Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 178
  1. #161
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCMike View Post
    Finished my residency renewal on Friday morning.

    Step one was done in early May. Took all of 1.5 hours for everything and then on my way.

    I checked daily as to my appointment status. FYI...even if your residency is in a renewal process and you have paid the money, they will still charge you a penalty at the airport if leaving the country. As you cannot renew within a month of the expiry....and they set the renewal appointment, at times you card actually expires! After an argument (I know...wasting my time), I finally gave in and paid it. My interview was on May 17th...I flew on June 15th...within the 30-day period...but of course, they said ....no...I have to pay.

    Cheers,
    PCMike
    This is really amazing, after going through all the hoops and becoming a resident, you are considered "illegal" and pay that exit fee/fine at the airport during "renewal" period of your residency... ! So much for having a one up on poor "illegal" over-stayers...! (Note that over-stayers are described as illegal because of paying that exit fee...)

    No wonder many don't bother with residency when treated like this.... (I wonder, can you also be considered illegal alien when it comes to driving license or insurance or.... etc. , during this period you mentioned above !!!? stay locked up in your house or else.... lol).

  2. #162
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The same happened to my wife... she was in renewal....

    had to pay to leave.
    In fairness, they tell you not to leave - expired residency they said--- it was
    she wouldn't listen......

  3. #163
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    25,967
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    This is really amazing, after going through all the hoops and becoming a resident, you are considered "illegal" and pay that exit fee/fine at the airport during "renewal" period of your residency... ! So much for having a one up on poor "illegal" over-stayers...! (Note that over-stayers are described as illegal because of paying that exit fee...)

    No wonder many don't bother with residency when treated like this.... (I wonder, can you also be considered illegal alien when it comes to driving license or insurance or.... etc. , during this period you mentioned above !!!? stay locked up in your house or else.... lol).
    That wasn't my experience, however that may have changed. While I was waiting for my delayed residensy renewal, and my citizenship I had a letter from the ministry/police and I showed that at customs- I paid nothing.

  4. #164
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    10,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just a quick update: Big Red got her Dominican citizenship last week. I don't know exactly how many years it took, or how much money, but holy hell, it took many, many trips back and forth to SD. Still, she got it, and more then this, she did everything by herself without use of a lawyer. She also did all her residency re-newels by herself without a lawyer!!

    I don't recommend this, by the way (doing it by yourself). No way!! It was such a huge headache. A huge, massive, headache. But I got to give it to her, she did it, and more than this, she also did her own paperwork to get her US K-1 Visa, and then her and her daughter's US Green Cards.

    SO, if nothing else, she's hard-headed and determined!

    She's also fluent in English and Spanish, so she was able to decipher all of the paperwork jargon in both English and Spanish.

    Holy hell, i looked at all of the paperwork, and then threw it to the side of the sofa. It was bigger then an encyclopedia and with "Formal" Spanish and stuff to give you nightmares.

  5. Likes PCMike, Polar Bear, Meemselle liked this post
  6. #165
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bob, I too had a complete file with me including my receipts of payment, a copy of the process (screenshot), plus copies of my pervious cedula and residency. It did not matter.

    BTW..first time ever, when renewing my cedula, they did not retain my expired cedula...same for my friend.

  7. #166
    Silver
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    4,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Type "Immigration Lawyer, Dominican Republic" in Google and one of the more prominent firms who specializes in immigration and offers condos for sale in Santo Domingo comes up.

    I have used this firm in the past, including just (and finally with great difficulty) renewing my Residencia Inversion for 2 more years.

    But something has changed at that firm and I suspect no one cares about clients. In the past it was not like this.
    I had heard some rumors of people never being able to contact them after they paid for their services (this includes on couple I heard of who is out almost $4K) It took me about 35 emails and WhatsApp messages over the course of 3 months to move them along.

    Finally I had an DGM appoint, booked a hotel in SD - went there only to be told by the firm the DGM system "was down" but "OK we have an appointment tomorrow" and "we will pick you up at your hotel at 8:30 AM", so I rose early, showered and was standing like a fool in front of the hotel, till 9 Am. When I contacted them at first they said "we had a unexpected client come in the office this morning and we will be there shortly, wait in the lobby", then at 10 AM - "Oh the DGM system is down again".
    So then I Ubered to DGM and confirmed myself that no system for permanent residencia of any type was down that day or the day before.

    So after I called the owner to express my dissatisfaction - I got the "So Sorry some things are just out of out control", but we will re-book next week and I will get you a free Air BnB. The Air B&B never materialized by the way.

    So I went on Tue (same Hotel), had appointment for 10 AM, we met at DGM but something suspicious was happening. Finally we got in and I got my residencia card, then off to the Junta where I was told I had to pay for the 2nd year plus a 1-month penalty (an extra $ 4,000 pesos) because they had not quoted a price for the 2nd year (even though this was in one of the first e-mails, and their quote). And it was not my fault we were late - I submitted everything 7 weeks ahead of expiration and paid in advance.

    Bottom line avoid this firm, I suspect you will not have a smooth experience, if indeed you get any service at all.

  8. Likes amstellite liked this post
  9. #167
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default DR Government: " Pay a Tax and Extend Your Stay"

    Was leaving PC a few days ago. They now have a booth with a sign TAX.
    Under the sign is a bold letter statement .

    TO EXTEND YOUR STAY IN THE COUNTRY

    And below it is the price you pay to extend your stay. No mention of overstay or fine, or anything else. I guess things are changing, but opposite of the DR fear mongering......................

  10. Likes Derfish liked this post
  11. #168
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,569
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Was leaving PC a few days ago. They now have a booth with a sign TAX.
    Under the sign is a bold letter statement .

    TO EXTEND YOUR STAY IN THE COUNTRY

    And below it is the price you pay to extend your stay. No mention of overstay or fine, or anything else. I guess things are changing, but opposite of the DR fear mongering......................
    That is wonderful news if it is indeed something you can pay on the way into the country and it makes one legal for the amount of time paid for in advance. I very much doubt that is what it is, but it would be great to see such a change.


    Can anyone confirm if it is not just a sign on what you pay going out as it has been for years or is really something knew that nobody else has heard about yet? It certainly goes against what PICHARDO posted again on another thread.

  12. #169
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,569
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Type "Immigration Lawyer, Dominican Republic" in Google and one of the more prominent firms who specializes in immigration and offers condos for sale in Santo Domingo comes up.

    I have used this firm in the past, including just (and finally with great difficulty) renewing my Residencia Inversion for 2 more years.

    But something has changed at that firm and I suspect no one cares about clients. In the past it was not like this.
    I had heard some rumors of people never being able to contact them after they paid for their services (this includes on couple I heard of who is out almost $4K) It took me about 35 emails and WhatsApp messages over the course of 3 months to move them along.

    Finally I had an DGM appoint, booked a hotel in SD - went there only to be told by the firm the DGM system "was down" but "OK we have an appointment tomorrow" and "we will pick you up at your hotel at 8:30 AM", so I rose early, showered and was standing like a fool in front of the hotel, till 9 Am. When I contacted them at first they said "we had a unexpected client come in the office this morning and we will be there shortly, wait in the lobby", then at 10 AM - "Oh the DGM system is down again".
    So then I Ubered to DGM and confirmed myself that no system for permanent residencia of any type was down that day or the day before.

    So after I called the owner to express my dissatisfaction - I got the "So Sorry some things are just out of out control", but we will re-book next week and I will get you a free Air BnB. The Air B&B never materialized by the way.

    So I went on Tue (same Hotel), had appointment for 10 AM, we met at DGM but something suspicious was happening. Finally we got in and I got my residencia card, then off to the Junta where I was told I had to pay for the 2nd year plus a 1-month penalty (an extra $ 4,000 pesos) because they had not quoted a price for the 2nd year (even though this was in one of the first e-mails, and their quote). And it was not my fault we were late - I submitted everything 7 weeks ahead of expiration and paid in advance.

    Bottom line avoid this firm, I suspect you will not have a smooth experience, if indeed you get any service at all.
    You just posted yet another example of why I do what I can to avoid lawyers. And you were dealing with a well known law firm for residency. Chico Bill, Please PM me who that was if you get the chance.

  13. #170
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My alarm went off early with that firm.... I walked - well ran

    Chico will tell you

  14. Likes chico bill, amstellite liked this post
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •