Frequent overstayer denied re-entry for 18 months

W

windeguy

Code:
JRP55 Today 06:51:32 Report #45
3 posts Puerto Plata
My friend from NY who has been coming here for years and overstaying each and every time was denied entry in April and put on the first plane smoking to NY and cannot enter this country for 18 months

Post is from:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=764914&p=2#4625277

I asked the question to JRP55: Was he told his denial of re-entry to the DR was only because of his previous frequent overstays? Or was there some other reason?

E

El Rey de Mangu

Code:
JRP55 Today 06:51:32 Report #45
3 posts Puerto Plata
My friend from NY who has been coming here for years and overstaying each and every time was denied entry in April and put on the first plane smoking to NY and cannot enter this country for 18 months

Post is from:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=764914&p=2#4625277

I asked the question to JRP55: Was he told his denial of re-entry to the DR was only because of his previous frequent overstays? Or was there some other reason?

I read the post. Sounds like ghetto-ish folks. Maybe they're Dominican or PR nationals (but US citizens) or something with a prior.

U

Uzin

And note that member JRP55 has only 3 posts on that forum ever, and I checked, all of those 3 are posted today... !

Make up your own mind...

R

Riva_31

I read the post. Sounds like ghetto-ish folks. Maybe they're Dominican or PR nationals (but US citizens) or something with a prior.

If is Dominican with US passport can not be returned, unless do not have proof of his Dominican citizentship, like cedula.

L

lifeisgreat

Guess hotels not only thing slow now...lawyers too ;)

W

william webster

Before the SnowBirds get twisted into a knot...

This is no casual overstayer..... 1 1/2 years of overstay.....18 months.....
Tell me that is not living here

W

windeguy

Before the SnowBirds get twisted into a knot...

This is no casual overstayer..... 1 1/2 years of overstay.....18 months.....
Tell me that is not living here

I did not read it that way. The person overstayed frequently, the overstay lengths not stated. He was denied re-entry for 18 months. That is where the 18 months comes in.

Doesn't matter. Nobody will believe he was denied re-entry just for previous overstays. Why would they? That kind of denial is not something that actually "happens", is it?

W

william webster

Right Windy - my mistake....

but he answered your question
======================================================================

Yes it was simply for his history of overstays he never had and criminal problems,the new fingerprint machines at the airport now make it easy to identify those who have patterns of overstay

E

El Rey de Mangu

I did not read it that way. The person overstayed frequently, the overstay lengths not stated. He was denied re-entry for 18 months. That is where the 18 months comes in.

Doesn't matter. Nobody will believe he was denied re-entry just for previous overstays. Why would they? That kind of denial is not something that actually "happens", is it?

As I said, maybe a few priors or on some watchlist. "Normal" snowbirds don't have these sort of legal issues

W

windeguy

People will still deny it was only because of overstays

Yep, must have done something else, was on a watch list, etc, etc, etc...

JRP55 Today 14:05:00 Report #54
9 posts Puerto Plata
Yes it was simply for his history of overstays he never had and criminal problems,the new fingerprint machines at the airport now make it easy to identify those who have patterns of overstay

People will deny what is stated above. It simply has not happened ever before nor will it again.:bunny:

E

El Rey de Mangu

Yep, must have done something else, was on a watch list, etc, etc, etc...

People will deny what is stated above. It simply has not happened ever before nor will it again.:bunny:

It's more fun to believe the former

C

Cdn_Gringo

As Dirty Harry would say, "Do you feel lucky..."

It would certainly suck to arrive here, be denied entry, returned to an airport far from your home town and have to make your own arrangements to get to where you ultimately need to be. I kinda smirked at the assertion (as it makes sense to me) that those denied entry and without funds to purchase a return ticket immediately are held in custody until the date of their return flight - No one ever arrives here without a return ticket. :)

The account sounds plausible, not yet the norm but also not the first such account we have heard about. I wouldn't be surprised if other such entry denials have occurred and in those cases no one popped onto a website to broadcast how they got turned around.

Those travelers that have their eyes and ears open, cannot deny that the DR is now actively tracking the arrival and departure of everyone to and from the DR. Those same travelers who can see past the end of their nose, cannot deny that with this traveler data in hand, it is more likely than ever before that some frequent overstayers will eventually encounter an obstacle at the immigration desk, either coming or going.

Repeatedly intending to stay in country longer than your documents allow, is just playing the odds with a bet equal to what you have spent to get here.

L

lifeisgreat

This supposedly happened in April ... I entered end of May POP with 6 people 4 of us overstayers no issues .... Biometrics are not For catching overstayers lmao but for catching bad guys and false passports.. they had this info 3-4 yrs as soon as they swiped your passport and could of kicked you out then... POP airport is snowbird main airport if it was happening surely one of us would of heard from a friend somethings up! God knows keeping a secret in DR is almost impossible.. so for now in gambling terms House is losing eventually it wins but not today.

R

RDKNIGHT

another BS story as long as you are able to pay your overstay fees and do not commit crimes in DR you will not be denied...
I have a friends who was here for 3 years just went back home for a week and came back no problems... actually when paid his fees to leave the officers said you real love DR .. thanks for staying.....

E

El Rey de Mangu

another BS story as long as you are able to pay your overstay fees and do not commit crimes in DR you will not be denied...
I have a friends who was here for 3 years just went back home for a week and came back no problems... actually when paid his fees to leave the officers said you real love DR .. thanks for staying.....

You get to come and go as you please when you pay your overstay fees in cash. Thanks for choosing DR!

J

judypdr

As I said, maybe a few priors or on some watchlist. "Normal" snowbirds don't have these sort of legal issues

You need to add "in the past."

Who knows what the future will bring. The technology that allows the DR to check reentry and overstays by tourists (and snowbirds) is only recently become available here...so you don't know for sure whether the past lax enforcement will continue indefinitely or whether frequent overstayers soon be refused reentry. Please qualify your statement to say that what has been in the past may not be the same in the the future! After all, a lot has changed about the residency procedure in the past 10 years so I expect the process will continue to evolve. You are misleading other snowbirds by saying they will not have a problem if they stay beyond 30 days. If they don't have a problem, it's great. But is is possible and has happened sporadically already. Why not just apply for residency if you live here half the time. It's the legal way to go about it!

Last edited:
W

william webster

2-3 yrs ago , a fellow posted from Punta Cana that he witnessed an entry refusal

He had regular clients (from France?) who came every year for a couple or 3 months....
They were turned away...called him from inside to advise.

He was immediately scorned on this site... blasted out to the point he stopped posting
He was a new poster ... in the taxi business... making what he thought was a nice gesture - a warning to visitors.

He was tarred & feathered here.

I contacted him privately....
he owns a taxi business in the PC area..... a reputable guy by all accounts
I was asking about parking my car if I used PUJ... he was kind enough to give me good advice.

PUJ has what ? 60-65% of incoming tourists?
they would be up to speed first - IMO

I have told the story here of my Buena Conducta letter for my citizenship last October

I had one - all good - free & clear..... when it passed 90 days old, they asked for a new one
How did i know the new system was operable ???
They flagged a 2013 speeding ticket - not seen prior

Seems the system got smart(er) in 90 days

With this better information gathering.... the question becomes

What will they do with it ???
That's the worry............

W

william webster

I have a friend who broke the rules in the USA.... overstaying his visa...

He was banned for 5 yrs from entering

Imagine being a Cdn and not being able to change planes in the USA.....
No touchdown in DFW or CHI to get a connection....

This guy only got 18 months..... light sentence - IMO
Unless you own property here..... car, condo, house

R

RDKNIGHT

You need to add "in the past."

Who knows what the future will bring. The technology that allows the DR to check reentry and overstays by tourists (and snowbirds) is only recently become available here...so you don't know for sure whether the past lax enforcement will continue indefinitely or whether frequent overstayers soon be refused reentry. Please qualify your statement to say that what has been in the past may not be the same in the the future! After all, a lot has changed about the residency procedure in the past 10 years so I expect the process will continue to evolve. You are misleading other snowbirds by saying they will not have a problem if they stay beyond 30 days. If they don't have a problem, it's great. But is is possible and has happened sporadically already. Why not just apply for residency if you live here half the time. It's the legal way to go about it!

you must be joking // given the current state of the tourist industry soon they will pay you to stay here....