Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

White cement as it is sold here is typically plaster of paris. Not something terribly useful to attach or protect anything.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    I will ask again at Luciano, the next time I need one. Thx. Interested in sharing your plumber's contact info with the rest of us? You never know when a knowledgeable plumber will be needed :-)
    His name is Euclides and lives close to david tire shop unfortunately I’m out of DR now and don’t have his number with me when I get back in I will PM you..

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

25 yrs ago if you lived Sosua weekly trips to Puerto Plata and monthly to Santiago grocery shopping ...now you can buy almost anything locally...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    and don't forget the wax Seal .

Make a card board Cutout . being perfectly centered is extremely important .
    you mean to rob me of the aroma of raw sewage that adds to the ambiance of my tropical experience, what next ? working faucets in restrooms

5. Likes jd426, chico bill liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    White cement as it is sold here is typically plaster of paris. Not something terribly useful to attach or protect anything.
    It is actually VERY useful,, used by Master Plumbers to completely LEVEL a toilet to perfection.. but it has to be bolted down, and perfectly centered as well, on a relatively FLAT surface ... the Plaster of paris keeps the toilet for ROCKING, as it cushions it all around the surface area which would otherwise not be touching the tile floor..
    and only a Millimeter of rocking is enough to cause problems ..
    I have done it , and it works wonderfully, again in conjunction with doing it the right way ..

7. Likes monfongo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

As a licensed plumber( MA) i've installed more toilets than i care to remember, i've used plaster of Paris many times to keep them from rocking. I don't see where a wax ring is going to do you much good if you don't install a closet flange.

9. Likes jd426 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr_engineer View Post
    the wax ring seals the toilet to the tube so that it is air tight and no bad smell can escape.
    the wax doesn't do anything for the rocking.

I would bed it in sikaflex, might be the brand name though. but you can get that stuff here easily.
    just installing one.

thank you for that , but I dont think anyone here stated anything about the wax seal helping to stop the rocking ..
    we were defending the use of Plaster of Paris .
    Some of us have done & watched Plumbers do dozens & dozens of toilets , and Mofongo as per his posts has probably done hundreds ..
    its a Gas Seal , nothing more .

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Sikaflex is a selfgleveling cement adhesive. Great product but pricey and needs to be taped off to prevent running. If you have a level tile floor and a good casting on a toilet you should not need leveling or shims. I would say as a contractor I've installed new or changed more toilets than I care to count.?
    You need plumbers putting for the tank bolts to base (not silicone) and all you need for bonding the floor to base is a white silicone caulking. It bonds and sticks better than white Cement ever will and flexes slightly when fat uncle Javier has a morning thunder with the morning paper in hand. Plus it can be shaved off if the toilet needs resetting.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

level floor ? You forget this is the DR, bad casting, i've installed many, you don't go running back to the plumbing supply because the bowl is a little off.

13. Likes jd426 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monfongo View Post
    level floor ? You forget this is the DR, bad casting, i've installed many, you don't go running back to the plumbing supply because the bowl is a little off.
    Well the castings her from Colombia, Peru (I have not seen the local castings) or some from Mexico would not pass the standard of Kohler, Elgin or American Standard brands sold up North, so yes maybe the bases on toilets here are warped and require shimming before applying a caulking between the base and tile

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast