lifestyles cabarete= boom or bust?

J

jfk-tampa

been coming down for about 15 years and have seen many changes. one big one was the construction and promise of lifestyles. I go by often but never see many people staying there. their dining room is gorgeous but I never see it really used. does anybody have any idea as to wether lifestyles has actually added anything to the community .do the people that stay get out and spend money in the town itself? do they also own that project next to them that was started but never completed? just wondering

E

El Rey de Mangu

been coming down for about 15 years and have seen many changes. one big one was the construction and promise of lifestyles. I go by often but never see many people staying there. their dining room is gorgeous but I never see it really used. does anybody have any idea as to wether lifestyles has actually added anything to the community .do the people that stay get out and spend money in the town itself? do they also own that project next to them that was started but never completed? just wondering

Good questions, actually, jfk. They were leaking septic water into the neighborhood streets for months and the stench was horrific. Other than the place being a monstrous eyesore, I have no idea about it (maybe an observation that I hardly see movement out front that would correlate to it's size). Only know that the vacation rental business is slimy and unethical.

D

drstock

I heard from an employee that it was full this weekend, but I find it hard to believe. Although I agree that it's an eyesore, especially the Times Square style illumination at night, I hope it succeeds, because I dread the idea of it closing and becoming yet another huge derelict monument to broken dreams.

I believe that they do own the adjoining unfinished project, but are unable to develop it because there are still unsettled claims by people who originally invested there.

W

windeguy

The original explanation for the Cabarete location was that the Puerto Plata location was overbooked and they needed more space on the north coast of the DR. I too have wondered if they have many people there because it does not appear they are busy, but then there is little one can see from the street of the complex.

Full this past weekend? That is really hard to believe.

C

Cdn_Gringo

It's not likely that LS Cabarete will close. There is sufficient overflow demand from Cofresi to keep the place going. The big issue is the lack of a swimming beach on site. Members and AI guests in general may well hike to the main beach and sip on a cocktail but will not make a habit of doing that.

The food available on the property is very good and there is no justification to go somewhere else to purchase a meal. All of the suites offer full kitchens so the upper echelon members need not venture to the dining room as a chef will come to them and prepare meals en suite.

Unlike Corfresi, Cabarete is a small resort with not much to do day after day that doesn't get repetitive. Guests often split their time between the two N. Coast resorts. Your typical LS member guest does not windsurf nor go zip-lining. They buy into Lifestyles for above average accommodations, excellent food, name brand alcohol and to be pampered with attentive service.

W

windeguy

With the alleged plans by Marriott to open a W resort at the old Azzurro Club location with a similar to higher end client level to Lifestyles on Cabarete Beach, the times may be a changing.

For sure, Cabarete needs some draw to bring people back during these very low times. Not sure that exclusive hotels will do it, but they are probably better than nothing. As Lifestyles sells more memberships, more may come, like the area and retire here. That seems to be the way this area is going.

C

chico bill

Saw a Jeep stretch limo from Lifestyle passing through Sosua heading that way this morning. So some clients are coming

B

Big

The property attracts the "low roller" , crocs and muscle t shirts. They are not venturing to Bliss or Otra Cosa for dinner

D

drstock

The big issue is the lack of a swimming beach on site.

I don't want to be argumentative, but Lifestyle clients use the beach right in front of the resort, which has placed it's own sunbeds on the sand. I often see their clients in the sea. Yesterday I noticed a flagpole planted in the sand with a yellow flag indicating the state of safety, I suppose, and next to it was a Baywatch style rescue flotation device.

W

windeguy

The property attracts the "low roller" , crocs and muscle t shirts. They are not venturing to Bliss or Otra Cosa for dinner

People who stay at Lifestyles have no reason to go to other places to eat. That is the entire point of a costly All Inclusive plan that Lifestyles has. They are not going to eat off the premises. Others have reported that the food at Lifestyles is good.

E

El Rey de Mangu

People who stay at Lifestyles have no reason to go to other places to eat. That is the entire point of a costly All Inclusive plan that Lifestyles has. They are not going to eat off the premises. Others have reported that the food at Lifestyles is good.

As you walk by the Lifestyles' enormous, out of place dining hall, which always seems empty, one can snap selfies in front of a string of run-down, old-hat, drunk, punch and pUt- establishments along the main road while taking in the smells of garbage, spilled beer, dead animals and urine. Not even the lower east side of Manhattan can compete.

B

Big

How about the rooms that are right on or overlook the street. I guess you can be lulled to sleep by the sound of moto conchos and blaring car stereos all night. In the morning you can hit the all u can eat breakfast bar and consume unlimited fried buttery potatoes while your wife amazes at Rauls time share spiel and drools over his biceps.

I would rather stay at a super8 in yonkers

A

ando1991

Wow... Cabarete must be a horrible part of the North coast.
Why would Lifestyles invest in Cabarete?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

E

El Rey de Mangu

How about the rooms that are right on or overlook the street. I guess you can be lulled to sleep by the sound of moto conchos and blaring car stereos all night. In the morning you can hit the all u can eat breakfast bar and consume unlimited fried buttery potatoes while your wife amazes at Rauls time share spiel and drools over his biceps.

I would rather stay at a super8 in yonkers

when Raul pulls the old Kansas City Shuffle and you're stuck with one of those street facing rooms overlooking the dumpsters. "wha happe man???"

W

windeguy

As you walk by the Lifestyles' enormous, out of place dining hall, which always seems empty, one can snap selfies in front of a string of run-down, old-hat, drunk, punch and pUt- establishments along the main road while taking in the smells of garbage, spilled beer, dead animals and urine. Not even the lower east side of Manhattan can compete.

And to think that is still a step up from Sosua. (Sorry, I know that is a cheap shot to Sosua.). Both suffer at this time from on-going corruption.

I have no idea how well Lifestyles will eventually do in Cabarete. They took a chance, as anyone does, when opening a business.

E

El Rey de Mangu

And to think that is still a step up from Sosua. (Sorry, I know that is a cheap shot to Sosua.). Both suffer at this time from on-going corruption.

I have no idea how well Lifestyles will eventually do in Cabarete. They took a chance, as anyone does, when opening a business.

If they cleaned the place up and lost that cheesy Jersey Shore boardwalk look and smell (meaning the main drag), and I could walk to Dick's bakery with my kids without navigating around the strewn garbage and rats, it may be nice.

C

chico bill

If they ever bi-pass Hwy 5 around Cabarete it could be great. And definitely some more cheap or free parking (maybe validated ?)

There are some nice restaurants and it is nice to sit on a beach with more tourist developed businesses, not the downscale Sosua shacks (which do have their own 'charm'. But the wind and rough ocean are not a real family friendly beach/ocean