Malls in SD

N

NanSanPedro

Looking for recommendations for the nicest malls in SD. We are planning a trip there in less than 2 weeks and I don't know squat about which malls have the most or best theaters, restaurants, stores, other attractions. This will be our first time.

I know this is subjective, but I would love to hear others' opinions.

Gracias

Rob

B

bigbird

Agora Mall would be one of the best. Located corner of John F Kennedy and Avenida Lincoln. Without a doubt the best food court of all the malls. Green Bowl for healthy organic salads. Pasta Pronto for pasta dishes. Trattoria Pizzarelli for brick oven pizza.

There is also Jumbo supermercado if you need to do a little grocery shopping. Several places to buy Gelato and you can sit center court at Cafe Santo Domingo sipping a nice cup of coffee. Also Krispy Kreme for some donuts to go.

If a ten minute walk in the mid-day sun doesn't bother you then cross JFK and walk down to Galeria 360. This is a much, much smaller mall but still nice. Adjacent to Galeria 360 is Ferreteria Americana for your hardware store needs.

Now if you are really adventurous you can take the Metro underground train to the last stop and visit Mega Centro. Not really much to do here other than get a first hand view of local city life.

https://agora.com.do/

R

Riva_31

Agora Mall would be one of the best. Located corner of John F Kennedy and Avenida Lincoln. Without a doubt the best food court of all the malls. Green Bowl for healthy organic salads. Pasta Pronto for pasta dishes. Trattoria Pizzarelli for brick oven pizza.

There is also Jumbo supermercado if you need to do a little grocery shopping. Several places to buy Gelato and you can sit center court at Cafe Santo Domingo sipping a nice cup of coffee. Also Krispy Kreme for some donuts to go.

If a ten minute walk in the mid-day sun doesn't bother you then cross JFK and walk down to Galeria 360. This is a much, much smaller mall but still nice. Adjacent to Galeria 360 is Ferreteria Americana for your hardware store needs.

Now if you are really adventurous you can take the Metro underground train to the last stop and visit Mega Centro. Not really much to do here other than get a first hand view of local city life.

https://agora.com.do/

I do agree with you, to me Agora is the niciest, al take a look to the otheres.

Blue Mall www.bluemall.com.do

Downtonw - www.downtowncenter.com.do

There some others too like Sambil, Novocentro

N

NanSanPedro

What day of the week?

Arriving by car?

Any children with you?

Hey BB!

It will be me and my 16 y/o restavek :)p) coming in for the day on the bus from San Pedro. We will take a moto taxi from the closest embarkation point and spend the day there. He wants to visit one of the churches too. I don't think he has ever been to a mall.

We will probably leave around 7 so we're home at a decent hour.

B

bigbird

Hey BB!

It will be me and my 16 y/o restavek :)p) coming in for the day on the bus from San Pedro. We will take a moto taxi from the closest embarkation point and spend the day there. He wants to visit one of the churches too. I don't think he has ever been to a mall.

OK, great as this way you don't have to deal with driving in SD centro.

A 16 y/o would not be interested in the kiddie amusement rides at the mall so no need for me to mention them. LOL

Don't know where the bus will let you off at but I think Agora Mall would work well. You can cross JFK and stop in IKEA to walk around, then walk down to Galeria 360. Trying to do Mega Centro would be too much.

At Galeria 360 there are always taxis and you can take one to the oldest cathedral in the Americas in zona colonial. It is beautiful inside but there is a dress code, just as there is an unwritten dress code for SD centro in general. Short pants and t-shirts are not really welcome in SD centro.

If you taxi from Galeria 360 or Agora to el conde to see the cathedral the taxi will gringo charge you. 350 pesos for that ride is a rip off but that is what they will try to charge you. It is a one day trip so bite the bullet and pay it unless of course you use Uber app.

If you find out where the bus will make stops in SD myself or someone else can better advise you the best stop to get off at.

Enjoy SD, my favorite city in la rep dom.

B

bigbird

It is the oldest cathedral in the Americas, begun in 1512 and completed in 1540. It is the Cathedral of the Archbishop of Santo Domingo who has the honorary title of Primate of the Americas because Santo Domingo was the first Catholic diocese established in the New World.

Province: Archdiocese of Santo Domingo
Part of: Colonial City of Santo Domingo

Basilica Cathedral of Santa María la Menor - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_Cathedral_of_Santa_María_la_Menor

Keep in mind dress code. I am almost certain they won't allow you inside with a sleeveless shirt. Not sure about short pants but don't risk it. Jeans and a collared shirt for the day.

From the outside the cathedral just looks like an old, old building but inside I was amazed at the detailed work done so long, long ago.

charge up the cell phone and take plenty of pics.

R

Riva_31

Hey BB!

What I do to make it faster take a public car in Av. 27 de Feb and Jose Martí corner tell the driver to stop in Avenida Duarte metro station and is faster to hit Agora in Av. Lincoln, and in my way back to San Pedro do the Same and wait for another public car in front of the metro station in Avenida Duarte.
l
Another option is take a Car in Av. 27 de Febrero and took the metro strotation in Av. Gomez, short ride from L1 to switch and take L2.

3rd. option is to take a Taxi and get there, when the bus go in Av. 27 de febrero in the cornet where they turn to the left always there are some taxis in that corner, the charge is 200.00 pesos.

N

NALs

Downtown had plenty of smoke I think it was this weekend. I don’t know if it was one store and the plaza is still open or if they closed the plaza until all the mess is cleaned up. Might not be a good mall to visit due to that, although it’s sort of new (and small).

R

Riva_31

Downtown had plenty of smoke I think it was this weekend. I don’t know if it was one store and the plaza is still open or if they closed the plaza until all the mess is cleaned up. Might not be a good mall to visit due to that, although it’s sort of new (and small).

True, a restaurant got fire this week.

B

bigbird

@OP, here is another thought that would make for a nice day. Do Agora Mall, walk across JFK and browse in IKEA. Cross back JFK and go to Pedro Mir Metro station. Take the Metro to Eduardo Brito and transfer to the Teleferico. Ride to the second stop on the Teleferico and reverse back to the Metro.

This time take the Metro to Ramón Cáceres stop. From here flag down a taxi to take you to the cathedral on el conde. See the cathedral, walk down el conde to parque independencia and from there take a taxi to the bus depot for San Pedro.

Nice mix of things to do and will easily fill your day.

N

NanSanPedro

@OP, here is another thought that would make for a nice day. Do Agora Mall, walk across JFK and browse in IKEA. Cross back JFK and go to Pedro Mir Metro station. Take the Metro to Eduardo Brito and transfer to the Teleferico. Ride to the second stop on the Teleferico and reverse back to the Metro.

This time take the Metro to Ramón Cáceres stop. From here flag down a taxi to take you to the cathedral on el conde. See the cathedral, walk down el conde to parque independencia and from there take a taxi to the bus depot for San Pedro.

Nice mix of things to do and will easily fill your day.

Thanks. I need to copy this down into my phone. Otherwise I will get lost!

K

keepcoming

BB you are amazing with your Santo Domingo "boots on the ground info". I have been here for years but still find something new in your posts!!!

B

bigbird

BB you are amazing with your Santo Domingo "boots on the ground info". I have been here for years but still find something new in your posts!!!

Thanks keepcoming, main reason I love SD centro as always something different to do.

M

MariaRubia

I know that it's fun to ride the metro in the capital, but don't forget that we have Uber and it works really well. Always just check that the plate at the back of the vehicle matches the number on your app and you are safe. For buzzing around the capital like this, Uber is definitely the best.

L

Lucas61

From top to bottom:
1. Blue Mall
2. Agora Mall
3. Galeria 360
4. MegaCentro

Don't be fooled, though! The cafeteria at MegaCentro has food to die for--variety, quality, and price.

A

alexw

From top to bottom:
1. Blue Mall
2. Agora Mall
3. Galeria 360
4. MegaCentro

Don't be fooled, though! The cafeteria at MegaCentro has food to die for--variety, quality, and price.

Where's Sambil? Which has to be #1 for the locals. I believe its number #1 for expats too.

M

Mcinbrass

From top to bottom:
1. Blue Mall
2. Agora Mall
3. Galeria 360
4. MegaCentro

I like the Chilis at Blue Mall