Shipping back to US from Punta Cana

T

Tonchi

I was given a quote of $50 to ship a router back to the US from the Punta Cana area.

The router has a prepaid UPS label once it gets there. Any ideas??

I don't have any American friends returning now.

W

windeguy

The cheapest way to do it is INPOSDOM, the Dominican Mail service. That is from my own person experience sending a piece of errant electronics back for warranty work.

W

Waitman

I'm going to California August 1, but i'm in Santo Domingo.

C

Cdn_Gringo

The cheapest way is to find someone flying to the USA, ask them to take the prepaid box back with them and drop it off at the post office when they get a chance.

I did this once with a plumbing part that needed to go back to Amazon. I left the envelope open so the person/customs could verify what was inside. If you start looking early enough, you should be successful in finding someone willing to help you out. Lots of expats here on DR1 know how expensive it is to get stuff off the island.

DR postal system may work, but can take longer than the allowed return period and there are never any guarantees that your item will get to where it is supposed to.

W

william webster

In country... MetroPac.. Caribe Tours... guagua....
numerous options PC to SD

W

windeguy

The cheapest way is to find someone flying to the USA, ask them to take the prepaid box back with them and drop it off at the post office when they get a chance.

I did this once with a plumbing part that needed to go back to Amazon. I left the envelope open so the person/customs could verify what was inside. If you start looking early enough, you should be successful in finding someone willing to help you out. Lots of expats here on DR1 know how expensive it is to get stuff off the island.

DR postal system may work, but can take longer than the allowed return period and there are never any guarantees that your item will get to where it is supposed to.

I paid for INPOSDOM to track the package with insurance and had a regular USPS tracking number. I would never import something of any value or importance using INPOSDOM.

D

Derfish

The cheapest way to do it is INPOSDOM, the Dominican Mail service. That is from my own person experience sending a piece of errant electronics back for warranty work.

Did it ever arrive? Derfish

W

william webster

many success stories using the local mail service.... lots

C

Cdn_Gringo

Let's see if we can't clarify the INPOSDUM conundrum a bit more.

For those that have used (and hopefully some that frequently use) the DR postal service to send items (not letters/postcards) abroad, please tell us if the item(s) arrived at their final destination, approx. how long it took, and what service level (registered, insured etc) was used.

When was the last time an item was shipped and either did not arrive at all or was delivered after a substantial delay?

E

Expat-in-Cabarete

IMPOSDOM for packages uses EMS, which is a package service that several Latin American post offices use. I have used it (many years ago) to send packages from Peru (to SpainO) and then from here in Sosua (to the US). It's not a speedy service, but everything I sent arrived in a couple of weeks. It isn't particularly cheap. https://www.ems.post/en/global-network/ems-operators

R

Riva_31

I did the same returning a Cellphone to USA, that was the cheapest way to do it.

W

william webster

The Gringo seems to want proof positive..... cost- hours/days of transit, etc

Neither the US or Canadian systems offer such info..... but.....
Neither guarantee without special postage/instructions.... above & beyond 'normal' mail service

R

Riva_31

The Gringo seems to want proof positive..... cost- hours/days of transit, etc

Neither the US or Canadian systems offer such info..... but.....
Neither guarantee without special postage/instructions.... above & beyond 'normal' mail service

If you want a tracking number thats the only service they offer that provide one, my parcel arrived in arround 10 days.

W

william webster

I agree - we have heard it here before ( some are incredulous).... the system works.... going out

Coming in ? not so good !!
although I get my mail!!

J

janlindy

is there an EMS on the NC??? I need to send a 3 lb box from here to Florida.

L

leon486

I ship to the US using INPOSDOM on occasion, I mostly use “correo certificado” or if it’s too heavy “encomienda postal”.
For correo cerrificado you just need a tiny form detailing the box contents and value. For encomienda you need a larger form with more info.

They both take about two weeks to arrive. Sometimes they are delivered in 5 days others in about 25 days.

If the item you’re sending is of high value or you want it there faster, use EMS (another inposdom service) they guarantee 5 day delivery and is generally more secure (but more expensive)

On a side note, none of those services are allowing the shipping of any kind of cellphones. I tried to ship one to canada some days ago and was told it’s not allowed. So if you’re shipping expensive electronics they might turn you down. If that’s the case I suggest you go to UPS. They’ll charge you 70usd and up, but the item will be there in 2-3 days.

Lastly, I don’t suggest shipping anything INTO the DR without a courier, as things seldomly arrive. Shipping out using INPOSDOM is fine. Shipping in not so much.

K

Keyrez

It's exactly as Leon486 stated INPOSDOM is a good way to ship something but NEVER and i mean NEVER use to it receive anything unless you want to wait months to receive it, if ever. Another option you can use are couriers like vimenpaq or bmcargo.