Does your family know of your wishes if you die in the DR?

D

dulce

For those of you who live in the DR.
Have you planned ahead how it should be handled if you die there?
Did you plan for it financially?
Have you discussed it with family?

E

El Rey de Mangu

I have gone over with my kids many times that they are to contact my family in the states on FB fast before my ex and her family get here to divvy up the assets for drinking money

D

Derfish

I never figured out why one would care what happens when they die unless hey live by the fantasy that they go off to Heaven somewhere.

D

Derfish

I never figured out why one would care what happens when they die unless hey live by the fantasy that they go off to Heaven somewhere.

Nor have I ever heard of a will that was actually followed. But those in our family never went to court etc....

M

Matilda

I am a member of a club in the campo. We each pay RD$50 when someone dies and that money - around RD$20,000 gets given to the family when someone dies. I would rather be cremated on our barbecue and scattered under the avocado tree, but cremation more expensive here than burial and it isn't allowed to cremate me on the barbecue and I couldn't be scattered as it isn't allowed, so I don't really mind - whatever costs less and upsets the community less!

Matilda

W

windeguy

Nope. They can do what they want after I am dead.

S

snowqueen

I've gone into details with all my friends and family. My ashes will be divided to 3 people for disposal in my 3 favorite places in 3 countries.. They all know their responsibilities.

D

Derfish

In Panama I signed up with Hospital Santo Tomas and my body was theirs for research or whatever when I died, meanwhile I got medical care from anything Santo Tomas did for $30.00 per month. But I stole my corpse and brought it here. Is there something like that here I don't know about?
Derfish

J

janlindy

I hope my family finds out I'm dead 20 years after it happened.

E

El Rey de Mangu

I've gone into details with all my friends and family. My ashes will be divided to 3 people for disposal in my 3 favorite places in 3 countries.. They all know their responsibilities.

Of course you reimbursed them in advance for this massive lack of consideration

L

lifeisgreat

Told them ...to bury me upside down...so the world can kiss my a$$...

J

judypdr

Actually, I've taken this very seriously having seen other families have to deal with loved ones who died in a foreign country. But since I have two incurable progressive diseases, I'm even more concerned about living poorly (on a ventalator or being force fed, etc.). I have had an attorney draw up an Advance Heathcare Directive about what I want (or mostly don't want). I named my daughter as my primary representative but since she is in the U.S., I've named a younger son of a good friend here as a backup representative. Both know and have in writing my preferences to not have any intervention other than medication for pain: no incubabation, no intraveneous or artificial feeding, no transfusions beyond a certain point or any other artificial method of extending my life.

In addition, I have prepaid Blandino (US$1,400) in Santo Domingo for the handling of my body and cremation after I die. The people at my condo only have to call them and all will be handled. My cremated remains will be returned (because they must do something with them) and I've asked that they be sprinkled near the burial site of my beloved Bichon Frise, Monet!

Hope this doesn't sound too morbid. I don't care what happens to my body but I don't want to burden anyone else with the decison(s).

F

franco1111

As much as I don't want to, I think I have to have the lawyer administer what happens. That Advance Care Directive you talk about is important too. Can you imagine the conversation at the hospital if you don't have it? Even with it, things probably work different here. Jjj. Y el cuerpo?

I

I love Azua

My wife wants to know if you can donate your body to one of the medical schools here in the DR?

I

irishpaddy

I think no matter where you live a will is very important and saves a lot of headaches for those left behind ….divide whatever way you see fit and leave any instructions that you may have .

J

judypdr

My wife wants to know if you can donate your body to one of the medical schools here in the DR?

My mom did this in the U.S. The entire process was very easy. All I had to dineas call the local funeral home and mention the arrangement made in advance. There was virtually no cost to our family. We were offered an option to have her cremated remains returned after a year, but I opted out if that.

W

william webster

As judypdr says.... it IS a serious subject.

As a person who moves around a bit between countries , my family knows what to do.
Her - Rep Dom - I have become a citizen to make the process a bit easier.

In Canada you sign your driver license for organ donations.... I choose to keep my eyes...

I have been thru the DNR process w/ my mother.... Do Not Resuscitate
It's not quite as simple as you think... the hospital asks a lot of questions about interpretation.

Pain - yes
Hydrate her - yes
Food.. put it in front of her... if she eats fine, if not - take it away

Basically, nothing artificial... nothing beyond pain management

It seemed odd at the time that asked all that... but then I understood.

Once they understand that route.. I'm pretty sure the pain meds get stronger every day....until the end.

In theory, less financial strain on the system.

and the 'Pay in Advance' idea works.... I was all paid upu for her
They pick up at the hospital.. do all the paperwork.. cremate and you're done

In actual fact, I wasn't there on the exact moment of her death
I had a moving van in front of my house in PHL...
But I got up to arrange things and see she was comfortable

She was not coherent/awake.... no knowledge of the goings on

D

Derfish

I think no matter where you live a will is very important and saves a lot of headaches for those left behind ….divide whatever way you see fit and leave any instructions that you may have .

If you have enuff money to involve a court of law. I have seen informal wills that the left people paid no attention to.
Derfish