Group of winelovers

F

Fulano2

Does anyone know if there is a “groupe d'amoureux du vin” , or grupo or club de aficionados de vino in Santo Domingo or Santiago?

N

NALs

The major wine stores, such as El Catador or Cava Alta, usually held wine tasting tours and interesting things about wine. They have a huge selection to choose from with wine from around the world. Many brands you haven’t even heard from. I think wine is still a developing industry, so they run the gamut from the basics to everything else in teaching people how to drink that.

There is one El Catador store on Tiradentes (on the same block that is the huge blue office building) and another one on the Brean Peña St (very near avenida Churchill). Cava Alta is on Augustin Lara St with the many date palms in front. I don’t know how anyone can miss that store since it’s the nicest building on that street.

There are other places in the city too.

There is one winery in the whole country (I think its the only winery in the Caribbean) and is near Palmar de Ocoa in Peravia province. They too held wine tasting tours, checking out their winery, and have a very nice visitor center.

F

Fulano2

Yes thanks very much.
What I really mean is clubs, like we have here in Europe where they buy collectively, a friend of mine is a wine-dealer and direct importer with stunning french wines. That’s why I ask.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Yes thanks very much.
What I really mean is clubs, like we have here in Europe where they buy collectively, a friend of mine is a wine-dealer and direct importer with stunning french wines. That’s why I ask.

I have a group of upper-echalon pals here, we do tasting parties of Gallo mixed with Brugal blanco, also stunning.

W

william webster

Gallo.....
Never drink a wine before it’s time

W

william webster

The DR vineyard..... is the oldest in the Caribbean, started by the Spaniards

When you buy there, you get a piece of the vineyard , and wine!,

They get two yields a year thanks to the weather

So I’ve been told..... by the fellow selling land/lots

F

Fulano2

In Bahia Principe RSJ their all-in red is from dominican soil.

D

DR_Guy

Time to start your own DR1 wine club and we will all join in.....

N

NALs

The DR vineyard..... is the oldest in the Caribbean, started by the Spaniards

When you buy there, you get a piece of the vineyard , and wine!,

They get two yields a year thanks to the weather

So I’ve been told..... by the fellow selling land/lots
There are no wineries from colonial times in any of the islands. It is true that the Spaniards produced the first winery and wine somewhere in the Bay of Ocoa, but that turn to dust a long time ago. What exists now was started quite recently.

Another thing is that in Palmar de Ocoa there used to be a special palm forest. Right now there is not much in terms of palms, but as recent as the 1820’s Mr McKenzie went all over the island and in his book he talks of the palm forest that he found in Palmar de Ocoa and how those trees look so different from any tree he saw on the island. He doesn’t go into details of the type of trees they were or what they look like except the description I already gave. The name has remained in the area. Now its a semi-desert of sort, with many scrubs growing there.

Around Azua valley is where the Spanish also created most of the sugar on the island in the 1500’s. Something tells me that the semi-desert that exist in that area was created by man. There are some places of the island that have always been a semi-desert, such as in much of Pedernales. In fact, in Spain you will see scrubs that were actually introduced from Hispaniola by Columbus himself. They are now acclimatized to the dry areas of Spain, which is a major chunk of that country. The Platforms in Haiti has always been a dry area too. That peninsula which Columbus named San Nicolás looks a lot like much of Spain. Its the first place that Columbus saw of the island and the reason he named it La Española (The Spanish Island). Things changed a lot a little further east where the island doesn’t look like Spain at all.

Last edited:
W

william webster

Yes - excuse me - I didn't mean to imply the same vines were producing...
just that the oldest vineyard in the New World is here - in Rep Dom

Similarly, the oldest lighthouse isn't functioning too well today (or any other day !)

The Church seems to be fine....

I just thought idea of wine in those days was interesting.

If you look at wine specs, you'll see the southernmost latitude is about Pto Plata - for viability

Just another trivia point for people like me - promoting the DR
in these days of DR bashing

F

Fulano2

Is the Paul Masson the wine they sell in carafe style bottles? I had it once. Very interesting.