Rules about passport renewal

A

Alltimegreat

Can a Dominican passport be renewed at any time (as is the case for US passports), or does a person need to wait until shortly before it expires?

P

PICHARDO

Dominican passport books can be renewed at anytime, always that is due to the any of some conditions:

Lost
Expiring or expired
Damaged
Illegible
Mutilated or missing pages
already filled all pages, needed space for new stamps
Change or updated errors on name/DOB/other
Class change
Upgrade to latest issued update
Picture actualization
Markings not approved for usage
Other...

Pretty much you can get a new Passport renewal for varied reasons, but a fully intact and in proper condition passport might be denied renewal if found no good reason to change it. If you are planning travel that will be within of the expiry date of the passport on exit or travel, you can get it renewed at any time!

A

Alltimegreat

Thanks. And how far in advance of the expiration date can I renew my passport if none of the aforementioned conditions apply?

C

Cdn_Gringo

As a general guideline, within a year of expiration unless you make the case that you will be out of the country within six months of the expiry date. Some countries are sticklers for six months of passport validity past the ticketed date of a travelers departure from the country - a condition of entry.

S

SKY

Last time I renewed it was about 4-5 months before the due date. It was no problem.

R

Riva_31

Last time I renewed it was about 4-5 months before the due date. It was no problem.

I did mine 4 months before expired, you can not travel to the most of countries if by the day of your arrival to the 2nd country your passport expire in less than 6 months the airline will refuse to make the check in telling that your passport do not have 6 months of validity.

A

Alltimegreat

I was finally able to obtain a response from a consular officer.

Unless there is a valid reason such as loss, theft, damage, name change, etc., a Dominican passport holder must wait until one year before expiration before being permitted to apply for renewal.

W

william webster

It's the travel part-- remaining passport validity that is key

Like many things -
too old is not good !!

hahaha

A

Alltimegreat

It would seem like a reasonable option to apply the US system in this case, which allows passport holders to renew whenever they wish to (for the full fee of course). It would add flexibility and potentially generate more money for the Dominican government. Even an early renew fee would be fine.

S

SKY

I was finally able to obtain a response from a consular officer.

Unless there is a valid reason such as loss, theft, damage, name change, etc., a Dominican passport holder must wait until one year before expiration before being permitted to apply for renewal.

This seems fair to me.

R

Riva_31

It would seem like a reasonable option to apply the US system in this case, which allows passport holders to renew whenever they wish to (for the full fee of course). It would add flexibility and potentially generate more money for the Dominican government. Even an early renew fee would be fine.

I remember when was announced they will be replacing the book for a new one, they said that persons that their passports didnt expire if they try to renew will get same old book type, not the new one.

S

SKY

I remember when was announced they will be replacing the book for a new one, they said that persons that their passports didnt expire if they try to renew will get same old book type, not the new one.

I doubt very much that this is the case now. By now they must not even be making the old type.