Internet - who has better fiber optic Claro vs Altice ?

C

cmantis

I am moving to Santo Domingo and have confirmed fiber optic internet is available from both Claro and Altice.

Claro is offering 100/10 speeds while Altice claims 200/20.

Claro is slightly more expensive but not much. I know these speeds are "up to" meaning not promised and still both very fast.

So really which company is better and more reliable? Especially before I enter into a long term contract.

Thank you in advance!

C

chico bill

Claro and if you get 30% of the speed they promise count yourself lucky

C

cmantis

claro. I have altice and don't recommend

Would you mind explaining why you dont like Altice?

I sort of had a feeling Claro and know you never get advertised speeds and Altice "offering" twice" the speed for a tiny bit less sounded too good to be true.

K

keepcoming

Claro. We live in Santo Domingo and I recommend Claro. IMO Altice is not reliable. Their offer may seem better but it is their reliability that is not what they claim it is.

C

CristoRey

I've yet to see internet anywhere in this country
provided by Claro or Altice that was worth a sh*t.

B

bienamor

Would you mind explaining why you dont like Altice?

I sort of had a feeling Claro and know you never get advertised speeds and Altice "offering" twice" the speed for a tiny bit less sounded too good to be true.

What keepcoming said above the reliability sucks

A

AlterEgo

Claro 100%

Altice is a disaster.

This thread has been an eye opener for me. We’ve always had Claro, but in our campo Altice has a much better signal, not even close. We were planning to switch, but if it’s unreliable, it’s useless.

B

Bred

This thread has been an eye opener for me. We’ve always had Claro, but in our campo Altice has a much better signal, not even close. We were planning to switch, but if it’s unreliable, it’s useless.

Are you talking about fiber optics, as the title of the thread suggests? In campo?

A

AlterEgo

Are you talking about fiber optics, as the title of the thread suggests? In campo?

No, just regular service. I can only dream about fiber optics in campo. Are you saying it’s only Alitice’s fiber optic that’s bad?

C

caribmike

I used / use both, fiber optic services from Claro and Altice as well in Santo Domingo and now in Santiago.

No complains about any of them. Altice works better for me in Santiago than it did in Santo Domingo though.

B

Bred

No, just regular service. I can only dream about fiber optics in campo. Are you saying it’s only Alitice’s fiber optic that’s bad?

By "regular" you mean 3G/4G (wireless) or wired (old copper lines)? On copper lines Claro is very bad. Altice (Orange) never had copper lines here. 3G/4G/LTE - depends on the coverage area and how many people get the service from a particular tower, and how far from the tower, and whether or not you have a line of sight to the tower. Heavy vegetation and buildings block wireless transmission badly. You are lucky to be in a good coverage area for Altice. Other have better luck with Claro - they have more towers in this country. It all depends on many factors.

Judging my experience in Sosua - I have a very good luck with Claro fiber, and not so good with Altice fiber.