Page 39 of 69 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Obtuse Fishy--- you're being obtuse

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a personal choice, whether to obtain legal status or not. But to tell others that it is no problem, you will not have any issues, etc… is misleading. Over the years if I have learned anything living here is just because so and so did not have any problems/issues does not mean someone else wont. Yes there has been the ability to pay a "overstay fee" for years but that does not mean that can not change. Anyone who lives here and has for some time knows how quickly rules/laws can change. You also know how sometimes laws are enforced, ok for one person and not ok for another. I would never tell someone looking to "live" here, "don't worry you will be fine I have been doing it for years". Many have asked me and I tell them the same thing, the law is there but it is their decision on how they decide to comply with it. I would love to see the DR come with a visa process, where you can obtain a 3 month, 6 month, etc...visa at the time of entry. Maybe one day...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely correct.... I have tried to say the same

To inject a bit of levity here -
    seeing as we have 'know-it-alls' on both sides

I am reminded of the story about the filming of The Charge of the Light Brigade
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ch...de_(1936_film)

David Niven had a part in it...
    He and Flynn were famous for their carousing... great pals
    Flynn of course was a BIG deal in 1936... in all ways , movies, social, playboy....
    Niven - not so much yet

The director was foreign - poor English and Flynn/Niven teased him relentlessly
    It ticked the guy off

anyway ... one day they get the scene for the charge

Director lines everybody up - yells ACTION
    and screams - BRING ON THE EMPTY HORSES !!!

Flynn & Niven stat laughing... can't do the scene... too much hilarity

The director totally loses it... and berates them

Listen you two... you think I know f*ck nothing
    I'm telling you ... I know f*ck ALL

well- that really did it.... the pair fell off the horses laughing
    Shooting done for the day
    Anecdote form the book by Niven - Bring on the Empty Horses

I should apply the italics to many of the posts here....

hahaha
    have a nice day

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    So if I stay until 6 feet under time who will pay the overstay fee that time?
    Derfish
    We're all going to chip in.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keepcoming View Post
    It is a personal choice, whether to obtain legal status or not. But to tell others that it is no problem, you will not have any issues, etc… is misleading. Over the years if I have learned anything living here is just because so and so did not have any problems/issues does not mean someone else wont. Yes there has been the ability to pay a "overstay fee" for years but that does not mean that can not change. Anyone who lives here and has for some time knows how quickly rules/laws can change. You also know how sometimes laws are enforced, ok for one person and not ok for another. I would never tell someone looking to "live" here, "don't worry you will be fine I have been doing it for years". Many have asked me and I tell them the same thing, the law is there but it is their decision on how they decide to comply with it. I would love to see the DR come with a visa process, where you can obtain a 3 month, 6 month, etc...visa at the time of entry. Maybe one day...
    That’s the problem it hasn’t changed for now! And it’s been this way for long time! So it’s misleading people into not coming
    Who don’t know this history and issues at hand..why worry about something that isn’t happening yet ...when the party is over
    We can always find a new party

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Derfish
    The airline that brought you in with out return ticket

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Derfish
    You will. DGM will confiscate your scooter!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    You will. DGM will confiscate your scooter!
    I prolly won't be using it much at that point!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much of a difference in regards to this topic.....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I have no idea what their data bases are capable of doing. It seems that linking a passport, photographs. fingerprints, and dates to show the legal time in the DR among other things, would be a relatively easy thing to do. Time will tell. Certainly changes are being made.
    ...Winde...after my last trip a few months ago to Miami, and of course I was about 2 years overdue....and had a new passport with no stamps in it, and told them at immigration the old one was stolen...the man in charge told me how they keep track, they use your passport number...I was then told to produce my old passport # or go home till I could find it...I had the # in my wallet so I gave it to him with a smile...And paid something over $100 dollars....a lady I know is from Peru she pays her overstay fee every month in advance at immigration in Santiago, I will be doing the same...….Cortez...…..

Page 39 of 69 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast