Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Told them ...to bury me upside down...so the world can kiss my a$$...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgreat View Post
    Told them ...to bury me upside down...so the world can kiss my a$$...
    I saw a joke news story about the inventor of the USB interface.

They buried him upside down.

Think about it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I've taken this very seriously having seen other families have to deal with loved ones who died in a foreign country. But since I have two incurable progressive diseases, I'm even more concerned about living poorly (on a ventalator or being force fed, etc.). I have had an attorney draw up an Advance Heathcare Directive about what I want (or mostly don't want). I named my daughter as my primary representative but since she is in the U.S., I've named a younger son of a good friend here as a backup representative. Both know and have in writing my preferences to not have any intervention other than medication for pain: no incubabation, no intraveneous or artificial feeding, no transfusions beyond a certain point or any other artificial method of extending my life.

In addition, I have prepaid Blandino (US$1,400) in Santo Domingo for the handling of my body and cremation after I die. The people at my condo only have to call them and all will be handled. My cremated remains will be returned (because they must do something with them) and I've asked that they be sprinkled near the burial site of my beloved Bichon Frise, Monet!

Hope this doesn't sound too morbid. I don't care what happens to my body but I don't want to burden anyone else with the decison(s).

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I don't want to, I think I have to have the lawyer administer what happens. That Advance Care Directive you talk about is important too. Can you imagine the conversation at the hospital if you don't have it? Even with it, things probably work different here. Jjj. Y el cuerpo?

5. Likes dulce liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife wants to know if you can donate your body to one of the medical schools here in the DR?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I love Azua View Post
    My wife wants to know if you can donate your body to one of the medical schools here in the DR?
    just make sure you remove any rings, change or cigarette lighters first

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think no matter where you live a will is very important and saves a lot of headaches for those left behind ….divide whatever way you see fit and leave any instructions that you may have .

9. Likes dulce liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I love Azua View Post

My mom did this in the U.S. The entire process was very easy. All I had to dineas call the local funeral home and mention the arrangement made in advance. There was virtually no cost to our family. We were offered an option to have her cremated remains returned after a year, but I opted out if that.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

As judypdr says.... it IS a serious subject.

As a person who moves around a bit between countries , my family knows what to do.
    Her - Rep Dom - I have become a citizen to make the process a bit easier.

In Canada you sign your driver license for organ donations.... I choose to keep my eyes...

I have been thru the DNR process w/ my mother.... Do Not Resuscitate
    It's not quite as simple as you think... the hospital asks a lot of questions about interpretation.

Pain - yes
    Hydrate her - yes
    Food.. put it in front of her... if she eats fine, if not - take it away

Basically, nothing artificial... nothing beyond pain management

It seemed odd at the time that asked all that... but then I understood.

Once they understand that route.. I'm pretty sure the pain meds get stronger every day....until the end.

In theory, less financial strain on the system.

and the 'Pay in Advance' idea works.... I was all paid upu for her
    They pick up at the hospital.. do all the paperwork.. cremate and you're done

In actual fact, I wasn't there on the exact moment of her death
    I had a moving van in front of my house in PHL...
    But I got up to arrange things and see she was comfortable

She was not coherent/awake.... no knowledge of the goings on

12. Likes dulce liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irishpaddy View Post
    I think no matter where you live a will is very important and saves a lot of headaches for those left behind ….divide whatever way you see fit and leave any instructions that you may have .
    If you have enuff money to involve a court of law. I have seen informal wills that the left people paid no attention to.
    Derfish

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast