White Cement is not the answer.

C

chico bill

I went to help a friend whose toilet had come loose from the floor a 2nd time. Last time her landlord sent a guy who filled the base with white Cement and set it on the tile, just as it was originally .
Here's a tip Dominican Republic. White Cement is not going to bond with ceramic tile. If your floor is bare concrete good it might work.
But where it really bonds good is to the non-fired bottom of the toilet. Try removing it without breaking the casting - not worth the trouble.
I bought a new toilet and closet ring which I had to screw to the floor with inserts.
I'm sure others here have seen this same ridiculous shortcut with white cement .
You would be better off using RV silicone which does bond to dry ceremic tile - if your plumber won't install a closet flange.

F

Fulano2

Same in our house before I came back two months ago, a disaster. They just don't know nor ask, nor investigate.

L

lifeisgreat

Hammer drill and two bolts , under put flange caulk around toilet , pick up two toilet bolt caps and your done ...

J

jd426

and don't forget the wax Seal .

Make a card board Cutout . being perfectly centered is extremely important .

C

Cdn_Gringo

Where is locally for you lifeisgreat? I've asked for wax seals and neither the plumbers nor my limited local ferreterías have them. Agreed, if you have access to the seals that's the way to go. Unfortunately, my locals guy always seem to arrive with a pocketful of white cement.

I've been lucky, two cemented toilets and no need to redo those leak repairs.

L

lifeisgreat

The way trade school works here is they hand you light switch ,if you hook it up and it works your electrician if not your plumber ;) I’m lucky I have an actual Plummer installed 4 toilets in 2 hrs finished.. I’m in Sosua I assume he bought them from Luciano because he left came back 20 minutes later with them and new valves for water supply to toilet for mine where semi seized

C

Cdn_Gringo

I will ask again at Luciano, the next time I need one. Thx. Interested in sharing your plumber's contact info with the rest of us? You never know when a knowledgeable plumber will be needed :)

C

chico bill

The way trade school works here is they hand you light switch ,if you hook it up and it works your electrician if not your plumber ;) I’m lucky I have an actual Plummer installed 4 toilets in 2 hrs finished.. I’m in Sosua I assume he bought them from Luciano because he left came back 20 minutes later with them and new valves for water supply to toilet for mine where semi seized

They sell them everywhere, even the ones with the tapered plastic cone that fits in the pipe.

W

windeguy

White cement as it is sold here is typically plaster of paris. Not something terribly useful to attach or protect anything.

L

lifeisgreat

I will ask again at Luciano, the next time I need one. Thx. Interested in sharing your plumber's contact info with the rest of us? You never know when a knowledgeable plumber will be needed :)
His name is Euclides and lives close to david tire shop unfortunately I’m out of DR now and don’t have his number with me when I get back in I will PM you..

L

lifeisgreat

25 yrs ago if you lived Sosua weekly trips to Puerto Plata and monthly to Santiago grocery shopping ...now you can buy almost anything locally...

B

Big

and don't forget the wax Seal .

Make a card board Cutout . being perfectly centered is extremely important .

you mean to rob me of the aroma of raw sewage that adds to the ambiance of my tropical experience, what next ? working faucets in restrooms

J

jd426

White cement as it is sold here is typically plaster of paris. Not something terribly useful to attach or protect anything.

It is actually VERY useful,, used by Master Plumbers to completely LEVEL a toilet to perfection.. but it has to be bolted down, and perfectly centered as well, on a relatively FLAT surface ... the Plaster of paris keeps the toilet for ROCKING, as it cushions it all around the surface area which would otherwise not be touching the tile floor..
and only a Millimeter of rocking is enough to cause problems ..
I have done it , and it works wonderfully, again in conjunction with doing it the right way ..

M

monfongo

As a licensed plumber( MA) i've installed more toilets than i care to remember, i've used plaster of Paris many times to keep them from rocking. I don't see where a wax ring is going to do you much good if you don't install a closet flange.

J

jd426

the wax ring seals the toilet to the tube so that it is air tight and no bad smell can escape.
the wax doesn't do anything for the rocking.

I would bed it in sikaflex, might be the brand name though. but you can get that stuff here easily.
just installing one.

thank you for that , but I dont think anyone here stated anything about the wax seal helping to stop the rocking ..
we were defending the use of Plaster of Paris .
Some of us have done & watched Plumbers do dozens & dozens of toilets , and Mofongo as per his posts has probably done hundreds ..
its a Gas Seal , nothing more .

C

chico bill

Sikaflex is a selfgleveling cement adhesive. Great product but pricey and needs to be taped off to prevent running. If you have a level tile floor and a good casting on a toilet you should not need leveling or shims. I would say as a contractor I've installed new or changed more toilets than I care to count.?
You need plumbers putting for the tank bolts to base (not silicone) and all you need for bonding the floor to base is a white silicone caulking. It bonds and sticks better than white Cement ever will and flexes slightly when fat uncle Javier has a morning thunder with the morning paper in hand. Plus it can be shaved off if the toilet needs resetting.

M

monfongo

level floor ? You forget this is the DR, bad casting, i've installed many, you don't go running back to the plumbing supply because the bowl is a little off.

C

chico bill

level floor ? You forget this is the DR, bad casting, i've installed many, you don't go running back to the plumbing supply because the bowl is a little off.

Well the castings her from Colombia, Peru (I have not seen the local castings) or some from Mexico would not pass the standard of Kohler, Elgin or American Standard brands sold up North, so yes maybe the bases on toilets here are warped and require shimming before applying a caulking between the base and tile