You don't always get what you expected

B

Beachboy

I have not been happy with the TV channel selections offered by my local cable/satellite companies, mainly with the limited English language options, unfortunately my grasp of Spanish language is not great. Well, to be perfectly truthful it’s bad. I decided to increase my internet bandwidth to create more opportunities to receive online/streaming programming.

My DR location is Bavaro, to be precise Cocotal. We have for the last several years used Sky which does allow more English/Spanish language choices by a mere remote-control button. We subscribed to a package including “American” movie channels/2000+ DOP per month. However, that can be frustrating as the repeat program factor is high especially for movies.

A year ago, I purchased (from Amazon, approx. $150) a Nvidia Shield TV box for my principal large, smart TV. It took me a while to get into programming with Kodi (no limits build) Cinema HD, Terrarium, You Tube, Netflix, IP Vanish, etc, etc. We have been well satisfied with unlimited international programming, music etc. This TV box allows me 100% control on my choices. We then cancelled our Sky TV service

Last month we purchased a new Amazon Firestick (from Amazon $29) for the bedroom TV. Although it works well, and programming was easy (although not extensive as the shield due to small hard drive capacity) My options appear to be somewhat limited by Amazon what I can do and what I cannot. About 1/4 of its memory is taken up with Amazon programming that I don’t want or cannot delete, would you believe (even though I am not in USA, my internet provider is not in USA (Claro) I have closed off all Amazon tracking apps on firestick, when I downloaded ES File, Downloader, Filelinked Apps (for downloading popular viewing apps) Amazon sent me (via email) a payment invoice (although it was zero dollars) for my download of those 3 apps. To make it worse when I was on YouTube, I pressed the speaker button to ask for U2 music, Alexa came on saying although I can access music free for 30 days I would then be billed automatically for Prime Music. Hello, I was on YouTube

So, do I own this device or does Amazon? Being in DR, with DR internet provider, what the hell business is it to do with Amazon what I am accessing or loading onto the Firestick that I thought I owned. Bottom line dear DR1’ers, if you value your privacy, or expect freedom of choice, don’t opt for this product by Amazon. Cus you ain’t in charge.

E

El Rey de Mangu

I have not been happy with the TV channel selections offered by my local cable/satellite companies, mainly with the limited English language options, unfortunately my grasp of Spanish language is not great. Well, to be perfectly truthful it’s bad. I decided to increase my internet bandwidth to create more opportunities to receive online/streaming programming.

My DR location is Bavaro, to be precise Cocotal. We have for the last several years used Sky which does allow more English/Spanish language choices by a mere remote-control button. We subscribed to a package including “American” movie channels/2000+ DOP per month. However, that can be frustrating as the repeat program factor is high especially for movies.

A year ago, I purchased (from Amazon, approx. $150) a Nvidia Shield TV box for my principal large, smart TV. It took me a while to get into programming with Kodi (no limits build) Cinema HD, Terrarium, You Tube, Netflix, IP Vanish, etc, etc. We have been well satisfied with unlimited international programming, music etc. This TV box allows me 100% control on my choices. We then cancelled our Sky TV service

Last month we purchased a new Amazon Firestick (from Amazon $29) for the bedroom TV. Although it works well, and programming was easy (although not extensive as the shield due to small hard drive capacity) My options appear to be somewhat limited by Amazon what I can do and what I cannot. About 1/4 of its memory is taken up with Amazon programming that I don’t want or cannot delete, would you believe (even though I am not in USA, my internet provider is not in USA (Claro) I have closed off all Amazon tracking apps on firestick, when I downloaded ES File, Downloader, Filelinked Apps (for downloading popular viewing apps) Amazon sent me (via email) a payment invoice (although it was zero dollars) for my download of those 3 apps. To make it worse when I was on YouTube, I pressed the speaker button to ask for U2 music, Alexa came on saying although I can access music free for 30 days I would then be billed automatically for Prime Music. Hello, I was on YouTube

So, do I own this device or does Amazon? Being in DR, with DR internet provider, what the hell business is it to do with Amazon what I am accessing or loading onto the Firestick that I thought I owned. Bottom line dear DR1’ers, if you value your privacy, or expect freedom of choice, don’t opt for this product by Amazon. Cus you ain’t in charge.

rich people problems

L

LTSteve

So basically you want the benefits of streaming services but because you live in the DR you feel you shouldn't pay for it? The firestick is just the hardware to allows you to access the Amazon and other streaming services programming. It's not free and never was intended to be.

C

Cdn_Gringo

First off, privacy. If you want privacy online, you really need to work to achieve that. Everything you do is tracked and in many instances the ability to track your personal info/data is what unlocks the content you are looking to access. Ie., if you block all of Amazon's cookies/trackers, you won't be able to access their content. It's just that simple. If your privacy is a concern, then you shouldn't be using google, Amazon, youtube, Facebook, twitter, instagram, linkedin etc. Both google and FB own many of the popular content/social media sites so they get you coming and going.

There are apps that can feed these sites fake data but if you obfuscate your real IP then you won't receive the content. Some VPNs work with these services, some do not.

Before you can modify the content on your firetv, you need to unlock it just like with your cellphone. Google "unlock firetv".

Unless you present a USA based IP address to Amazon/Youtube, you will find that a lot of the content is blocked from being viewed/heard in other countries due to copyright agreements. If you wish this content to be directly accessible you are going to need a VPN to provide that IP address. To use a VPN in this way for all of your devices, chances are that you will also need a new router that has the ability to use a VPN directly, or at the very least reflash your current router with firmware that can accomplish this - DD-WRT or Tomato

Ask your ISP if they have an option to assign you a US based IP address. My cable company has just such an option for those of us who want to access streaming content directly from content providers without needing Kodi and other such programs.

Hanging on to your personal data, accessing copyrighted content and circumventing restrictions placed on you by the sites you visit, isn't necessarily easy and straightforward by design. Most people can't be bothered and just roll with the practices of "big data" because it's easier than fighting it. Most don't complain to regulators or oversight agencies so the hassles grow in scope and become more and more intrusive over time.

DR1 uses google to track you. If you don't want this or any other site doing that, you need to actively take steps to stop it. Now if DR1 ever decided to restrict access to their content from users that don't cough up enough tacking data, then the user will need to make a choice regarding how important the content is to them.

The primary premise of your grievances seems to stem from an unrealistic expectation that Amazon who makes money by offering steaming content and selling hardware to access that content should also make it easy for you to do so without the right hardware, geolocated IP address and without subscribing to the prime plan that unlocks all that content. Good luck

J

JDJones

Most of the folks I know buy a Infomir Mag 254 Full Hd Iptv Box or something similar on Amazon then pay 10-15 dollars a month to a reseller for subscriptions that give you thousands of channels from all over the world.

They use a VPN like www.hide-me com or something similar for privacy.

C

chico bill

Why not just get a laptop, a TV that streams from the laptop and install a VPN.
No Kodi to download. Then you can watch Amazon Prime, Netflix, You Tube and many other services that you subscribe to.

Seems you are spending too much effort to see movies or listen to music

J

jstarebel

You need to watch this video.. https://www.google.com/search?q=how....18796j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

After jail breaking, install "Downloader" and download Mobdro. You will have streaming cable TV and a lot more. BEE TV is also a good source.

Now to all of those who wish to say; "That's Stealing", I will respond with the fact that Most of the services you pay for on firestick are not available outside of the USA. Also, Downloading APK's is not illegal even in the USA. You are simply adding streaming services available from other countries. We use firestick to get TV on the boat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRkmTeBnEaY

Last.. You can fool Firestick into thinking you are in the US, but it requires you jailbreak your Internet device and install a VPN. Doing this is also how you keep your internet activities private..

ankit

Sep 13, 2019
I have been using amazon firestick for last 4 years and i didn't face any problem yet.