Gated Residential demand for retal contracts - security

P

PJT

Do gated residential administrators have the right to demand notarized rental contracts from tenants of properties within a gated residential for the reason to issue them carnets and vehicle stickers? This action, they explain is to identify legitimate residents to increase security

Property owners and tenants are fine with the security measures but are annoyed by having to provide rental contracts when some other form of notarized affidavit indicating a valid residence would serve the purpose. The administrators will not accept any other form of declaration.

The underlying trouble of using rental contracts to validate residence is the documents provide private business information to the administrators, information unnecessary to the security mission. However, this unnecessary information and the contract as a whole can be used by the administrators for their own benefit, having rental properties in their charge or to sell information.

It is a thought by some owners and residents a simple notarized form stating there is: a rental agreement, the owners name(s), the renters name(s), cedula numbers, street location, apartment number, and duration of rental. It has also been suggested the parties fill and sign a simple form in the presence of the administrators.

What do you advise ????

Regards,

PJT

J

JDJones

Great way to see who is charging what for rent.

If I had to give a copy, it would have all of the financial information blacked out.

P

PJT

Great way to see who is charging what for rent.

If I had to give a copy, it would have all of the financial information blacked out.

It has been done and the notaries resist signing a redacted document.

Need a legal opinion.

Regards,

PJT

I

irishpaddy

Need a legal opinion.

Regards,

PJT

need a legal opinion ...ask a lawyer ….unless Sr. Guzman chimes in

M

MariaRubia

I'm also wondering if this may have something to do with trying to prevent short-term rentals like AirBnB. Where I live there is a complete ban on any short-term rental so before issuing a fob to a new resident, the admin need to see a notarised contract, not just something that a landlord could knock together on a computer. They would be justified in asking to see details of the financials and who the rent was being paid to.

L

ljmesg

Invasion of privacy complete BS.

Tell them to pound sand or produce an HOA document or ANYTHING that says you are compulsed to provide this information.

J

JDJones

Need a legal opinion.
Regards,

PJT

I was suggesting getting it notarized first, then make a copy and black out the $$ information.

F

Fabio J. Guzman

It depends on what the regulations of the community say and, if they stipulate the right of the administration to demand notarized rental contracts, on whether the regulations were set up properly so that owners are bound by them.

C

chico bill

Seems logical that they would want to reduce short term rentals and this would aid security for the entire place.
But what constitutes short term. Less than 3 months?

In any event gated communities are built for controlled access for privacy and security - so you likely need to play by their rules.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Regardless of the legal justification or the correctness of requesting the documents, this is what the admin has asked for. You have two choices: Comply with the request or fight it. The former is easiest while the latter will be time consuming, an inconvenience, lead to bad feelings with the admin, will cost some money and may not result in a satisfactory result in the end.

I'd suggest getting two copies of the rental agreement notarized. Turn in a photocopy with the personal info blacked out. If acceptable, great, if they want an originals, then black out one of the original and turn that in. If acceptable, great. If not, you still have one original notarized copy to hand in if that is the only option at that point. Or of course you or the tenants involved can go rent somewhere else.

Compelling someone to do something in this country using the legal system is usually a time consuming and somewhat daunting process.