why DR1??

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

badpiece33

I have been a member of this community for a very long time, I may not agree with alot of people all the time but I am going to be b brutally honest, DR1 has gotten very boring, you have banned so many people you have made this site so politically correct that it is sickening. Why cant you let these threads go like it was before, for Gods sake you are all as boring as sin. I know this thread will be closed but those of you here for the last 10+ years know I am 100% correct. Face book will kill this page eventually because of the PC police here. Just my rant, bet its closed soon

U

Uzin

I don't quite agree, the problem is off-topic subject like politics and religion of other countries that have been allowed to be discussed on a forum dedicated to a small island. People feel passionate about those subject, get wound up and angry and that carries over to other threads (as someone recently mentioned).

I think if someone wants to discuss politics of other countries should go to forums dedicated to them (I myself guilty of posting Brexit stuff, but don't mind if it was banned)... !

Anything to do with DR will be fine (including politics/religion) but why so much other countries... !? (perhaps it should be limited to certain days or certain number of posts etc.). I think that maybe the reason many threads getting out of hand and basically a waste of time AND boring... A few guys squabbling over and over about some vendetta carried over from off-topic threads is just waste of forum space - though that might increase post numbers and certain counters and stats, maybe what the management likes... !

In any case, I still enjoy DR related stuff and appreciate the input by many helpful and knowledgeable contributors (even though their numbers are decreasing)...

T

the gorgon

I have been a member of this community for a very long time, I may not agree with alot of people all the time but I am going to be b brutally honest, DR1 has gotten very boring, you have banned so many people you have made this site so politically correct that it is sickening. Why cant you let these threads go like it was before, for Gods sake you are all as boring as sin. I know this thread will be closed but those of you here for the last 10+ years know I am 100% correct. Face book will kill this page eventually because of the PC police here. Just my rant, bet its closed soon

this is a pet subject of mine, even though i do not bother to post in certain threads any more. my favorite thread is the RacerX music thread, and a few anodyne discussions. i will not engage in anything involving matters of race and social importance, because they cannot be successfully debated on DR1.

you make mention of the fact that Facebook will kill DR1, eventually. that is because of the way it is formatted. when i go on a facebook page, i am usually among people with whom i went to school, or with whom i grew up, or with whom i worked, or with whom i socialize, or have socialized in the past. the connection between us has created a condition in which they respect me sufficiently to have a civil discussion, even if we have a difference of opinion. i can spend hours on that site responding to assertions and stating a viewpoint without having to fend off insults.

DR1 is a buddy club, and only certain people are allowed to discuss certain issues. people want to discuss politics in America and Europe, but they want to pontificate on politics which are devoid of race, which, in the cases of the USA and Europe, is nonsensical. yet, when the people of color on the site try to introduce such realities, the folly begins about the ''race card'', and they get drowned out by those who would rather ignore the subject, or shout opposing voices down. just look at what happened to Greydread the day he tried to return to posting after a long absence...it was like an attack by a dog pack...a dozen guys, half of whom post very infrequently, all attacked him in unison, as if to deliver the message that his opinion was not wanted there.

with the increasing reach of facebook and its dedicated spaces, and other pages like expat.com, which serves the same purpose, it will be interesting to see how long the status quo will hold on DR1.

E

El Rey de Mangu

I have always liked the site, well the group of folks that I found when I joined. The conversations were meaningful, fun and helpful. I recall a smart, experienced bunch of members. I see many are still around, some not so much. I always enjoyed a spirited debate - some sarcasm, a few pot shots - makes things interesting.

You can go over to one of those FB pages like Everything... and you get, in my opinion, the lowest common denominator of expat experience. Folks trying to replicate liberal "merica" on the north coast. Save the whales, kill plastic, adopt an aids-ridden street dog, save the "poor Dominicans" from their miserable, hopeless existence". Oh Puh-leeze! "Hola people! We're back on the island! Yay!!! Does anyone know where I can find organic milk?, does anyone know where I can get my eyes examed?" "You'll never believe what happened to me when I hit a moto-guy today" wtf is a "moto" anyway? I know what a concho is, I know what a "motor or motocicleta" is, I know what a pasola is. Just this week I saw some genius is now exploiting 10k/month domestic workers and motoconchos in some social media gringo business venture.

I'll take DR1 anyday. There's a community here of experienced, wise individuals - even though you may suffer a few pot shots in the process

T

the gorgon

I have always liked the site, well the group of folks that I found when I joined. The conversations were meaningful, fun and helpful. I recall a smart, experienced bunch of members. I see many are still around, some not so much. I always enjoyed a spirited debate - some sarcasm, a few pot shots - makes things interesting.

You can go over to one of those FB pages like Everything... and you get, in my opinion, the lowest common denominator of expat experience. Folks trying to replicate liberal "merica" on the north coast. Save the whales, kill plastic, adopt an aids-ridden street dog, save the "poor Dominicans" from their miserable, hopeless existence". Oh Puh-leeze! "Hola people! We're back on the island! Yay!!! Does anyone know where I can find organic milk?, does anyone know where I can get my eyes examed?" "You'll never believe what happened to me when I hit a moto-guy today" wtf is a "moto" anyway? I know what a concho is, I know what a "motor or motocicleta" is, I know what a pasola is. Just this week I saw some genius is now exploiting 10k/month domestic workers and motoconchos in some social media gringo business venture.

I'll take DR1 anyday. There's a community here of experienced, wise individuals - even though you may suffer a few pot shots in the process

a debate is an event in which both sides of an issue get to be heard. if your side gets to be heard, of course you will find things acceptable.

W

william webster

You can still get good advice...
I did it just the other day--- asked about license renewal

within an hour , I had my answer and was on my way

The other stuff- the boring part - is boring, yes

T

the gorgon

You can still get good advice...
I did it just the other day--- asked about license renewal

within an hour , I had my answer and was on my way

The other stuff- the boring part - is boring, yes

DR1 does have some guys with big knowledge on certain matters. that reality has never been in dispute. where it collapses under its weight is the fact that it has been appropriated by 10 or so guys, referred to in certain quarters as ''usual suspects'', who have completely taken it over...

E

El Rey de Mangu

DR1 does have some guys with big knowledge on certain matters. that reality has never been in dispute. where it collapses under its weight is the fact that it has been appropriated by 10 or so guys, referred to in certain quarters as ''usual suspects'', who have completely taken it over...

I guess that's how you explain 33K posts :ermm:

B

bigbird

......I have been a member of this community for a very long time, I may not agree with alot of people all the time but I am going to be b brutally honest, DR1 has gotten very boring, you have banned so many people you have made this site so politically correct that it is sickening. Why cant you let these threads go like it was before, for Gods sake you are all as boring as sin. I know this thread will be closed but those of you here for the last 10+ years know I am 100% correct. Face book will kill this page eventually because of the PC police here. Just my rant, bet its closed soon

For now I will just comment on two points in your post.

Yes several members have been banned recently but I think for just cause. The members who were banned was for posting personal attacks on other members. This, in my opinion, should not be tolerated.

Will this thread be closed? I will step out on a limb and say no. The new powers to be seem interested in what members have to say to make dr1 a better board. The former boss man would shut a thread down in a heart beat if you said anything negative about dr1.

G

GuillermoRamon

Forgive my "diatribe", but I totally understand why as many people get banned from here/certain forums, it's for a multitude of reasons, with points mentioned below. Feybooo is not really different than here, people can be banned from groups as is done here, each group has an Admin, its not different really, that's ultimately a moot point. What it really comes down to is a level of toxicity, I have my opinion as to why all the saltiness exists, nobody need agree nor disagree with my view, its just my view...

I see it as these basic things:

1) With the advent of the internet, and then subsequent websites/forums such as this, it allows people to be "keyboard warriors". It allows people to say whatever they want, with whatever level of aggression, truth, and bias they see fit. They can take on an alter ego & spew whatever they please to a broad audience they would never otherwise obtain socially. I pretty much guarantee, that face to face, most people wouldn't say what they do online.

2) Too many take any sort of retort, or any counterpoint as an attack. This can be any multitude of things, from insecure, to past issues whereby they never had a voice, and the list goes on, I'm not a counselor, and not going to be one here...

3) There are countless people who insist their opinion is fact, yet cannot factually back up any of what they say. These are generally the "know it all's". They will always know more than you, yet typically these people have done very little in their lives, and use it as an "I am better than you" crutch.

4) Trolls - These are just people who enjoy stringing other people along, these people intentionally spend time in their lives trying to waste other peoples time. I find them interesting, because, didn't you just waste your own time, considering you spent "X" minutes in your life, with nothing tangible to show for it?

T

the gorgon

I guess that's how you explain 33K posts :ermm:

i don't have to explain anything. i am a grown man, all of 70 years of age, and i own my computer, and pay my internet bill, without anyone's help. if i want to make 3 million posts, i should not have to explain anything, to anyone.

T

the gorgon

For now I will just comment on two points in your post.

Yes several members have been banned recently but I think for just cause. The members who were banned was for posting personal attacks on other members. This, in my opinion, should not be tolerated.

Will this thread be closed? I will step out on a limb and say no. The new powers to be seem interested in what members have to say to make dr1 a better board. The former boss man would shut a thread down in a heart beat if you said anything negative about dr1.

i once expressed the same thing to the former boss man, who replied to me that if he ever heard me say anything negative about the site he would ban me for life...

remember when the boss man started the thread with the revolving moderators? remember how certain guys had just about everything they posted deleted?

remember how quickly the thread closed when Island Dreaming became the mod?

E

El Rey de Mangu

i don't have to explain anything. i am a grown man, all of 70 years of age, and i own my computer, and pay my internet bill, without anyone's help. if i want to make 3 million posts, i should not have to explain anything, to anyone.

Sorry, Gorgon. Didn't mean to offend you. You said the site has been hijacked by the "10 usual suspects". I assume you were one of the 10 top posters. Maybe I should have phrased it differently. Clearly I don't mind either way - I enjoy reading your posts.

T

the gorgon

Sorry, Gorgon. Didn't mean to offend you. You said the site has been hijacked by the "10 usual suspects". I assume you were one of the 10 top posters. Maybe I should have phrased it differently. Clearly I don't mind either way - I enjoy reading your posts.

i kinda sensed that you probably did not mean any offense. my bad.

as an aside, i have a gazillion posts because i post on many subjects. a large portion of the tunes on the Racer thread are my suggestions. i post recipes. i post on car buying and selling...i have a wide range of interests, so i will have more postings than guys who post about Trump 24/7.

U

user123

This site has jumped the shark a long time ago. I visit every other day to see if there are any interesting topics, but rarely there are anymore.

W

william webster

i once expressed the same thing to the former boss man, who replied to me that if he ever heard me say anything negative about the site he would ban me for life...

remember when the boss man started the thread with the revolving moderators? remember how certain guys had just about everything they posted deleted?

remember how quickly the thread closed when Island Dreaming became the mod?

Musical Moderators...
That was the dumbest thing ever.... and ended like it
No experience necessary.... like the inmates running the asylum

T

the gorgon

Musical Moderators...
That was the dumbest thing ever.... and ended like it
No experience necessary.... like the inmates running the asylum

musical moderators? are you serious?

when was that?

what was their function?

W