Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be an idiot....but....

with my mother, I did it all in advance... she had her house ---PERIOD

money was moved ahead of time....don't try that on the deathbed... it draws attention
    It helped that she put me in charge & trusted me..

But doing as much in advance as possible saves time/lawyers/money/grief... a long list

Plus - gives the benefit of knowing everything's Kosher

When I got sick a while back... I did a lot to prepare everything.
    Money is a separate tax free account... daughter in charge.... everybody knows the rules
    Yes - there's a LOT of trust involved....

My daughters - I told them -
    Fight/disagree all you want - but you can't use the $$ as a threat.... that continues regardless !!!

Fingers crossed - It's done

2. Likes El Rey de Mangu, dulce liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think an individual of a certain age or health should consider creating a "Living Will" and a "End of Life Plan". This will allow love ones to handle your health care needs and personal choices, i.e. DNRs and burials. Just to name a few.

4. Likes dulce, beachcomber liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup. Make sure to allow pics of me dead and how I died etc. Cremation and if it’s gonna be a huge expense bc of some weird legal reason just push me into a ditch and say you don’t know me.

6. Likes dulce, beachcomber liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, I thought I did until my dad died. Watched him suffer until the end. Took a toll on everyone mostly mom. I do not want to be a burden financially/emotionally or physically. That's hard to say I know but I am good. When it is my time, its my time. Papers are in order, so money, property is set.

8. Likes dulce, beachcomber liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keepcoming View Post
    I don't know, I thought I did until my dad died. Watched him suffer until the end. Took a toll on everyone mostly mom. I do not want to be a burden financially/emotionally or physically. That's hard to say I know but I am good. When it is my time, its my time. Papers are in order, so money, property is set.
    Had a good friend he was also on dr1, but don't remember his handle, Bob Watson was his name. We were walkig along the ocean one day about 4 years ago and came to a stream that dumped into the sea. Bob said he preferred to cross the foot bridge because he was kind of tired. Soi we did. We met three chicas on the bridge who followed us to where we sat on a piece of driftwood there in Pueblito. Bob was arranging something with one of the girls and I looked at him and saw his lips were blue. "You about ready to go, Bob?" I asked.
    "I ain't going anywhere more." He said and died on the spot. The girl tried to kiss him awake, but he was dead before we called the police and they put him on a beach lounger and took what was left to the hospital. That is how I want to go instead of lying with tubes up my nose and down my throat for weeks as my father and brother and sister all did.
    Der fish

10. Likes dulce, bienamor, beachcomber, keepcoming liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I love Azua View Post
    My wife wants to know if you can donate your body to one of the medical schools here in the DR?
    I was told. The medical students in the University opposite the free zone Zona Franca in Puerto Plata ... they keep several skeletons in the cupboard and are looking for more I wish to make inquiries.... if they would like my skeleton preferably after I'm dead fine... anyone who has connections to the university can follow up and advise the rest of us... Plan B Plan there's a small cemetery on the mountain behind Isabel de Torres which I'll organize a place if the University don't want my bones it's a Pity the dona cards don't work here as I'm told by doctor friends that they have no facilities to pass on any working bits to someone else because I quite like this idea....

12. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by judypdr View Post
    Actually, I've taken this very seriously having seen other families have to deal with loved ones who died in a foreign country. But since I have two incurable progressive diseases, I'm even more concerned about living poorly (on a ventalator or being force fed, etc.). I have had an attorney draw up an Advance Heathcare Directive about what I want (or mostly don't want). I named my daughter as my primary representative but since she is in the U.S., I've named a younger son of a good friend here as a backup representative. Both know and have in writing my preferences to not have any intervention other than medication for pain: no incubabation, no intraveneous or artificial feeding, no transfusions beyond a certain point or any other artificial method of extending my life.

In addition, I have prepaid Blandino (US$1,400) in Santo Domingo for the handling of my body and cremation after I die. The people at my condo only have to call them and all will be handled. My cremated remains will be returned (because they must do something with them) and I've asked that they be sprinkled near the burial site of my beloved Bichon Frise, Monet!

Hope this doesn't sound too morbid. I don't care what happens to my body but I don't want to burden anyone else with the decison(s).
    Judy, how long ago was that?

I was told by another person the charge was around 7K US for cremation. I had a hard time believing that.

When Diego Merte took his life, he had made arrangements for everything beforehand and left a note to his kid that told him what to do. He figured out the cheapest way to do it and had the whole process written out.

I think he was buried in a small cemetery in Puerto Plata.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

there are some Haitians in friusa that will burn you for 5mil and put a nice bow on top of the box....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Between my wife and I, we have 9 children and 30 grands! WOA! Yes it’s true. They all love to visit, but not one of them want our beach house after we are dead! Not one wants to transfer into their name now or ever. Not a one of them. I don’t get that but respect their thoughts. We are hoping maybe someday one of the 30 grands will step up. I have made arrangements to be cremated and a “after death party” planned. (Viking funeral). Anyway, neither one of us care what happens to this “great place on the beach” after we are gone. Who knows…maybe our worked will take it!!! LOL!!!

16. Likes dulce liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by botemon View Post
    Between my wife and I, we have 9 children and 30 grands! WOA! Yes it’s true. They all love to visit, but not one of them want our beach house after we are dead! Not one wants to transfer into their name now or ever. Not a one of them. I don’t get that but respect their thoughts. We are hoping maybe someday one of the 30 grands will step up. I have made arrangements to be cremated and a “after death party” planned. (Viking funeral). Anyway, neither one of us care what happens to this “great place on the beach” after we are gone. Who knows…maybe our worked will take it!!! LOL!!!
    I'll take the beach house if nobody else wants it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast