Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

That works Gary - floating around ---

I do it... SD, LT ,STI... a night or two... breaks the monotony

2. Likes Garyexpat, John Boyter liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

In July/August....Lake Huron can be hotter than here.. and more humid.. deadly

Toronto was 40C Thursday

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Been spending more time in the USA since last year when my dad passed. But prior to that I needed a get away every 5 or 6 months. Maybe it comes with age (lol) but as much as I love living in the DR and have been for over 22+ years now, I find myself needing a bit more time away. I find that I feel better after sometime (3-4 weeks) away.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

A trip to Playa Grande with a friend in this low season does wonders for the irritability.
    But one must leave and catch up sometimes with medical, or mail or friends.
    But definitely to load a suitcase to bring back some things (like tools) or other that are cheap Chinese disposable junk.
    And of course gifts of some better quality items for close friends. (or lovers if that's your niche)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post

Toronto was 40C Thursday
    It’s 40c now in Toronto very humid tomorrow worse

7. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post

Toronto was 40C Thursday
    Very true, BUT when it’s brutal outside (been in the 90s with high humidity in south Jersey) most homes have AC. Our home in DR only has AC in bedrooms, and then only when we have electricity, inverter won’t power them.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, folks. I love it here. Have lived in Sosua and now in Jamao. Two entirely different cultures. I have thousands of acquaintances here in the DR, but cannot really say that I have one friend. Yet, my US friends old and new are still as close to me as ever, despite the distance.

What I do have here, though, is precious. A slow life. Less concrete. More green. Warmth and generosity from the locals. Simplicity. Smiles. And the illusion that time will go on forever.

I do go to the US a couple of times a year for meetings, but after 2 days, I am homesick for the DR.

Last time we did a quick run to the US, my husband made the fatal error of driving on I95 using the Dominican rules of the road. We were caught in the middle of road rage that almost got us killed. I told my husband that he is not in Oz any more. He needs to be alert and follow US driving rules because people there get angry quickly and don't forgive.

......But everyone has their needs and life rhythms. That is what makes the world go round.

Lindsey

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake House had no A/C... fans - just like here
    and water 50yds away.... soak your head before bed.

keepcoming is on to it.... regular visits off island.... or out of the culture... pick one (or two!!)

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The article I ;posted says that LK...

Some adapt better.... to the cultural changes....
    I think I'm Mr In-Between
    but I have reminded myself about the US driving rules..... rein myself in....

It doesn't work well in the US - different culture (again)

12. Likes LindseyKaufman liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's the distance involved or maybe I'm just lazy, but I don't need to go home to the UK unless it's absolutely necessary. I can't go to enjoy a Presidente on the beach every day there!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast