Casa Linda-Info

Z

zuma48

I am looking at a place in Casa Linda North Coast.

Can some one tell me the pros and cons of this community?

Thank you!

E

El Rey de Mangu

Big issue for some friends of mine was some of these places are rented short term for bachelor parties etc. pUtaS and loud music, folks in and out all weekend long...

B

Big

Big issue for some friends of mine was some of these places are rented short term for bachelor parties etc. pUtaS and loud music, folks in and out all weekend long...

Any place where you can rent a house and pool for 85 dollars a night you're gonna get some rif-raf

H

Harleysrock

I have 2 close friends who love living in there. There are some nice trails to go walking in there and their areas are peaceful and they like their neighbours etc.

I used to really not like casa Linda in the places I have stayed there for petsitting bc as El Ray said there were loud people renting around in the 3 different areas I have been in. Unfortunately I saw and heard differnt people having sex etc...wish I could get the pics out of my head...
If you want to buy make sure it isn’t in an area with those rentals all the time.
The houses are quite close together as well but many love it. In the areas where there aren’t loud renters it seems quiet and is nice.
Personally I would say stay away from the 3rd phase up from the other 2.
Remember just bc you are in a gated community doesn’t mean you don’t also have to take care of your security at your house as well.

I would highly suggest renting in there in the area you want to buy before you buy to make sure you like it!!!! Lots of people think they can live here, can’t bc of the cultural differences and are stuck with a home they can’t sell. Casa Linda should be better for selling than other areas though.
Make sure there is a deslinde, if there isn’t one you should be paying less and I personally would not buy without one but others do and chance it.

Good luck wherever you choose but I would suggest against buying highly until you have rented in the area for a year. It will not be a waste of money to do this, it could save you a lot of money in the long run if paradise is not what you thought it was.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Casa Linda like many other gated residential communities has a set of rules. It is important that you read and understand the rules before committing to a long term rental or real estate purchase. Often a rule or two does not seem very significant until some later date when your needs or circumstances change.

The sage advice is to always rent for a year before you decide to buy a house anywhere in this country. Buying is easy but selling can take a very long time. Promises made by sales people need to be taken with a grain of salt. Making a promise to rent your property and maintain it when you are not here is easy to make, sometimes more difficult to fulfill than you are led to believe.

Neighbors can be for life. Meet your neighbors before you decide. If you look at a house to rent/buy on the only day that year that there isn't a rip roaring party going on until 4 AM you could be pretty annoyed a lot of the time, especially if you aren't invited.

I've met people happy with Case Linda and a few that were not so happy. Me, I'd rent a place inside the community for six months to a year and then decide if a change of scenery is desirable before committing further. Even if Casa Linda turns out to be your dream location, maybe in general Sosua won't be. To live in Sosua you do have to give up a few things or make some compromises. You can't get much further away from Santo Domingo where most foreigners need to go every few years for immigration and lots of other official processes. The first couple of times, the day long trip can be a bit of a fun adventure. The fun part quickly wanes though.

Let us know where and when the house warming will be.

Reactions: Independent Man
E

El Rey de Mangu

I would say, between Harley's and Cdn's posts, you have all you need to know about Casa Linda. (I wouldn't ordinarily put my 2 cents in twice, but this is a favorite subject of mine) I would like to add something about living in the D of R or any other "3rd world joint". I guess if I were to turn the clock back 15 years, I would have asked myself do I want the "local" experience vs the "casa linda" or the "beach condo". I know bags of folks in each environment, and I have always lived "local" because I never had the financial status for a "casa linda".

I would say, now after 15 years, if I had the money for a place where I could be in "Little Murica" or "Little Canada" (I don't have a cute nickname for Canada), I would be there. I do, now, live in a non-Dominican apartment complex, and it is very quiet, clean and lovely. My neighbors speak Russian, so I don't understand what they are saying which is a big plus. I have a a retired Swiss neighbor and an ex-Wall street guy neighbor, whom both I really enjoy talking to.

Most folks who buy in a "casa linda" project, are those that most likely have the finances to enclose themselves in a community where one would not be able to tell if you were in Florida or DR. "Most" of the folks I know who live there have little-to-no Spanish skills and understand very, very little about the DR and it's people. If they need something, they generally hop on an "Everything [name your North coast town]" website, where they can chat with 20K others who know almost nothing about the place either. There they can ask where to buy organic and vegan stuff, help save the whales, pick up garbage on the beaches or get recommendations for skilled labor. Of course, all of them have their "go-to people" and are most certainly being ripped off on a daily basis, as their local knowledge is so "vast".

So I guess if you you know nothing about DR, don't "peaky pany", want to be able to flush your toilet paper down the actual toilet and have the financial capacity, then a "casa linda" may be for you (if you don't mind the occasional rap music and pUtA party 3 doors down)

Last edited:
Z

zuma48

Thank you for your input El Rey de Mangu. I am curious which complex you are in, I would reachout via PM but I do not have that permission yet for some reason. My wife is from Santiago and we have been visiting the island for 20+ years. We will be renting for at least 6 months before making any decisions. We like Caberete a lot vs Sosua and Casa Linda is close to Caberete. We looked at Sosua ocean villilage as wellbut have heard negative things regarding the management and owners of the complex... Unfortunately we are looking for some owner/developer finacing so our options are limited. Thanks

I would say, between Harley's and Cdn's posts, you have all you need to know about Casa Linda. (I wouldn't ordinarily put my 2 cents in twice, but this is a favorite subject of mine) I would like to add something about living in the D of R or any other "3rd world joint". I guess if I were to turn the clock back 15 years, I would have asked myself do I want the "local" experience vs the "casa linda" or the "beach condo". I know bags of folks in each environment, and I have always lived "local" because I never had the financial status for a "casa linda".

I would say, now after 15 years, if I had the money for a place where I could be in "Little Murica" or "Little Canada" (I don't have a cute nickname for Canada), I would be there. I do, now, live in a non-Dominican apartment complex, and it is very quiet, clean and lovely. My neighbors speak Russian, so I don't understand what they are saying which is a big plus. I have a a retired Swiss neighbor and an ex-Wall street guy neighbor, whom both I really enjoy talking to.

Most folks who buy in a "casa linda" project, are those that most likely have the finances to enclose themselves in a community where one would not be able to tell if you were in Florida or DR. "Most" of the folks I know who live there have little-to-no Spanish skills and understand very, very little about the DR and it's people. If they need something, they generally hop on an "Everything [name your North coast town]" website, where they can chat with 20K others who know almost nothing about the place either. There they can ask where to buy organic and vegan stuff, help save the whales, pick up garbage on the beaches or get recommendations for skilled labor. Of course, all of them have their "go-to people" and are most certainly being ripped off on a daily basis, as their local knowledge is so "vast".

So I guess if you you know nothing about DR, don't "peaky pany", want to be able to flush your toilet paper down the actual toilet and have the financial capacity, then a "casa linda" may be for you (if you don't mind the occasional rap music and pUtA party 3 doors down)

E

El Rey de Mangu

Thank you for your input El Rey de Mangu. I am curious which complex you are in, I would reachout via PM but I do not have that permission yet for some reason. My wife is from Santiago and we have been visiting the island for 20+ years. We will be renting for at least 6 months before making any decisions. We like Caberete a lot vs Sosua and Casa Linda is close to Caberete. We looked at Sosua ocean villilage as wellbut have heard negative things regarding the management and owners of the complex... Unfortunately we are looking for some owner/developer finacing so our options are limited. Thanks

I do not recommend using the above posts to make any sort of binding financial commitment. As Cdn and Harley mentioned, SOP would be to rent 6 months as a proof of concept. This way you avoid the "first night surprise" [also known as the "first weekend surprise", or the Semana Santa surprise].

Casa Linda has some very lovely homes, but you need to do your due diligence just like any investment

Z

zuma48

Yes, for sure. I agree. Holidays can be quite the festival and election time is interesting too... :)

H

Harleysrock

What is"deslinde"? Thanks

“Beginning on April 4, 2007, a new Property Registration Law (Law No. 108-05) involving the Deslinde Process came into effect. Prior to the enactment of this law, almost all real estate sales were made without a plan approved by the State (“boundary”) because this process took years to complete. However, the new law limits sales, purchases, mortgages, and formation of condominiums on properties that have not been demarcated by putting this requirement that the property is demarcated (deslinde) as the paramount requirement.

More than a simple measurement of the land, a boundary is a formal procedure performed by a licensed surveyor and under the supervision of the courts. Thus, a property is individualized relative to other surrounding properties, assigning a cadastral designation and its own unique Certificate of Title. Before the deslinde process, your property is officially only a piece of land within a larger plot, owned by several persons, all with the same cadastral designation. The interests of each of the owners of the various portions of land within the same plot are determined by its possession. In most jurisdictions worldwide, the demarcation process is required, thus a transfer no specified land portions. The purpose of the Land Registry Act is precisely the level of sophistication and security first world jurisdictions have had for many years by not allowing the transfer of ownership rights to land is not demarcated.”

People will try and sell you places without a deslinde and say it will come soon. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't.
I was told 7 years ago never buy land without a clear title and deslinde here bc of potential problems. So I haven’t and won’t.
I’ve seen people with issues but I am no expert on it. Just be careful, a good realtor really should not be showing you properties without one in my opinion. I know casa linda has houses without Deslinde’s.

Z

zuma48

Deslinde

Thank you Harleysrock!

“Beginning on April 4, 2007, a new Property Registration Law (Law No. 108-05) involving the Deslinde Process came into effect. Prior to the enactment of this law, almost all real estate sales were made without a plan approved by the State (“boundary”) because this process took years to complete. However, the new law limits sales, purchases, mortgages, and formation of condominiums on properties that have not been demarcated by putting this requirement that the property is demarcated (deslinde) as the paramount requirement.

More than a simple measurement of the land, a boundary is a formal procedure performed by a licensed surveyor and under the supervision of the courts. Thus, a property is individualized relative to other surrounding properties, assigning a cadastral designation and its own unique Certificate of Title. Before the deslinde process, your property is officially only a piece of land within a larger plot, owned by several persons, all with the same cadastral designation. The interests of each of the owners of the various portions of land within the same plot are determined by its possession. In most jurisdictions worldwide, the demarcation process is required, thus a transfer no specified land portions. The purpose of the Land Registry Act is precisely the level of sophistication and security first world jurisdictions have had for many years by not allowing the transfer of ownership rights to land is not demarcated.”

People will try and sell you places without a deslinde and say it will come soon. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't.
I was told 7 years ago never buy land without a clear title and deslinde here bc of potential problems. So I haven’t and won’t.
I’ve seen people with issues but I am no expert on it. Just be careful, a good realtor really should not be showing you properties without one in my opinion. I know casa linda has houses without Deslinde’s.

E

El Rey de Mangu

THIS ^^^^

If you are looking for help in Sosua, I recommend Martin at Coldwell Banker

T

tripp789

[/QUOTE] Unfortunately I saw and heard differnt people having sex etc...wish I could get the pics out of my head...
[/QUOTE]

I rarely have sex with someone else. Why embarrass two of us? [emoji3061]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk