Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Is it eatable?
    probably depends on how hungry you are and if you're on a salt free diet

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

In December 2018 a massive island of it floated in right in front of the Sirenis Hotel. They had just finished their 100 million USD renovation and could not get rid of it in time for the grand opening. The pile that washed ashore was about 30" high and went out at least 5 feet. Sea water was trapped on the shore side and it smelled like a rotting sewer.

Of all the things that could go wrong I don't think they had any contingency plan for this. I live on the beach in that area and it was by far the worst I have ever seen. We talked with several guests at this hotel and a few others and most said they would never return to the DR because of this. We tired to explain that it was a very rare thing but who knows if they believed us.

I hope the island governments start some sort of awareness campaign that the seaweed is not always here but it does effect every Caribbean island and the gulf coast.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    The problem of Sargassum in large quantities seems to be from pollution. It is one of nature's way of fighting back. Sargassum can cause ecological disasters in the quantities showing up on beaches. Of course it also cause economic disasters. I don't see how this is going to be stopped.
    It definitely has destroy the beach experience in Punta Cana, plain nasty there now

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post
    In December 2018 a massive island of it floated in right in front of the Sirenis Hotel. They had just finished their 100 million USD renovation and could not get rid of it in time for the grand opening. The pile that washed ashore was about 30" high and went out at least 5 feet. Sea water was trapped on the shore side and it smelled like a rotting sewer.

Of all the things that could go wrong I don't think they had any contingency plan for this. I live on the beach in that area and it was by far the worst I have ever seen. We talked with several guests at this hotel and a few others and most said they would never return to the DR because of this. We tired to explain that it was a very rare thing but who knows if they believed us.

I hope the island governments start some sort of awareness campaign that the seaweed is not always here but it does effect every Caribbean island and the gulf coast.
    Even Miami is affected, including the international known South Beach. This video is from June 21, 2019.

Polls Forum Moderator

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

In the past the south Florida beach towns had tractors that dragged and cleaned the beaches every morning at daylight.
    Removed all the Sargassum and the trash.
    Not a fix but a solution.
    The big fancy hotels can easily afford tractors and trash haulers to carry away the weed.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12