Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    exit fee always has been 20.00 I remember news report of Dominicans and tourist claiming at the airport they do not have more money to pay the exit fee, that they was on vacations and spend it all, thats why then was added to the ticket.
    You're right - $20. I was coming down here 6-8 times a year at that time. Shortly after adding that to the airline ticket fees, the total exit fees went up to $55-$65.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tourism Changes afoot 911, Inspections, Medical coverage....

Since people that overstay come in as tourists, it seems there is something going on with respect to tourists and medical insurance . (What color is the SKY in his world? Medical insurance will never come up? )

Tourism Ministry to enact Congressman Espaillat’s suggestions

Press Release

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Ministry of Tourism of the Dominican Republic will implement recommendations offered by Congressman Adriano Espaillat (NY-13) to improve safety models for the protection of tourists in the Dominican Republic. Espaillat published these recommendations after his visit to the country earlier this month, during which he met with leaders of the tourism industry and officials of the Embassy of the United States.

Congressman Espaillat recommended that the Tourism Ministry continue working with hotels to ensure that tourists and guests have access to emergency services and standardized information on emergency services, such as how to communicate with the local 911 system, publishing it in hotel rooms and as information delivered to all hotels and resorts.

The chief of staff of the Ministry of Tourism, Pablo Espinal, spoke with CNN en Espanol and indicated that in the coming weeks, each hotel in the country will be asked to publish an emergency information card in all rooms with ways to communicate with the embassies, the tourism police and the 911 services.

Espaillat recommended that the country continue to deepen the coordination between the Office of the Attorney General of the Dominican Republic and the law enforcement agencies of the United States, including the ATF and the FBI, as this would help ensure coordination in a timely manner on any case involving the death of a citizen of the United States.

CNN reported that the FBI has a team of researchers on the island that assists in the toxicology tests of deaths of three Americans. In addition, island officials have also invited the ATF and the CDC to join the investigation.

Additionally, Congressman Espaillat recommended that the Ministry of Tourism take the existing international standards to control the quality of food and alcohol offered in hotels and resorts to apply a more robust and double review.

Espinal explained to CNN that hotels that have been inspected twice a year in the past will be inspected four times a year, including a detailed food and beverage inspection.

Congressman Espaillat also recommended that the Ministry of Tourism offer health insurance at low cost to tourists and praised the fact that the entity will take more measures to monitor the medical facilities located inside the hotels and will create an emergency center for tourists.

“The growth and expansion of the tourism industry in the Dominican Republic must be paired with the safety and well-being of travelers, and I am pleased that the country’s Ministry of Tourism is implementing the necessary measures to keep this important sector of tourism which is vital in the Dominican economy,” said Congressman Espaillat. “The Dominican Republic continues to be one of the main tourist destinations for Americans, and I remain committed to working with the country to ensure this trend continues and the safety and welfare of tourists remains a priority.”

According to reports from the Central Bank of the Dominican Republic, among the total of tourists who visit the island each year, 41.6% (equivalent to 2,334,987 travelers in 2018) come from the United States of America (USA), the country’s main trading partner.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/touris...nBhteAKuErCmS8

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Yes I am missing something. CB is getting about as far out as Pichardo lately. What with his supposed connections within the DR govt. Used to pretend to be a Libertarian.
    Derfish
    You need to pay better attention.

The "tourist insurance" has been discussed in public for several months now. In fact, Rep. Espaillat mentioned it in a ^^^post^^^ by windy.

"Supposedly."

You have me confused with an anarchist.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoman1949 View Post
    I agree many people delude themselves about the benefits of living in paradise. I don’t. I know the DR warts and all and certainly have no delusions about life here. Every country has its seamy side. The trick is to look beyond that.
    Most every country also has a good, bright side, including the DR.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to take a different angle. Can I sue the DR gov for allowing me to come back after I had overstayed several times.
    It would have saved me a lot of physical, financial and emotional pain.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    So do tell my what the penalty is and how it is EVER enforced on all these criminals running around the DR?????????????
    And while they are at it they could also tell us how an " illegal" can buy land, open a bank account, get a SIM card, internet, car insurance, register a car, get into legal problems ( think arrested, detained, etc..).And not one person or instance will point out that you are an illegal alien. Mind blowing, no ?
    It took years, literally, for me to even realise that I was (dr1-)illegal.
    Hell, I even got married in the dr while being " illegal ", lol.

So Poll time !!!!

a) The dr goverment is composed of complete muppets that couldnt point out their left arm if their life depended on it. Basically they are incapable of determining who is illegal, or not.

b) The law that pertains to overstayers being illegal is law # 42 758 of the 2nd book of the 14th Constitution. ( and the dr only enforces law #1 through 10-----on the best of days ).

c) The dr does not care that snowbirds overstay, just as long as they come and spend their hard-earned ( or not ) , $/¥/£/€ and as long as, perhaps, they dont excerce any economical activity.

That is not to say to people not get residency, everyone does as they want.
    Imagine somebody from the US or europe thinking of relocating part time to the dr, and reading our bi-annual " illegal alien be aware !!!" thread....... enough to put anyone off.......when they could come over for months at a time, without a visa or residency, see if they like the dr, etc....... all while enjoying the same perks ( and anoyances ) as a legal resident or a dominican citizen, naturalised or not. And pay a measly fee ( or fine, call it whatever gets you going ) as they leave.

P.S. anybody telling you that residency fees are enooormous as we can read from time to time is BSing big time.
    For a couple hundred bucks and a bit of legwork, you get residency in the dr.

7. Likes Harleysrock, lifeisgreat, Polar Bear, Uzin liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    And while they are at it they could also tell us how an " illegal" can buy land, open a bank account, get a SIM card, internet, car insurance, register a car, get into legal problems ( think arrested, detained, etc..).And not one person or instance will point out that you are an illegal alien. Mind blowing, no ?
    It took years, literally, for me to even realise that I was (dr1-)illegal.
    Hell, I even got married in the dr while being " illegal ", lol.

You do not have to be legally in the country to do any of those things. Totally irrelevant to the actual conversation since none of those thing are against the law for anyone at all to do (with the exception, of course, of being arrested for doing something else illegal, like working, murder, etc.).

So Poll time !!!!

a) The dr goverment is composed of complete muppets that couldnt point out their left arm if their life depended on it. Basically they are incapable of determining who is illegal, or not.

So far, they have the exit fees for staying illegally when using a tourist card. Several instances of refusals to re-enter have been discussed , but "nobody believes" that happened even to just one person just for previous overstays.

b) The law that pertains to overstayers being illegal is law # 42 758 of the 2nd book of the 14th Constitution. ( and the dr only enforces law #1 through 10-----on the best of days ).

See my comment on exit fees up to this point. If you overstay a tourist card you are an illegal alien.

c) The dr does not care that snowbirds overstay, just as long as they come and spend their hard-earned ( or not ) , $/¥/£/€ and as long as, perhaps, they dont excerce any economical activity.

Working here without being legal can get you deported, but there will always be people who work that are illegal and they won't be caught. It certainly is illegal to work if you arrived on just a tourist card or let your residency expire. Snowbirds that stay past the length of their tourist cards are illegally in the country. It is a simple fact.

That is not to say to people not get residency, everyone does as they want.
    Imagine somebody from the US or europe thinking of relocating part time to the dr, and reading our bi-annual " illegal alien be aware !!!" thread....... enough to put anyone off.......when they could come over for months at a time, without a visa or residency, see if they like the dr, etc....... all while enjoying the same perks ( and anoyances ) as a legal resident or a dominican citizen, naturalised or not. And pay a measly fee ( or fine, call it whatever gets you going ) as they leave.

Everyone can do as they please.

P.S. anybody telling you that residency fees are enooormous as we can read from time to time is BSing big time.
    Some people have been charged thousands of dollars to become residents. There is no BS if they decided to pay what was asked of them by a lawyer. Some even pay lawyers to renew residency. Of course they did not have to, but some people would rather pay others to help with such things. I would not have known the first step when I first applied for residency 16 years ago, so I used a lawyer and then renewed on my own since then.

Others have stated they are proud or happy they did not pay money to become legal residents or renew residency after it expired but they live here and some even work here. To each his own on that; Migracion told me there was no plan to eliminate the exit fees as of yet, but overstays can indeed cause you to be denied re-entry. I know, nobody believes that since it isn't happening or if it did to a couple of people it had to be for other additional reasons as well.
    Last edited by windeguy; Yesterday at 10:13 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Not any more! A friend of mine is doing his residency right now. It's a two-step process starting in your home country. He's spent over $600 in MIA on visa fees, medicals, FBI report, apostiles, birth certificates, legal translations, etc. This does not include any lawyer fees or a couple hotel stays that he had to do at about $100/night each.

Then there's all the government fees that need to be paid here. They're running somewhere around $800 - not including a lawyer. For someone new to the DR and doesn't speak and read Spanish, it would be very difficult to get w/o a lawyer or a good friend proficient in Spanish.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Oouch, with all that money and hassle for getting residency, "and" renewing it every year or two, no wonder some guys are so angry about many others who just pay an exit fee and enjoy staying in DR as long as they like, come and go, do as they pleased, without a care in the world.... !

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849