Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 228
  1. #171
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ok, enough.

    Let’s get back to the subject which is ex-pat fatigue.
    Super Moderator DR1.com

  2. Likes bienamor liked this post
  3. #172
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Ooh La La, USN View Post
    I dont know if it is the actual landmass or the absurd idiosyncratic behaviors of the people that burn you out. I am declaring the latter bcause the climate and geography is roughly the same in South Florida or Gulfcoast Alabama(even though those people can be loco as well in their own right).

    Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk
    Yes. I travel to Savannah Ga. twice a month for business and the weather there for at least 4 months of the year is about the same temps and humidity as the Capital. Sometimes, hotter and more humid in Savannah.

  4. #173
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,600
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    A citizen of El Salvador that lives there needs to buy at least two airplane tickets to reach the DR. There are no direct flights to El Salvador or any country in Central America except Costa Rica and Panama. That eliminates most people.

    Everyone know of Salvadoran gangs such as the Mara and how they infested El Salvador from the native California. Before and right after the civil war that was a peaceful country. Then in the 90's Bill Clinton sign into law that foreign born criminals would be deported after spending time in a US prison. It was downhill from there in many countries in Latin America, El Salvador being among the hardest hit. This is what happens to a country that has a weak government and isn't ready for the mass deportation of criminals. They learn their trade in the streets of LA and in American prison, then basically took over by force El Salvador at the will of Bill Clinton.
    According some of the older folks I've spoken with down here in
    different parts of the country.. The Dominicans folks deported from
    New York did the same thing with regards to the spread of hard drugs
    like crack across the island.

  5. #174
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,600
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    Yes. I travel to Savannah Ga. twice a month for business and the weather there for at least 4 months of the year is about the same temps and humidity as the Capital. Sometimes, hotter and more humid in Savannah.
    Indeed Savannah is humid. Feels a lot like New Orleans.
    I think DR less humid than both those cities. Certainly less
    humid than South East Asia.

  6. #175
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    One thing that can get under an ex-pat's skin is the "I'm so important I can stop and block traffic anywhere to chat."
    Happened to me in Jumbo today.
    A young woman blocked all traffic trying to leave and a couple others wanting to back out of their parking spaces while she chatted with a friend.
    She could have easily pulled into an open spot just 3 spaces ahead and carried on her conversation, but they just stayed there with horns honking until a Dominican man got out of his car (he wanted to back out) and walked up to her Kia Sorento waving his arms and shouting.
    Only then did the friends share a slow hug through the SUV's window and the woman drove very deliberately and slowly away as if to say:
    "I'm a VIP - everyone else is of little importance".
    By the way I have seen them do the same in blocking an ambulance trying to leave Charamicos

  7. Likes Big, drstock, monfongo, Garyexpat liked this post
  8. #176
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    36,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    One thing that can get under an ex-pat's skin is the "I'm so important I can stop and block traffic anywhere to chat."
    Happened to me in Jumbo today.
    A young woman blocked all traffic trying to leave and a couple others wanting to back out of their parking spaces while she chatted with a friend.
    She could have easily pulled into an open spot just 3 spaces ahead and carried on her conversation, but they just stayed there with horns honking until a Dominican man got out of his car (he wanted to back out) and walked up to her Kia Sorento waving his arms and shouting.
    Only then did the friends share a slow hug through the SUV's window and the woman drove very deliberately and slowly away as if to say:
    "I'm a VIP - everyone else is of little importance".
    By the way I have seen them do the same in blocking an ambulance trying to leave Charamicos
    I get torqued with those who insist on backing into a parking spot, blocking all traffic until they finish the move.

    Then, with a cart of goods, they have to nose the vehicle out of the space, stop it, so they can load the cart into the trunk.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  9. #177
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    I get torqued with those who insist on backing into a parking spot, blocking all traffic until they finish the move.

    Then, with a cart of goods, they have to nose the vehicle out of the space, stop it, so they can load the cart into the trunk.
    Actually, I am one of those who prefer to back into a spot. It takes an additional 20 seconds, if that. It makes for a safer exit, as you can clearly see where you are going. Now, I do leave space in the rear for loading the trunk.

  10. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
  11. #178
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,000
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've sure got it -- FATIGUE

    I am ready for a launch outta here..... WHEW!!!

    short tempered, bored.... the full list

    Surprising what can tick you when in this state -
    Not always other people..... your own life becomes a p!ssoff

  12. #179
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    36,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I've sure got it -- FATIGUE

    I am ready for a launch outta here..... WHEW!!!

    short tempered, bored.... the full list

    Surprising what can tick you when in this state -
    Not always other people..... your own life becomes a p!ssoff
    You need a motersickel.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  13. Likes Ecoman1949 liked this post
  14. #180
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,434
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    You need a motersickel.
    Excellent suggestion. Stick a side car on one of your bikes and take Bill for ride. It will clear his head, give him a new perspective on the DR and relieve his fatigue. On the other hand, it might drive him over the edge, pardon the pun. Either way, his fatigue is not a problem anymore. Lol! Just back from a very relaxing five day motorcycle trip on some beautiful back roads. Large number of US citizens visiting Gander to thank the citizens for taking care of them during their unplanned aircraft stopovers during 9-11. A piece of one of the Trade Towers structural steel was presented to Gander airport last summer. Members of the Blue Knights Law Enforcement motorcycle club escorted the piece from New York to Gander, Newfoundland. I’ve been a member for 20 years. It was a pleasure to meet US enforcement colleagues and join them in the escort.
    Last edited by Ecoman1949; 09-05-2019 at 07:22 AM.

  15. Likes cobraboy liked this post
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •