Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    The airlines just like the travelers tend to ignore the rules because experience has taught them that counting on DR non-enforcement is easier than annoying passengers by compelling them to comply with a rule that likely will not be enforced. Likewise, travelers ignore the 30 day stay law simply because they can almost always get away with doing so. If the DR chooses to start fining the airlines and chastising travelers then everyone's tune will change rather quickly.

It's the DR that makes the rules and then chooses not to consistently enforce them leading to a nebulous reality that periodically catches someone off guard when some official (perhaps mistakenly) does their job.
    Goes a lot deeper than that. Last April two of my Canadian friends arrived at POP airport after a four month stay. Got to Customs. Told to pay $5000 pesos for overstay fine. Told officer they didn’t have the money. It was Saturday. Did he have discounts on the weekend. He said yes. They gave him $4000 pesos. He put it in his pocket and they went on their merry way. The whole thing is a farce. Some of the revenue makes it into the government coffers, some into officers pockets. It highly unlikely anyone will ever go to jail for an overstay and the system has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. The more things change in the DR, the more they stay the same. I’m guessing they will be even more lenient with all the negative tourist publicity on the go.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoman1949 View Post
    Goes a lot deeper than that. Last April two of my Canadian friends arrived at POP airport after a four month stay. Got to Customs. Told to pay $5000 pesos for overstay fine. Told officer they didn’t have the money. It was Saturday. Did he have discounts on the weekend. He said yes. They gave him $4000 pesos. He put it in his pocket and they went on their merry way. The whole thing is a farce. Some of the revenue makes it into the government coffers, some into officers pockets. It highly unlikely anyone will ever go to jail for an overstay and the system has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. The more things change in the DR, the more they stay the same. I’m guessing they will be even more lenient with all the negative tourist publicity on the go.
    As I said a few days ago, stay as long as you like when you pay cash. Gracias por preferirnos!

3. Likes GuillermoRamon liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoman1949 View Post
    You must have meant "immigration" because customs has nothing to do with the overstay fees. Also, 4000 pesos is the correct overstay fee for 4 months. Apparently, the officer was hoping to pocket the extra 1000 pesos.

The new computerized system is designed to prevent the pocketing of overstay fees which was happening in the past. Your entry and exit is all in the computer along with the appropriate overstay fee and is automatically calculated when your passport is unlocked. At the end of the day, the overstay fees calculated in the computer have to match the money collected.

5. Likes nekokatt liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    In the case you refer to - he was refused entry... sent back to the US immediately at his own expense
    and banned from the country for 18 months.

I doubt any amount of cash in hand at the airport could have avoided that

Over 30 days is illegal.... the fine payment doesn't affect that
    You are assuming this story is true. I for one am not buying it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    You must have meant "immigration" because customs has nothing to do with the overstay fees. Also, 4000 pesos is the correct overstay fee for 4 months. Apparently, the officer was hoping to pocket the extra 1000 pesos.

The new computerized system is designed to prevent the pocketing of overstay fees which was happening in the past. Your entry and exit is all in the computer along with the appropriate overstay fee and is automatically calculated when your passport is unlocked. At the end of the day, the overstay fees calculated in the computer have to match the money collected.
    This is good info. Modern accounting

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Well.... the fellow who was refused may differ with your 'lack of enforcement ' statement

Bad luck Chuck he was
    Wonder if this fella maybe wore out his welcome.
    Something as simple as not paying your hotel stay
    or monies owed to your "girlfriend" is more than enough
    for them to put a little pressure on you. I remember
    leaving here back in 2016 and almost hopping on a
    plane without paying my overstay fee because I was
    rushed through the line and had never overstayed before
    so wasn't sure where/ when to pay. The supervisor on
    duty that morning told me to pay it and had I actually
    made my flight without paying that I would probably
    be denied re-entry upon my return.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    It is true that you are very unlikely to lose any property you own if you are simply denied re-entry for previously overstaying a tourist card.

Also true that you do not need any legal residence in the DR to own property here.

That said, here is a potential real world consequence of overstaying a visa or tourist card: Would it be an inconvenience if you were barred re-entry to the DR either permanently or for a period of 18 months, as in the OP?
    For me it would't matter very much. My son could look after the property, take, sell my vehicles and belongings. There are plenty of other places I could enjoy living and since I work from my lap top, no problem. Colombia will soon be home 6 months a year anyway.
    Having said this you are assuming the story about someone being denied entry solely based on past over stays is true. I personally believe it is FALSE. I personally know ZERO people that has ever had this happen to them however on the other hand I know plenty of people that have repeatedly overstayed (sometimes up to several years) and have NEVER had a problem. Oh and yes it was after the fingerprinting, computerized systems in the airports.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post

Mea Culpa. I meant immigration. Is $4000 the correct fee for two people for a four month stay?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Well.... the fellow who was refused may differ with your 'lack of enforcement ' statement

Bad luck Chuck he was
    William, I really don't get why you are so quick to believe that story. I think it is a matter of wanting to believe it as opposed to accepting it on face value.
    Think about this. If a person is denied entry because of some past indiscretion would that person want to tell others about some secret from their past or would they rather use the excuse that they were denied solely due to past over stays?
    I realize this is conjecture on my part but until this happens to me or someone that I know I am not buying it.

12. Likes lifeisgreat, GuillermoRamon liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

His friend says no

I still am singing about the PC taximan who was tarred & feathered here when he reported his clients were refused
    entry

hahaha

Be patient.... wait & see
    I believe - The Times , They are A-Changing
    The problem with your taxi man story (I am not doubting what you personally are saying, but what you were told) is first of all having almost gotten into fist fights with numerous taxi drivers over the years, mostly in the DR I put their reliability level on a par with used car salesmen (that includes the owners of both businesses) and secondly, to a point I made earlier, IF in fact there did exist this person that was turned away, the taxi guy would not be aware of the possible "real" reason, which once again I don't believe would be for only overstays.

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast