Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't we just start a GOFUNDME page?

2. Likes El Rey de Mangu, Derfish liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    Why don't we just start a GOFUNDME page?
    I'm in for $25.00
    Derfish

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I think you will find she did receive money. More information here

https://www.nj.com/news/2012/04/nj_o...pport_ord.html

Matilda
    Doesnt say anyone received money. It says NJ took $1.2Billion from people(and insinuates theoretically that this money has been used to help children out of poverty). It make ME wonder if such an action(these "agreements" between a State and a foreign nation) were truly legal why is NJ the only state to do it?

What I believe to be the case, actually is the State is seizing peoples money and putting it in escrow(in the event that there is ever an official treaty between the USA and the other place). Then using the interest generated from an escrow account(holding maybe $1.2B) to operate, finance and subsiDize the Child Support Office of the NJ Family Court. Theft at its best.

Sent from the Federation Intergalactic space vessel: DromOlax 3B55-90R

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The kid is a US citizen,they were legally married and the father, whose present whereabouts in the US are completely known, lived here for a time.He is not broke or bankrupt by a long way.Nobody is disputing paternity.That is not the issue.

According to the USGov website the DR is a member of the Hague Convention which applies to legal jurisdiction between co-operating states.

I know it has been done successfully but just looking for the first step to take.It's of no account if it takes years as long as something can be done to help before the kid gets to school age.

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrecksum if you Google child support from US father, there are loads of different organizations which help to obtain child support in cases like this, and it looks like many of them are free, so that should be a good starting point. She could also call the lawyer in the first article I posted as I am pretty sure he took the case on pro bono.

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums
    www.DR1.com

7. Likes mountainannie, Russell liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post
    The kid is a US citizen,they were legally married and the father, whose present whereabouts in the US are completely known, lived here for a time.He is not broke or bankrupt by a long way.Nobody is disputing paternity.That is not the issue.
    So if paternity is not the issue (I suspect it could become one regardless), and he is neither broke nor bankrupt.........why is he not paying something now?

According to the USGov website the DR is a member of the Hague Convention which applies to legal jurisdiction between co-operating states.
    Yes there is comity of law between the US and other countries including the DR......but this is a state matter and under the jurisdiction of the law of the state in which the alleged father resides.....and subject to its laws/procedures.

I know it has been done successfully but just looking for the first step to take.It's of no account if it takes years as long as something can be done to help before the kid gets to school age.
    Yes, there are rare cases of success. So unless this is one of those rare cases..............with relentless pursuit and an alleged father who does not fight it..............

I am not suggesting it is impossible...........but unless the father cooperates.........this could well go on for years/decades.

Again, good luck.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If the father is uncooperative and his lack of support suggests that is/will be the case, then, at the very least the Mother needs a Dominican Court Order for support and then will have to drag the Father into a US court to have the DR order enforced. A court order is worthless without the means of enforcing it.

10. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    If the father is uncooperative and his lack of support suggests that is/will be the case, then, at the very least the Mother needs a Dominican Court Order for support and then will have to drag the Father into a US court to have the DR order enforced. A court order is worthless without the means of enforcing it.
    I believe it is considered proper service if they publish the summons in the newspapers (where, don't know) in paternity cases between DR and US (unless the law or the reciprocation agreements have changed, which is quite possible). The mother (in DR) would not have to appear in court in order to have a support order granted.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post

1. The parent has to apply for US citizenship for the child if the child is born outside the USA and not on a US military base overseas. Just having an American parent isnt good enough anywhere.

2. Hague Convention is meaningless. That defines how combatants are to be treated during armed hostilities. What the US doesnt have with DR that it has with Germany and France and Israel is a Child Support Enforcement Treaty.

Like Playacaribe...one can try but record keeping and document deciphering in DR doesnt live up to developed country standards so dont expect much.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    14th Amendment of the US Constitution prevents that from happening as you wrote it. Why would a US court administrate a Dominican court order?
    If she and the child were in the US then she would have cause and an entire punitive family court system at her disposal.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast