Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    How Gracious Of YOU!

I did not read 6 months-- read it somehow as 2 months!

And - indeed - I am a fossil

and so do actually Read Books

And even Internet forums such as DR1 and the Lonely Planet ones

Certainly there ought to be more BackPacking in the DR since it can be done very inexpensively

It was simply the TONE -- as in We Have Now Done Something That No One Else Has Done

But then - perhaps that is simply good marketing...
    To be totally accurate MA it was 2.5 months. Certainly not 6.

dr-backpacking, not a tough crowd but certainly sceptical.
    When someone's introductory post starts with:

Quote Originally Posted by dr-backpacking View Post
    Hello everyone!

These forums have been a great help to me and I love the community here!......
    you would think that in the course of the year that your website was being developed you would have popped in here to share some of your adventures.

2. Likes El Rey de Mangu liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    I have no experience traveling around the country indeed, but as a female traveler, I totally agree with you (true to DR and other country). I go to DR to chill, don't see myself dragging my 2 monsters around. Although they are getting at that age, where we could.

I am tres gracieuse when I want to be and never said you were a fossil MA, Just that younger crowd have different approach.

PS: You a writer, have you though about a guide to DR or a blog ?
    I did a blog for YEARS when I was there --guess you missed it.. It contained my journalism articles - but went all over - and had a distinct focus on Haiti - which had been my first love as I had lived there before...

https://elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

As for the book larnin' part....

I thought the whole idea of backpacking was to jump into the deep end....
    and figure it out
    Bareback as we say sometimes.....

No advance preparation....just get'er done !!

Not something I've ever done.... so excuse me

5. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a blog for YEARS when I was there --guess you missed it.. It contained my journalism articles - but went all over - and had a distinct focus on Haiti - which had been my first love as I had lived there before...

https://elizabetheames.blogspot.com
    My bad !!! I do know your blog, had read it when I first joined DR1.

7. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

You might find this article I wrote interesting on budget travel in the DR.

https://www.escapeartist.com/blog/ec...ican-republic/

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums
    www.DR1.com

9. Likes Derfish liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    As for the book larnin' part....

I thought the whole idea of backpacking was to jump into the deep end....
    and figure it out
    Bareback as we say sometimes.....

No advance preparation....just get'er done !!

Not something I've ever done.... so excuse me
    That was perhaps the IDEA originally

and then those FIRST backpackers

Wrote very helpful guidebooks - Such as the ones I mentioned - Lonely Planet - the Moon Guide - Petet Fute

So the Second/Third/Fourth Wave would Get to the first Decent hotel by the train station and not get mugged and so that others could start building hostels on the way to the most beautiful scenic places

that is how one Gets to Macchu Picchu

(hence my snark at folks who had not already read the guides and traveled the well trod path - If they had done that - and Been there (as in BTDT) then they might have gone places that others had not gone and REALLY had new things to contribute)

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

That was perhaps the IDEA originally

and then those FIRST backpackers

Wrote very helpful guidebooks - Such as the ones I mentioned - Lonely Planet - the Moon Guide - Petet Fute

So the Second/Third/Fourth Wave would Get to the first Decent hotel by the train station and not get mugged and so that others could start building hostels on the way to the most beautiful scenic places

that is how one Gets to Macchu Picchu

(hence my snark at folks who had not already read the guides and traveled the well trod path - If they had done that - and Been there (as in BTDT) then they might have gone places that others had not gone and REALLY had new things to contribute)
    As in - when I was planning the first of the three trips to Peru that I never took - I learned from Lonely Planet that I would have to get some sort of metal mesh protector for over my pack to prevent it from being slashed open. Which was perhaps what prevented One of the trips. A Cholera outbreak was the second. A death in the family the Third. And then, well... Peru was definitely NOT on my bucket list.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr-backpacking View Post
    We don't claim to know all the information about the country or what to do here. All we want to do is try to provide simple information to people for the most common issues they may have, and a lot of times can't find online or will find a forum from the early 2000's.

We have in total about 6 months through the DR, sorry about that typo. I know it's not a lot and its nowhere close to 15 years. We are 21 and 28 years old and people who really just love the country from what we saw. Wed on't want to drive traffic on the website. We just want people to know it's there if they need it, or people who are hesitant to travel there (especially with everything happening now) and need some confirmation that there are ways to do it and that it isn't as scary as it may seem.

I'm sorry if I offended you in some way. Thank you for the feedback though.
    This is what you are up against when you post on this site. The people here want to control the narrative. Your insight and comments are a threat or so it seems. I applaud you for your prospective. The DR is a great place for ecotourism. Obviously, the majority of tourists coming to the DR are no where as "free spirited" as you. Thank you for letting us know about your trip and your site giving incite to those who are adventurous.
    Sadly this web-site has gotten way off track when it comes to providing solid information for many novices who travel to the DR. Keep doing what you are doing and good luck.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I, for one really enjoyed browsing your website. Neatly presented and I think you guys got a very good grasp of " life as a foreigner in the dr" in such a short time.

Kudos.

14. Likes bigbird, dr-backpacking liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234