• Thread starter william webster
  • Start date

Ex-Pat Fatigue Syndrome

W

william webster

Should I post this in Residents.... or here
it may apply to some long term visitors........

https://www.expatfocus.com/c/aid=52...s-expat-fatigue-and-how-can-you-deal-with-it/

If you have ever felt irritable/short tempered... listless....out of touch.... itchy to do something other than what you're doing

This may be the reason.

It happens to me... in fact I'm in a funk now...
but I'm outta here in 2 weeks

Interesting thought... I found

affects some - not all....

W

william webster

I broached this subject last night - with a Dominican.
Said I was frustrated and needed a break from this life

The response ??
How do you think we feel??
But we can't leave !!!

True be that......
I often say - they're trapped....
so - they drink, are promiscuous... quite a list

Many have no TV - no Internet....

they see & know the 'other world'... but it's out of reach....unattainable

A

AlterEgo

I’ve said it before......I can’t take over 3 months at a time, or I start climbing the walls. I think I’d feel differently if we lived in Santo Domingo and just came out to the beach occasionally

B

bigbird

Lost my rose colored glasses quite awhile ago. La Rep Dom is NOT Paradise but has it's paradise moments. I have had a few moments I was ready to walk at any given second. I am a resident but not really a full time resident. I stay until I get the bug and back to my house in Jersey USA I go.

When I got my first apartment in la rep dom I was all set to sell my USA home and live happily ever after in the DR. Whoa am I glad I never did that. I need that security blanket where I can get out at any given moment. Rest up stateside and come back refreshed.

I think I would be miserable if I had to live full, full time in la rep dom with no backup funds for a one way ticket out.

F

Fulano2

I understand you 100%. Life is boring in the DR, unless you like humid heat, loud music with the same rythm, the chicas, beach.... not for me. Two or three weeks and I long for a fresh night walk, museum...

B

bigbird

I’ve said it before......I can’t take over 3 months at a time, or I start climbing the walls. I think I’d feel differently if we lived in Santo Domingo and just came out to the beach occasionally

Santo Domingo is my spot. The north coast or out in the campo somewhere I would have jumped off a bridge a long time ago.

B

bigbird

I understand you 100%. Life is boring in the DR, unless you like humid heat, loud music with the same rythm, the chicas, beach.... not for me. Two or three weeks and I long for a fresh night walk, museum...

All depends on where you are at. I am in SD Centro and loud music and se fue la luz are not part of my life. I prefer the city life to sand between my toes everyday and sipping Presidente at the same watering hole.

L

lifeisgreat

1-3 months fantastic, 3-5months everything is good , 6 months everything is peachy,7 months islandites syndrome sets in must leave soon, 1yr stfu and leave me alone or I’m going to put this pencil where the sun don’t shine! Hence why I’m snowbird category in and out 3-4 times a yr ...don’t want to give someone lead poisoning accidentally ;)

W

william webster

hahaha... no accident that pencil.... you're kidding yourself !!

Yup BBird... we all know the benefits of the escape hatch

I had 2 until last October... Lake Huron and PHL....down to PHL only now
I'm re-adjusting... slowly.

Off to the UK to visit that daughter... other in NYC
New car in the garage in PHL to make me smile...

I said it when I sold... but haven't executed well yet - I'll just travel more
One idea I had was to cruise to England... not so bad - 1 way about $2300-2400
bed & board for that - 7-8 days...

New car will inspire road trips....hopefully

I know I'm in trouble when the driving habits make me scream..... and I'm screaming now
If i has a battering ram.....

I know I'm not alone in it.... look at the quick responses here..

My wife gags at about 3 weeks.... I can do more.... but there is a limit !!!!

hahaha

L

lifeisgreat

Just remember William , a good friend will always keeps a shovel in the trunk of his car for you :)

L

lifeisgreat

Great topic...we all are here for different reasons and enjoy different things...

W

william webster

Formerly - my routine was to to Canada and open the lake house - May 1
I stayed until end of June....

Back here until mid-August then Canada again thru October... finishing in PHL to park the car for the winter

That Sept / Oct stretch always left me restless -
enough that I came back to RD for a week/10 days in September

This year - I am seeing plants bloom on my property that I didn't know flowered...
never seen a spring here !!

So - I am off kilter - out of my space - call it what you will

I'm happy to learn it's a known problem.... from the article I posted

W

william webster

Just change the scenery Fish.... channel up/down....

D

Derfish

Nope, it is faster horses, younger wymmen, older whisley and more money! Tom T Hall said so!

G

Garyexpat

I don't suffer from the syndrome myself. This month is 13 years living in the D.R. full time. I do go to the states, mostly to see mom, here now but when bored in Santiago I either head to the capital to see my son and family, up to the mountains for a bit of coolness or up to the beach. My other option is a drive to some other spot of the country (except for out east).
I have however been spending a fair amount of time in Colombia and am 95% sure I will keep my place in Santiago but rent a place 6 months out of the year (not the rainy season) in Medellin.
Every place I have ever lived has it's pros and cons, as long as the pros out way the cons, i am generally good and the DR pros still out way the cons for me.

L

lifeisgreat

Formerly - my routine was to to Canada and open the lake house - May 1
I stayed until end of June....

Back here until mid-August then Canada again thru October... finishing in PHL to park the car for the winter

That Sept / Oct stretch always left me restless -
enough that I came back to RD for a week/10 days in September

This year - I am seeing plants bloom on my property that I didn't know flowered...
never seen a spring here !!

So - I am off kilter - out of my space - call it what you will

I'm happy to learn it's a known problem.... from the article I posted
Your missing the best weather at lake house July and Aug.. in muskoka it’s black flies may-June at least no dengue