. And, thanks for the great photos.
    We never want the site to become a full on "millennial" blog site with Instagram and Facebook links, edited pictures, and ads everywhere. These were the sites we couldn't stand reading from when researching a country!

Those really aren't referral links, they are simply direct links to each product. We thought it would be easier than saying "We own this backpack and love it, now Google it yourself". But now I can absolutely see how it can look like an ad or something we are monetizing. We will work on changing that!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast