The Population of Sosúa

N

NALs

In the Censo 2010 Sosúa had a population just under 50,000 and Cabarete, which is an area belonging to Sosúa, was around 14,000.

A new census is suppose to take place in 2020, but what is the estimate for the current population in this area? Expats make 5% at most?

W

windeguy

I have lived in the region since 2003, yet there is no way I can make an estimate of the percentage of expats.

E

El Rey de Mangu

I have lived in the region since 2003, yet there is no way I can make an estimate of the percentage of expats.

I generally go by the amount of complaints on Everything "fill in your north coast city" on how come DR is the way it is and why it cant be more like "Merica". That and the amount of posts related to trying to find homes for perros callejeros or folks looking for volunteers to pick up garbage on the beach.

C

chico bill

It would be nice to know exact numbers but of course putting a question of nationality on the census would be wrong, we have learned.

D

drstock

During the last census I declined to say I was living here, as I didn't have Residency at the time. With a transient population like we have here, it will always be inaccurate.

Z

zoomzx11

It would be nice to know exact numbers but of course putting a question of nationality on the census would be wrong, we have learned.

I do not think the citizenship question was ever determined to be "wrong".
Courts recognized that the motive behind adding a citizenship question to the census was a political move to influence voting.
The question itself is not wrong if it is added for honest reasons. The courts did not like the dishonesty.
US constitution requires the census to count people, not citizens.
Apparently it is all ok as the needed information turned out to be easily found elsewhere.

As far as knowing exact number here I have little confidence in the Dominican census accuracy.
For the last census no one ever asked me or the family anything.
Out of curiosity I asked around the neighborhood and could not find a single person who had any knowledge of being counted or questioned for the census.
I can understand missing a gringo or two but an entire neighborhood?

W

windeguy

Excellent point on the DR census taking being totally inaccurate. I would not expect it to be anything else but inaccurate.

C

Caonabo

On an unofficial calculation basis, do year long residents of 10+ years within this community see more or less persons in similar situations as themselves (as year long residents)? Not snowbirds or tourists, but actual residents.

W

windeguy

On an unofficial calculation basis, do year long residents of 10+ years within this community see more or less persons in similar situations as themselves (as year long residents)? Not snowbirds or tourists, but actual residents.

More houses have been built in my development, as much as 20 to 30 more since I arrived 16 years ago. Yes, there are more full time year long expats. Quite a few more houses have been built over the same period in Casa Linda and Sosua Ocean Village as well. Casa Linda has two entirely new locations for their development since I moved here and the scope of Sosua Ocean village is much greater than I realized until after my first visit last year to Maria's Restaurant in Sosua Ocean Village.

Keep in mind that while the percentage of expats has increased by as much as 20 to 30% in my development , the total numbers that is in the tens (not hundreds) of people are not large when it comes to my locale. The same would apply to other areas, but expats are clearly on the increase. We have a builder that builds one or two houses all of the time now. Two more are being built by him on my street as we speak. He is a Russian builder that has figured out how to build, sell and make a profit - then rinse and repeat. Casa Linda does the same kind of thing and SOV has many houses as well, but not sure how many are for sale there.

Last edited:
W

windeguy

I generally go by the amount of complaints on Everything "fill in your north coast city" on how come DR is the way it is and why it cant be more like "Merica". That and the amount of posts related to trying to find homes for perros callejeros or folks looking for volunteers to pick up garbage on the beach.

Oh, you definitely hit that one on the head. Spot on. I most definitely know of those people. Not good fits for a place like this. Such an approach leads to misery. To use your above line of thinking:

There will always be those who think they are the tail that can wag the dog.