Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Child Support from USA father

This is a long shot but wonder if anyone here has advice on this subject?

I have a friend (Dominincan) here who was married to a US citizen and has a child of three years who has a US passport and birth certificate proving paternity.

The husband moved here but descended into domestic violence and drug use.Having been arrested twice for violence he was eventually given a restraining order and left the country.
    She has since divorced through the local courts and receives no financial support.

I believe child support can be enforced on the father in the USA and I would like to know the first steps for her to take.The .gov.usa page is very complex but she needs to find the first step.

There is no way she can afford a lawyer.

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

The best thing for her to do is contact Evony Suazo who was the first Dominican woman to achieve the payment of child support from a US citizen through the courts in the US.

https://hoy.com.do/dominicana-logra-...de-familia-eu/

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums
    www.DR1.com

3. Likes waytogo, jstarebel, Russell liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post
    This is a long shot but wonder if anyone here has advice on this subject?

I have a friend (Dominincan) here who was married to a US citizen and has a child of three years who has a US passport and birth certificate proving paternity.

The husband moved here but descended into domestic violence and drug use.Having been arrested twice for violence he was eventually given a restraining order and left the country.
    She has since divorced through the local courts and receives no financial support.

I believe child support can be enforced on the father in the USA and I would like to know the first steps for her to take.The .gov.usa page is very complex but she needs to find the first step.

There is no way she can afford a lawyer.
    Neither a US passport or a birth certificate establish actual paternity.......even if he signed the birth certificate..........but a DNA test does/will.

That having been said, she is likely one of literally thousands of women who have children in the DR born to US citizens. I am amazed at the stories I have heard about the babies' papi being a US citizen.........the bulk of the putative fathers being Dominicans born in the US.

Her quest is a long complicated journey, that will require financial resources which she does not seem to have. If the father will not cooperate with or cannot be found...........sorry to say...........she is likely on road that ends in a dead end.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

5. Likes jenmar237 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no dispute over paternity.The father has acknowledged the child and is registered with the US authorities but since he is no longer here no money has been forthcoming from the family.

I have explained that this can take years to resolve,if ever, but if I understand from Matilda's link she should start through the Dominican courts.
    But where to start?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

First place I would go is the US Embassy. They got a special office/service for US citizens. That's probably the best free advice you will get.

Edit: Maybe kid qualifies for some sort of SS benefit. Who knows.
    Last edited by DR_Guy; 07-06-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, if you read the article, she needs to get an award for child support here first. That should not cost much at all.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    The best thing for her to do is contact Evony Suazo who was the first Dominican woman to achieve the payment of child support from a US citizen through the courts in the US.

https://hoy.com.do/dominicana-logra-...de-familia-eu/

Matilda
    I dont think that woman ever received a dime. As I have said countless times States cannot enter treaties with foreign nations. Clearly New Jersey knows what they are doing is illegal and unenforceable in federal court.

Sent from the Federation Intergalactic space vessel: DromOlax 3B55-90R

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by playacaribe2 View Post
    Neither a US passport or a birth certificate establish actual paternity.......even if he signed the birth certificate..........but a DNA test does/will.

That having been said, she is likely one of literally thousands of women who have children in the DR born to US citizens. I am amazed at the stories I have heard about the babies' papi being a US citizen.........the bulk of the putative fathers being Dominicans born in the US.

Her quest is a long complicated journey, that will require financial resources which she does not seem to have. If the father will not cooperate with or cannot be found...........sorry to say...........she is likely on road that ends in a dead end.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2
    Join the club. The Govt of the Phillipines has the same greivance against the Chinese men who likewise come there to blast themselves into the "poor Filipinas" and leave them with child. Same complaint against the Chinese in Uganda and several other African countries with major civil engineering projects financed by Chinese corporations. Apparently "spreading yourself around" is as old as the sea.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post
    There is no dispute over paternity.The father has acknowledged the child and is registered with the US authorities but since he is no longer here no money has been forthcoming from the family.
    There is no dispute.........until there is a dispute.....his prior acknowledgement notwithstanding. Lots of people sign a birth certificate.....who are not the biological father.........and then when they realize they may have support obligations and then hire counsel..........a paternity test may be demanded. Perhaps that is not the case here.........just know that it could be.

I have explained that this can take years to resolve,if ever, but if I understand from Matilda's link she should start through the Dominican courts.
    But where to start?
    The child and family court pf the DR is the place to begin. She will need to have notarized copies (expense) of all documents she is using to establish paternity.

Then once an order of support is ordered, it now needs to be translated and served (expense) upon the father and marked up for a court hearing for enforcement in the state of residence of the father.

Does she know where the father is? Is the father working? Will he even show up to a hearing? If he has sent nothing up to this point, chances are very very small she will be successful.

So many more possible impediments, it is little wonder so few of these EVER turn out ok..........and that is unfortunate for the child.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Ooh La La, USN View Post
    I dont think that woman ever received a dime. As I have said countless times States cannot enter treaties with foreign nations. Clearly New Jersey knows what they are doing is illegal and unenforceable in federal court.

I think you will find she did receive money. More information here

https://www.nj.com/news/2012/04/nj_o...pport_ord.html

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums
    www.DR1.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast