Legally of age

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Derfish

Chatting with a friend who has girl friend problems. She is 17 and is a mother of a 2 year old boy. He seems to think that being a mother in and of itself makes her of legal age to share his bed. I never heard of this, though it does make kind of sense. So is she still a minor? Or not?
Derfish

D

DR_Guy

According to the law she would be a minor. But at the end of the day it would depend on the family. However a gringo bedding with a minor is a sure fire way to be extorted or go to jail. Just ask the general from Cibao. Plenty of hot 18 year olds around. Why mess with fire?

E

El Rey de Mangu

But at the end of the day it would depend on the family.

Sorry DR guy. In the DR you have an organization that protects the rights of adolescents known as the CONANI (consorcio niños, niñas y adolescentes). And there is NO option for the family to approve a minor shacking up with an adult gringo or Dominican. If the family won't protect the minor, then the CONANI and the Fiscalia (NNA) surely will step in.

C

Chirimoya

As the law stands, parents/guardians can give consent for minor (under 18) to cohabit/marry as long as the age difference is not greater than five years.

F

Fulano2

I really don't understand what a 30, or 40+ foreigner would expect from a relation with a 17 years old. Perverted.

E

El Rey de Mangu

As the law stands, parents/guardians can give consent for minor (under 18) to cohabit/marry as long as the age difference is not greater than five years.

I think you left out some clauses. Can you cite the complete statute? Or are you citing from memory

E

El Rey de Mangu

I did read something about a notarized consent form, so it appears I was not correct.

B

bob saunders

Sorry DR guy. In the DR you have an organization that protects the rights of adolescents known as the CONANI (consorcio niños, niñas y adolescentes). And there is NO option for the family to approve a minor shacking up with an adult gringo or Dominican. If the family won't protect the minor, then the CONANI and the Fiscalia (NNA) surely will step in.

In reality the chances of CONANI stepping in to protect a 17 year old teenager with a 2 year old child from a non-abusive relationship is highly unlikely unless the family requests help. You can't physically look at a 17 year old and tell they're not 18. Hell lots of 15 year old girls look 18 or 19. Guy should be looking for an older girl friend.

E

El Rey de Mangu

In reality the chances of CONANI stepping in to protect a 17 year old teenager with a 2 year old child from a non-abusive relationship is highly unlikely unless the family requests help. You can't physically look at a 17 year old and tell they're not 18. Hell lots of 15 year old girls look 18 or 19. Guy should be looking for an older girl friend or bidding his time until she is 18.

as a parent of 2 girls, I find it appalling that anyone would be making cases for minors to marry anyway. The whole point of the term minor is that you need certain levels of protection under the law as they are not able to make informed decisions, but many are emotionally charged at those ages.

I do not agree with any of that. Just an opinion.

B

bob saunders

as a parent of 2 girls, I find it appalling that anyone would be making cases for minors to marry anyway. The whole point of the term minor is that you need certain levels of protection under the law as they are not able to make informed decisions, but many are emotionally charged at those ages.

I do not agree with any of that. Just an opinion.

I don't disagree with at all, and in fact support your opinion, but the reality is many Dominican girls are physically women regardless of their immaturity mentally.

C

chico bill

I don't disagree with at all, and in fact support your opinion, but the reality is many Dominican girls are physically women regardless of their immaturity mentally.

Heck many older women (Not just Dominican, but they have a high percentage) are very immature at 35 ! Remember the Minnie Mouse cell stretchy phone covers, and watch them with the selfies. Happens everywhere but here more so.

C

Cdn_Gringo

One's sense of right and wrong is ingrained in children as they mature to adulthood. Family and societal values are generally a constant and are supposed to be a baseline for one to determine if behavior is appropriate and acceptable within a society.

If physical relationships with a minor is taboo where you originate from, it should remain taboo and in most cases feels wrong for your entire life regardless of what country you happen to be in at any given time.

No adult that has been raised properly and socialized in a society that criminalizes sex with minors should ever have to wonder if that activity is acceptable. It doesn't matter how mature the minor looks, behaves or how willing a partner the minor seems to be, based on one's ingrained sense of morality, the decision or course of action is clear. Changing/ignoring a moral or ethical position isn't something that is supposed to happen in adults for the sake of convenience or personal gratification regardless of the environment.

Some people it appears can justify anything in their own minds when they want to and are willing to defer considering how others will react should their deviations from the norm come to light. Being a member of a society or the group used to be key to one's survival and a cornerstone of mental contentment. Now-a-days, with the development of circumstances where the concept of the individual has superseded the importance of the group, it has become easier to be antisocial, despite the knowledge that the behavior is not condoned by the majority. "Play now, pay later."

Clearly Derfish's friend, should not be allowed anywhere near post pubescent girls if enlightened morality is applied.

D

Derfish

No he is a full 65 years old. In Florida USa there was emancipation where I knew a young girl of 15 when my daughter was 15 who had papers of emancipation. Stating supposedly that she was a full adult. She was pregnant at the time and her parents had basically thrown her away. But all it really meant to her was she could buy cigarettes legally by showing her paper.
Derfish

C

Chirimoya

I think you left out some clauses. Can you cite the complete statute? Or are you citing from memory

Correction, this is a reference to article 142 of the new Civil Code bill which has not yet approved - it includes the following two paragraphs:
I.- Minors who have reached sixteen years of age may marry with the authorization of the father, mother or guardian and the dispensation of the judge of the Court for Children and Adolescents. II: When the marriage is between a minor and an adult, the age difference shall not exceed five years.

Campaigners are pushing for these exceptions to be removed so that child marriage/early unions are banned under all circumstances.

The current law allows child marriage for girls under the age of 15 with no other requirement except judicial dispensation, and for girls over the age of 15 with parental consent, even with adult men who are five or more years older than them. Source: Unicef

M

Mauricio

Derfish, if I remember well you are well over 60. Do you just have very young friends or are you asking this for a pervert friend?

D

Derfish

Derfish, if I remember well you are well over 60. Do you just have very young friends or are you asking this for a pervert friend?

Ronnie, whom I know, is trying to convince me that his relationship with the girl mentioned is OK. I am sure it is not, but his ideas do make some sense. When this girl was 9 years old I fed her and her two brothers for 90 days when their mother returned to Haiti lookig for their father. Now sahe is 90 days shy of 18 and is cooking and cleaning for Ron.
Derfish

E

El Rey de Mangu

Ronnie, whom I know, is trying to convince me that his relationship with the girl mentioned is OK. I am sure it is not, but his ideas do make some sense. When this girl was 9 years old I fed her and her two brothers for 90 days when their mother returned to Haiti lookig for their father. Now sahe is 90 days shy of 18 and is cooking and cleaning for Ron.
Derfish

"Hittin' the maid ain't uncommon. Once ya hit the maid though, ya gotta get out." -unknown guy from Boca Chica, now deceased [that is, if the maid is not a minor]

M

mobrouser

......If physical relationships with a minor is taboo where you originate from, it should remain taboo and in most cases feels wrong for your entire life regardless of what country you happen to be in at any given time...

That may be true but it ignores the fact that legal age of consent in many countries is 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.